[REL] Longford 1967 v1.0 [2018-08-15]

Discussion in 'Locations' started by woochoo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Not to change the subject, but I'm trying to make my server as user friendly as possible and would like ALL the tracks that it hosts to be able to be downloaded using the "get missing components" feature.

I can't get this track re-registered using Noel Hibbard's GetModReg.exe tool.

I believe the the problem lies in the fact that the name includes the date inside of a set of brackets "[ ]". I tried re-naming the file, but that didn't work so well, Mod Manager didn't "see" the track after I renamed the file.

Any suggestions? Do I have to do something I should ask permission for before doing it???

Thanks... I love the this track and would like to put it back into the "F3 Fanatics!" track rotation.

Bryan

2. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

If anyone hasn't already got this great track Bryan then they been living under a stone. :D

3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I guess it's not the end of the world if you need to repack the track to work with getmod, but if Noel and/or ISI could make it work with the square brackets then that's fine by me :)

I have no idea about this. I guess the best I can do is not put the release date in the square brackets from now on.
    The next release is somewhere over the horizon. I can't say it's -just- over the horizon though, so some temporary, duplicate-inducing fix might be what you need to do. But please check with Noel/ISI first.

4. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Heya woochoo,

I won't touch it! LOL! I can wait until you come out with another release and hopefully IsI or Noel Hibbard will have an answer so that you can keep your format for naming your tracks.

Thanks!

Bryan

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

It pays to miss your braking points in this track :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you mr woochoo :)

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Haha... nice find nikos... I`ve never seen this lad anywhere yet... (not that I don`t miss my braking points that`s for sure :p)

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

just before railway bridge, leave track slightly to the right into the bushes Terence.
    There is a clearence to a fence gate, he comes alive when you go near the gate :)

8. woochoo

woochoo Registered

hehe, That mesh is called Hayman, if you ever want to refer to it by name. I could probably have gone with a more gender-neutral name, but I didn't think too much about it at the time.

Well, since you bring up the thread, I'll post an in-progress change log/notes for the next version - eta unavailable.

TL;DR : It's nicer to look at; it's nicer to drive; it will probably use a little more system resource; not all prior complaints have been addressed; there isn't a release date yet.

+@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ V0.97 @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@+

- Road: New T1/main textures.
    - Road: Small detail texture changes and increased resolution, and modified material settings.
    - Road: Some variation to road edge geometry, some small changes to camber and crown, some reduction in some bumps.
    - Road: Added some road surface repair patches.
    - Road: Higher polygon density in some corners (makes more precise RealRoad effects).
    - Road Lines: Some changes in texture resolution, normal maps, and material settings of decal lines.
    - Road Lines: Added small, fictional yellow paint markers to the yellow pitlane line to indicate pit-in/pit-out for speed limits.
    - Roadside Kerbs/Gutter: One texture updated, one new texture, new material settings, and terrain physics (tdf for new and old concrete).
    - Terrain: Initial implementation of new terrain shader (from rF2 build 860)
    - Terrain: Most (all?) are new textures (Grass, Gravel, Rocks, Mud).
    - Terrain: Added geometry to some verge edges for variation and texture lerping.
    - Terrain: Some verges have changed from grass to gravel (historic photos implying and/or showing gravel rather than grass - Flying Mile & Newry Corner).
    - Terrain: Added shadow casting meshes for some steeper terrain areas, and global sun-blocker, to improve morning/afternoon lighting.
    - Terrain: Added some basic terrain reflection meshes where appropriate.
    - Terrain: Added riverbed, with mud texture and tdf driving physics material.
    - River: Added geometry to river and river shore, to improve mapping and appearance.
    - River: Adjusted water textures and material properties.
    - Trainlines: New trainline meshes, adjusted textures, added specular and normal mapping.
    - Viaduct: New model and textures (it's the arched brick trainline bridge at turn three - more polys, more pixels, more precise).
    - Pit Building: Some basic stopgap updates to the pit building (other updates are planned for the future).
    - Water Tower: Higher resolution texture, and material adjustments.
    - Culverts: New models for Viaduct culvert, Tannery Straight culvert, and Newry Road culvert.
    - Roadside Marker Posts: Replaced with new models and textures (including pseudo retro-reflectors (based and historic photo references)).
    - Hay Bales: Textures retoned and higher resolution.
    - Fences: New wire texture for fences (higher resolution, and includes rusty barbed wire).
    - Fences: Added normal mapping to some wooden fence elements, and increased texture resolution for some fences.
    - Fences: Adjusted Fence collisions outside of Turn 1 to reduce severity of 3-wide AI incidents at the start of a race.
    - Trees: Rearranged some poplar trees after Newry Corner, based on historic photo reference.
    - Trees: Fixed some broken shading on some trees.
    - Trees: Fixed some Z-fighting on some distant trees.
    - Trees: Replaced some tree walls with massed X-trees.
    - Sponsor Banners: Adjusted some textures and added specular and normal maps to some banners.
    - Lights: Shortened attenuation of streetlights and floodlights.
    - Horizon: Small adjustment to mesh normals to increase engagement with lighting engine.
    - Shadow Meshes: Removed some old-style dummy shadow meshes from some buildings (now using the visible mesh to cast some shadows).
    - AIW: Adjusted fast path on Tannery Straight to reduce AI crashes in wet conditions (some may still occur when low-grip cars are side by side).
    - AIW: Some adjustments to create (a quite subtle, hacky) wind shear reverb effect on power poles.
    - Indy Aero: Included VehicleConfig.ini to force Indy DW12 to use Roadcourse aero package.
    - Optimisation: Some batching and adjustments to some draw distances may produce small FPS improvements.

