rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Again, as I've said, any questions not being answered are not being answered. :)

We have brake temps, that's all I know right now.

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yay! That's already something! ;)

3. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

Would be great if we can have oil leaks, transmission problems like stock in a gear or something. Can you say something about that, Tim? :)

4. dragon

dragon Registered

Will there be voice commands? For example, change the tires or fuel only, or any command to a mechanic?

5. fazerbox

fazerbox Registered

Hi,

I have developed MapPlugin and GID plugins for rFactor, soon I will release a new GID version.
    Working with Telemetry Structure I think should be usefull to have some extra parameters in Telemetry structure.

1) A flag says rFactor is in Replay Mode and one for PAUSE mode
    2) Info on StartingLight Synchronized. Actually it is a bit delayed. Startinglights infos are stored in struct ScoringInfoV2, that is refreshed about 2 times for second.
    3) Full Path about AIW and GBC file loaded.
    This is usefull, because mTrackMap ( stored in struct TelemInfoBase or in struct ScoringInfoBase) reports only trackname and this is a problem when you have multiple Layout of same track like Vallelunga. Differents layouts all named "valleleunga". In this scenario I cannot load correct AIW file.
    4) Should be usefull some tracks parameters like Sector Length, and Track Length
    5) If possible some cars parameters, like Weight, Engine wear, Brakes wear
    6) About Best Laps.
    float mBestSector1; // best sector 1
    float mBestSector2; // best sector 2 (plus sector 1)
    float mBestLapTime; // best lap time

Actually these parameters may be relative to different Laps, example.
    at 5th lap I did mBestSector1
    at 8th lap I did mBestLapTime
    at 7th lap I did mBestSector2

Instead should be usefull to have sector times relative to Lap of BEST Time.
    Example I do Track Best Lap at 10th laps, I would like to have
    Sector1 time of 10th lap,
    Sector2 time of 10th lap
    Best Lap time of 10th lap.
    These parameters are usefull to calculate Gaps ( Split times)

7) Should be usefull so set frequency refreshing rate of struct TelemInfoV2. Actually it is fixed about 2Hz.

What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance for your response,
    Max.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
  6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

If we are talking about plugins API, I would add some questions/requests.
    I developed LiveViewPlugin and also rF Admin Automation plugin (automaticly add weight penalties, additional commands for reverting grids based on previous resutls etc)

Is there any method to get know that track has been reloaded? rFAA tracks connected drivers and gives them weight penalties if needed. But track reload process is something special: drivers being not disconnected from the server but also does not response on weight change (while client loading a track). It makes a weak point: can't give weight penalty because I don't know if client is listening or no. But I'm sure all weight penalties are zeroed while reloading track (as well as restarting weekend)

There are also a few commands which cannot be set from dedicated server console. For example /vote kick
    I would like to ask for providing following features directly through plugin api
    - sending admin commands
    - sending chat messages
    - getting information about client ping

currently I read/send those info using handle to the UI. but it doesn't work if dedic is run in oneclick mode (GUI is not initialized until click on task icon)

best regards

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No voice commands as far as I'm aware.

8. dragon

dragon Registered

The 2:27 minute video are blocking the wheel. Are there place will be visible as a flat spot? Whether it will be felt on the steering wheel?

9. simfan

simfan Registered

10. dragon

dragon Registered

Oh, thanks.

Ps. Ps. Who is asking do not wander. :p

11. sg333

sg333 Registered

This would be an awesome addition; the ability to make a last second pit stop and shout "four tyres" would be awesome, rather than clumsily scroll through a menu list. I cant tell you how many times i crashed in pit lane in rF1 trying to make changes

I dont know if you can somehow leave the game open to this as a modding option?

12. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

We just need the ability to change strategy settings by the plugin interface, then we could do voice commands as well as intelligent ai doing strategy for you and also a human race engineer which can control your strategy in a web interface for you. everything is possible then, we just need a better plugin interface.

13. tombolt

tombolt Registered

Data output

Will be possible to get data like speed, gear number, and many more to extended applications?. In first Rfactor is great internals plugin system.

14. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Voice commands--just like voice communications there is third party software out there that can already do this very well. With that in mind, when compared to all the other things we have to get done, something like this would be much lower on the priority list. Now, what I can see (if not for release then for an update after that) would be quick commands (such as your "change all four"). That would then make the third party voice command software even more effective...

15. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

On that topic, will it be possible for replays to display car information during the course of the replay? And online, could a driver get car information of another drivers car while watching that car?

16. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

Have asked that Gjon awhile back at msn. It would be great if plugins are working with the replay mode.

17. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

ISI Staff, thank-you for your input and answering of questions.

With regards to flat-spotting. Unsure if this has been asked or mentioned before so apologies if it has:
    1. If the tyre has a flat spot, will the probability of locking up again be increased?
    2. And more importantly, is the tyre damage model programmed so that the probability of flat spotting the tyre on the same flat spot area increased? This in turn will dramatically reduce tyre life with each lock-up event after the initial damage is incurred.

Obviously in real life, if there is a flat spot region on the tyre, each successive lock-up will 'find' the flat spot and the damage/wear of the area increases non-linearly (don't know about exponentially, but definitely greater than linearly).

MATLAB+simulink is a very powerful tool, it is common place in the aero industry and we use it extensively.

18. prentf1

prentf1 Registered

That's a very good idea indeed!!! I strongly recommand it!:cool:

19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

As for telemetry plugins working with replays or online on other drivers - there's a reason why they're not working.

To be able to see more detailed info about other players cars, much more data would need to be sent over net. Much more data per player means much less players at the same connection speed - it's as simple as that.
    With replays it's not that much of a problem, but it still means bigger file and of course telemetry on replay could work for player's car only. Adding this feature means extra work for something that would have limited use anyway.

20. vilivili

vilivili Registered

Will the new tyre model be suitable for drifting? with the old one bigger drift angles and drifting was impossible.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.