GP-2015 mod [cancelled]

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Navigator, Feb 26, 2015.

1. gneffio

gneffio Registered

ok, I did a 10 laps, maybe 15 but 5-6 where with crash :) Laps where done on RacerFactor Melbourne with green track (i didn't saved any realroad :( )
    So, starting with
    Sounds: I like it, they seems pretty good on the cockpit view maybe a bit low on the replay, i think they should be a bit louder but that's not a big issue.
    Handling: I put wing at 25 and had a lot of oversteer on the fast right hander, T8 on that map maybe also due to the green track. But as laps was going by feeling was better. I then tried a few laps on 22 FW and car was more balanced. I also used some trick from the real driver like the short shifting in the last 2 corner, coming out in 2nd and shorshifting into 3rd and then into 4th in the last corner.

Brake: I always suffered on the brake performance on the F1 cars :) i always lock easily. Here it was modulable, and i had a little bit of experience yesterday with a bunch of laps done with formula ISI :) They seemed pretty good, if i tried to put 100% pressure just a little bit more then DF permitted lock would easily knocked on my door.

Overall it was a good experience and it was pretty much where i should expected it to be. Tyres where getting pretty hotter and easily. I suffered a lot of understeer on mid corner, when i was with low brake, ready to go to throttle, but probably a driver preference setup. Maybe with a better rubber on track i would have been even faster. best lap 1.31 but could get easily into the low 30, maybe high 29 if i were able to put some good sectors in a row! :D

Nice job.

EDIT: Forgot to add... Would be nice to have some sort of engine maps or boost setting to simulate the Qual or race power.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2015
  2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

If you want a closed group, reporting feedback, you should ask some people by PM. Then you could send the test version to this people via PM. If you are posting the Downloadlink public, everybody is clicking on it, wether they would give a feedback or not. ;)

Well...it is, as it is...when you are modding, do it in the first place for yourself and don`t expect to much Feedback.

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ Gneffio,

Thanks for the feedback!
    The sound is an issue yes; working on that still. Good you noticed. I'm planning on changing that a lot
    Good to see you have oversteer with 25 FW; than my thought about that is right.
    Nice to see the brake working proper; that was a lot of work smoothing that one out ;)

Boost and such will be implemented, but I can only do that when the engine is finished, thanks for the reminder though!

@ Juergen-By,

Ow well......I don't mind people downloading, but it would be nice if they gave some feedback. This is just "pick it up and run".......not very nice in my opinion.
    Also I wanted to state that they do have a say in this; why not use it?

I did start the mod out for myself, but now it would be nice if more people could enjoy and so my wishes are no longer an issue; it must apply with the majority; I need input for that........

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I agree, this mod definitely could do with some different engine maps, for us to play around with maybe in realtime in the car as well.

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

It IS a good idea, sure!
    The "problem" for now is, that THIS engine is very delicate. There where you can adjust settings in a normal engine file without noticing small mistakes; every little thing adjusted here goes through the whole engine and the damn thing has a problem one way or the other.
    Lets say the mixture needed (don't know the line in the file that explains it anymore) to keep the car running; at full throttle, it can be set whatever way you want. With this engine; change it the smallest bit and the car keeps revving when you release the throttle; it is very unforgiving.

So I have to get the engine just right and than make things like this. As the car behaviour depends on the engine power/torque output too; I still can't set a final engine.ini yet. And so on........
    It's coming, that is for sure, but has to be one of the latest things I do.

As for real time mappings; I don't know it that's possible. I don't want to "add 10% power" with a button; that is easy. But we're talking about mapping and so the response of the engine related to the throttle position is involved.
    It IS possible, but -for now- only with an upgrade and thus; not real time. I will look into that however.
    Would be a nice idea though.