+@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@+

=====================================================

=======Known Issues, Non-Implemented Features, Additional Notes=======

===The AI
    - Sometimes they'll hop onto the dirt banks on the inside of a few corners.
    - Some cars may collide/crash in the first corner of a race (more likely in rainy conditions), in the Viaduct section, along King's Bridge, and on approach to Tannery Corner.
    - Moving fast path to the right-hand lane of Tannery Straight also reflects historic reality (apparently), as real-life drivers reportedly drove on the right side so that when they came out from behind the right-hand hedges, the prevailing NW wind wouldn't blow the cars onto the grass on the left (awaiting wind system in rF2...).
    - F1 and some other cars may collide with tyre markers (not so catastrophic with new HAT profile - v0.91).
    - The AI cars struggle to form up to the 3-2-3-2 'Hisoric Grid' after a warmup lap, so skipping the warmup lap or using a different grid layout might be considered.

===Animations
    - Some of the animations have small glitches and sometimes the marshal's headphone's are floating (not yet a fix priority).

===Wet Road Reflections
    - Fences and some terrain areas are not currently in the reflection list due to the nature of the reflection system.

===Bridges
    - Bridge structures don't currently extend down into the river bed mud. When bridge strucutres are updated, they will.

===Bridge Fence Shadows
    - Sometimes bridge fence shadows (from fence mesh) will render/not render different parts based on distance.

===Trees
    - Some tree textures are a bit low-resolution. They are, in some cases, the actual trees at the real-life circuit. There are plans for remaking them in higher resolution with new photos.
    - Philosophical position taken on continuing with X-trees rather than changing to billboard trees (i'm choosing parallax over rotation of trees at this time).
    - Have commenced manual work on 3D trees, however the time expense is too great considering the number of even just roadside trees, and the desire to make the trees representative of the real trees.
    - 3D trees will be revisited if/when efficient, accurate, tree-generating software (which supports wind systems) is financially affordable, and supported by a broad range of game engines, including ISI engines.

===Crowd
    - The textures for the crowd are ISI rF1 textures. Yes, they're old, and no they don't look great now.
    - They will be on the update list one day.

===Terrain Shader
    - Using terrain shader launched in rF2 build 860. rF2 860 will not render terrain specularity correctly, and older builds will not render correctly at all.
    - ISI expects to update the terrain shader, so Longford terrain appearance may vary in relation to that.

===Performance
    - There is a framerate drop of around 30% when exiting Mountford Corner (the final corner) and in the Viaduct section (there should be FPS gains on low track detail modes if needed).

===General Efficiency / Optimisation
    - This project was started as a beginner some time ago, and has been a learning experience. Skillz, philosophies, techniques, and technology have progressed in that time. As a result, and the size of the circuit, updates are a rolling process, and there isn't usually time to do all desired updates at or by a specific time.
    It is planned that the older models and textures will be updated, optimised, or replaced.

===Continued Development
    - The main target of development will be updates/remakes of a number of buildings/structures.
    - 3D trees for track-side trees are planned (some unreleased work has occurred but it is time-intensive).
    - New tent models are planned.
    - New house models are planned.
    - Separating painted lines from road textures (pitlane and grid lines are already separate).

=====================================================

9. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Ohw my Woochoo. Keep on going it sounds good! Thanks for the update :cool:

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Wow. Expert hard at work. Impressive change log and some really good priorities. This next version will be an absolute blast to drive I'm sure. Good stuff! :)

11. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Changelogs are the new screenshots :cool:

12. bwana

bwana Registered

lol yes bumped into him one morning chasing Tassie tigers.

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Its great to see that this classic place has a strong future, thank you :)

Oh, btw Hi Hayman ;)

14. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Well, it is planned that it will have a strong future. The intentions are good, but time plays it's part. As does money.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Just take your time and know that you have already created a masterpiece for this era of rF2. If you can keep tweaking and improving, however slowly, to keep-up with the rising standards, great. You have obviously learned a lot and have a lot of talent--hopefully the combination of those two will hold you in good stead. As for the rest of us, don't hesitate to release newer versions with only a few small improvements. They are all appreciated and add to the quality and enjoyment of the track. It's an evolution...that may never reach 1.0 if you don't have the time, but sharing the journey is the fun part. Your explanations and documentation of what you are doing is interesting for those of us without technical skills and undoubtedly valuable for those with skills who are trying to follow in your footsteps.

Thanks for such a great track!

16. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

yEA, some screen would be nice:)

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Thanks woochoo! BUT... I still don't see mention of fish in the pond. Not even windshield spray when you hit the water. It's just not very "immersive" when hitting the pond, and I don't know why you even bothered putting a gate at the first turn so you could easily slide 1/8 of a mile and dunk your tires in the water.

Hey, all fun aside.... rusty barbed wire??.
    Ya gotta love this track.

Impressive long list of fixes. ( I know, you can't help it, it just comes out!, but I think we like that about you )

18. woochoo

woochoo Registered

It's true - still no fish :(
    There is a brick in the riverbed mud texture though

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Are you planning on adding any shiny cows in the near future? Seems to be all the rave these days. :D:p

20. Carlo

Carlo Registered

I'm certainly glad that this track is getting some love. Some cows would be nice since I often end up in the pastures anyway.