rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

And that neatly brings us back to the question I asked a few pages ago. Is rF2 going to have some sort of system to precisely detect if a car left the track, and penalize if there's an advantage gained.

2. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

I am extremely interested in helping rFactor 2's development in any way possible. As is Volkswagen's 2010 TDI Jetta cup's 3rd place finisher and Rookie of the Year winner Wyatt Gooden. Really looking forward to any opportunity to improve on an already fantastic franchise.

3. lightspeed

lightspeed Registered

Would be great if rf2 would be released with some LMS/ALMS type racing, more classes the better, I hope you guys make it a priority!

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I sincerely hope the cheating issue is not one where people expect perfection. Obviously it would be good if the more simple exploits are blocked, but no system is ever cheat-proof and no one should ever expect it to be.

What a lot of cheats don't seem to realise, mind you, is that the program they found via google has probably been found by league admins too - and because what they do is really not all that complex (or difficult) they're also pretty easy to detect. That doesn't help in the public room situation, obviously, but that comes back to just accepting that no system is perfect and there will always be some cheating.

There are plenty of games, first-person shooters especially, that have pretty well developed anti-cheat systems but it's widely acknowledged that a fair few players online are cheating. I think it's easier to cheat in a subtle fashion in a driving game, where there are so many factors that can have an almost imperceptible effect yet make a crucial tenth or two difference each lap. So while I hope it is more difficult to cheat in rF2, I also hope people don't bag it when (and I mean 'when') cheats do start circulating. Ultimately it's up to individual leagues to monitor the situation and do what's necessary to eliminate exploits in their own rooms. This independent style of detection also makes it less likely for someone to come along and circumvent the system, since the reward is much smaller (rather than being effective for the game as a whole). The other deterrent is that if you do get picked up, you actually lose your membership of the league. Very different to just getting kicked out of a public room.

To me the issue of track-cutting and such is more critical to get right - because it's not a one-size-fits-all matter. But, truth be told, it's actually well within the capabilities of an rF1 plugin to look at the track shape (via the AIW) and monitor the player's position and speed locally to determine a cut.

What would help such an implementation, and in a few other situations, would be the ability to easily run admin commands via the plugin interface on the server. (you could do it in a round-about way even now, but I can't say I've ever been bothered... ;))

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Classic!!:D

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I can't give any answer on that so haven't answered, sorry.

7. DeDios

DeDios Registered

well, we already have Enduracers mod, one of most beautiful mods ever. I hope will be converted for rF2, so we don't really need an another ALMS/LMS mod.

8. cyprien

cyprien Registered

Thanx for this Q&A...
    I'd like to develop a league with rfactor 2 and i have a few questions about that :
    - (classic question) Is it possible to run a dedicated server on linux ?
    - Is it possible to launch Rfactor from a web browser (Protocol Handler like rfactor://) and include in the line the password and the username ? indeed, is it possible to define a unique password for each player for a server ?
    - Is it possible from a webserver to "talk" to the Rfactor server ? (automaticly Ban a driver, start a session at a fixed hour, etc).
    Thanks for the answers, sorry for my english and good work ! ;)

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

This one should be quote of the week ;)
    Credentials should never be used in this way. Otherwise it is almost the same as unsecured access.

10. dragon

dragon Registered

11. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

I have time :)

12. Frank Beuchel

Frank Beuchel Registered

+1

13. cyprien

cyprien Registered

Ok ! i understand what you say but it's not a mistake : If you have a website where people can be logged in, you can just render the correct rfactor link with the correct username/password...

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

for example: if you put addsens on your page, JS bot is able to read those URLs (as whole page content) just while you have this page opened.
    Of course you may say it is up to admin if suggested by you feature will be used or not. But due to lack of education (in overall), a lot of credentials may be compromised.

15. cyprien

cyprien Registered

ok... So, my question should be :
    - Is there any tools for web Developper to manage rfactor server and players ?

16. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Wow, i hope the desicion will be made pro "dirt and grass pickup", cause this is on very important realism thing which we want since years and which also helps against cutting and "driving over the limit".
    WSo please add this.

17. 88mphTim

18. 88mphTim

Yeah I'd have to agree. Even if you used conditionals to display the correct names to the correct user, you're then just going to leave yourself open to people who as soon as they know that URL will be able to take the link and type any name they want into it.

19. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

I can elaborate here a bit... When you change tires (from slicks to wets, or old slick to new slick) you will see the difference. Visible tire wear will be in the initial release as far as I know (as always it's subject to change, but I can't see any reason it won't make it in...). We WANT to do debris pickup, but that may not make the first release. Visible difference between wet and slicks and tire wear are the higher priorities, so they get the attention first....

20. YoShImUrA

YoShImUrA Registered

Second time asking... :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.