6. Frenky

Frenky Registered

@ Navigator. Really impressive this car! With some finetuning, I'm sure you can get the best possible F1 experience :p

Now onto your question. I drove some laps with 30FW (i.s.o. 20) and I still have a little bit of understeer (not much). I think I know the reason for this, besides I personally like oversteer in fast corners.
    You have to know, I'm a keyboard player. I do not own a wheel. I therefore use the lowest setting of traction control (TC on "low"). Otherwise nearly all mods/vehicles are undriveble for me. TC will introduce some understeer. Compared to my F1 2013 mod, I noticed more understeer in fast corners in your F1 2015. This may or may not has to do with front wing downforce. It could also be the TC settings (under "CONTROLS" and/or under "AIDPENALTIES") in the HDV file. I like the settings I have in my mod. In the moment I'm unable to test your mod and do not know what values you have for TC in the HDV. But by heart, TC help low/high setting was 0.47/0.95 in my mod.
    On the other hand, TC is of little help in fast corners, as you have the grip there. So it might as well be the front downforce.
    BTW, with TC on low, I nearly have no wheelspin.

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ Gneffio and Hexagramme;

I wasn't awake this morning when I wrote about the mapping I think :)
    It CAN be done, just not with the throttle response lines as I intended, but it can get pretty close. I just fit in the "engineboost" for that and I learned about it just now even more; there can be pretty much changed:
    - torque
    - power
    - max prm
    - fuel usage
    - turbo pressure
    - engine lifetime

So, help me think here please; I was thinking of making -what- 16? settings? Making the engine as it is right now (because it is at the upper half of power of the combined field IRL) setting 10.
    Going up, I was thinking about:
    - no rpm change; you do that in the garage
    - no more power; the turbo gets (very little) more pressure; should be enough
    - more torque
    - more fuel usage
    - less engine lifetime

This is what I just think of right now and what I think comes closest to real life. Right?
    I don't think they screw up the max rpm in the car with this, but I'm going to look into it.

Anyway; going down in the settings, this all should happen the other way around of course :)
    Ah, nice, got some calculations to do ;)

What do you guys think about that?
    Any suggestions? I just let it roll out of my sleeve; didn't give it all the thought in the world yet ;)

8. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Wow, I've just made a few laps at silverstone and this release is on a very good way.
    Already a great step forward !

9. yusupov

yusupov Registered

sorry im an idiot but when i try to run it it defaults to the ISI 1.47 version..do i need to temp uninstall for it to work?

10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Just did about 40 laps around the RacerFactor Barcelona circuit, namely because recently did a few hundred laps here in the FISI.

I went on the supersofts because of no realroad initially. I struggled with aero balance to begin with in the fast corners with the rear coming round. I solved this, in large part by reducing the front wing to 20 and leaving the rear alone.

The grip seems fine to me. Predictable, believable and generally intuitive. I initially thought there was a lack of longitudinal grip but with the above aero changes, it felt much better.

The single thing I noted which felt.....not quite right to me was the breaking. This could very well be because the default set nailed the perfect break bias for me though. I found myself being tentative on the breaks, I had no inherent feeling of when the fronts would lock (I expected more because of my FISI running). There was just a general....vague feeling for me. But again, that's personal feeling.

Great work all in all. I'd seen you wanting feedback, so here are my initial thoughts. Keep up the good work mate, I had fun.

Editing to say the speeds I achieved by 2015 testing metrics seem really close.

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Good to see some feedback; thanks guys!

@ Rich Goodwin,
    20 Front wing is fine. I was going from 20 up to 25 with 25 being the last setting drivable and my initial thoughts were; it should "normally" be fine with 20 or 22. So; this is fine :) You proved the medium wing setting is "pretty okay".

The braking; that can very well be as you drove the SS tire; that one is not "up to date" yet. In the first (start post) it is, but the test version, with all the changes I made, the tires had to be redone and I only changed the mediums. It wasn't a big change, but very well needed for the balance and feel.

Also; you proved I still have work to do ;) I thought so already as the whole grip/braking stuff went upside down when I moved the inertia's from the wheels to the ultrachassis file. (More or less; I have to start all over again with that.....pretty much ;) )

Almost forgot: Yusupof,

Do you have the new version? You didn't download it when the topic was just updated with (the first) link, right?
    Because I fixed that and it shouldn't be possible :(
    In the showroom; does it say NAF1-2015 or NAF1_2015?

I want to help you mate, but I have no clue as to what it can be.......
    Uninstall the FISI might be a temporary fix, yes.

12. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Well it's good to see that my feeling and your personal thoughts are in-line :)

I'll do some more on the medium some time soon :)

13. yusupov

yusupov Registered

hey nav, thanks -- i just missed the NAF1 in the showroom, looks like it should be good to go :)

14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ Rich, please do. I'm interested if it makes a (huge?) difference for you!

@ Yusupov.........well, what can I say but: "haha!" lol, sorry mate, but it isn't clear; I had to change the name of the download but the mod is still named the same as the download name original was; I should have stated that here.
    In the mod name, the are two things Bernie don't like ;)

15. yusupov

yusupov Registered

drove the sauber a bit on softs. racerfactor mebourne; if anyone knows of a better version please lemme know but i tend to find RRF tracks both accurate enough & not unpleasant to look at (more important for me, if im being honest).

im no alien or expert on F1 cars so i just did a few laps & looked at sector/potential laptimes + speed trap, & compared to what i recall of the weekend theyre both pretty dead on. think i got 322km/h when i checked & laptime ~1:34 but AI@120% were getting as fast as 1:30's (this seemed to be rare, a lot of disparity).

didnt try the mclaren bc i didnt want to bother with an experiment of an experiment ;) but judging from the AI you havent yet bothered to attempt to emulate the ****tiness there which i think is a good idea :)

love the sound+turbo feel already, i guess it just occurred to me now but i would ask if theres enough torque, didnt really have issues w/ wheelspin as i typically have w/ this gen of cars. idk if thats right or wrong, just something i realized.

i really hope work continues on this bc i think itll be the definitive 2015 F1 mod if you do. very strong foundation already! AC had some good cars last year but im not sure theyre continuing onto this one. really the year was quite lackluster until reiza introduced theirs, which, as it stands, tbh i dont think have near the potential this one does.

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks Yusupov!

I haven't worked on the AI yet, correct. They might do weird things :)
    About the wheelspin..........hmm.........these cars SHOULD just have it. Are you sure you don't have traction control on?
    Also; that might be the soft tires; they are not okay yet; please use mediums for now.
    Plus; the throttle/mix settings were turned down a lot because the car was not manageable with "stock" settings; at the slightest thought of the pedal; it would go round :)
    So; maybe you have the pedal "action" (can't remember the word) low; you push it in halfway and it does 0,2 opening (for instance) could that be? Than it's double and you rev to slow?
    The mapping will be adjusted anyway; earlier power a bit.

I hope you have a setting different or something; I was going from the point the rear spins pretty easily......
    I look into it to be sure.

Thanks again mate!

17. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Yes I know the Circle of Kamm, I have been teached in that as well. Funny that you teach in this, I teach in Aero- and Aquadynamics on a University of Applied Sciences.
    I fully understand your choice to only test it (ATM at least) for a wheel. No problem.
    What exactly do you mean by Dutchy? If you're asking if I'm from Holland, the answer is indeed yes. I live close to the German border and have worked several years in Germany in the field of Energy technology. So, I'm really interested in your wheel. Hopefully you live a little bit near me then :p.

As I'm really busy the next 2 days, I will drive again at the end of the week. Thanks in advance for your answer.

18. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hehe nice, a colleague :)

Good to see you understand.

Sadly; I live close to the sea border; near Haarlem.......
    I've got a Logitech momo black almost new laying around; been used for not even a month. Its collecting dust in the attic (and does a good job!) but it would be of more use in the hands of someone like you.

I have no trip to "the other side" soon.......so if you want to risk a drive; you're more than welcome to pick it up.
    I don't send however; always goes wrong.

20. Frenky

Frenky Registered

@ Navigator, I can come to you, no problem. But it won't be in March anymore. If the wheel can wait till half way April, it would be great :D. Will PM you by then for the date and address, allright?