GP-2015 mod [cancelled]

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Navigator, Feb 26, 2015.

1. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Tig, mediafire download (post 98 ver. 06b) worked fine for me (just now) I'm using Opera the last month.

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Finally managed to download it and took it for a spin. There is a lot to like. It behave more or less how I would expect for this kind of car. I was shortshifting and that worked out pretty good. Still, I think there is too much wheelspin (or torque?) with 4th-6th gear. I would have thought you can easily give full throttle with at least 5th gear... I see there is eight gears but still. Sounds were ok, but I would like to hear more turbo and electronic sounds. Brakes were pretty good.

Drove with McLaren in Malaysia and managed to do 1.41.8 (without ERS or DRS...)

3. TJones

TJones Registered

To be honest, i was a bit sceptical at first, because of the enormous complexity and the difficulties to get reasonable data of these cars.
    Seem's you like challanges! ;)

But i have to say, i'm really impressed! Sticky tyres, which behave very beleavable at the limit IMO.
    I drove also at Sepang (like TIG_green) but took the Sauber, i also think tourque is enormous, more likely to much than to less. :)
    I had wheelspin up to 3rd gear (straight line), with longer final transmission than default setup.
    This year it isn't allowed to change gearing, so teams have to set gearing before season start, and have to deal with it the whole season. So at Monza the cars should reach about 350 km/h in 8th gear (low drag aero package). Regarding that, final transmission in standard setup is much to short.
    Should be one (not to say the main) reason to gain more wheelspin than in reality.

Great work Navigator, thanks for sharing.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the feedback guys!

The wheelspin is to much, correct.
    Its a fine line; giving more grip will result in faster lap times and brakes working different also, not to mention; the car will be (much) less tail happy and drive like a train.
    I was "going" for the tailhappyness because that is what we see and where the fun is, right? :)
    Making the torque less, so it don't spin in 4th and up; same result for tailhappyness.......(is that a word or did I just invented this? ;) )
    So there has to be a fine balance between all those values and its thin........of its okay now; I empty the ashtray and its different again.......

But; it has my attention as I too think only the first 3 gears should have wheelspin and in the final version; it will be okay.
    For now; there is a lot to do and it will change more than once.

Making the gears longer; good to see you share that point as I was thinking about that.

Sound; I'm working on some additions, but its hard....very hard. Got some ideas though and I can now say the sound in final version will not be the same as it is now; more sounds in there than.

Thanks again guys, very useful!!

5. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I'm totally enjoying the "ride" with the development of this mod!

6. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

Hey mate,
    This is by far the best modern turbo era f1 mod i've driven.
    -The sound is spot on! I would personnaly love the hear the turbo just a bit more, but I don't know if that's realistic.
    And the turbo-physics are really good as far as I can tell, there are not many modders out there who have the skills to do so.
    Keep it up like this, and this could be the best '15 mod out there.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In 2014 at least one car, with similar gearing to the rest, hit 360kph at Monza and was barely at 12500 rpm at that point. That makes 8th capable of around 430kph at 15k.

Wheelspin with a mod based on this or last year's F1 is very difficult to avoid, even approaching the middle gears, but it also comes down to how much electric power you're looking to emulate. rF2 just can't simulate all the vehicle systems and with the new engine model you're also limited in the way you can 'tone down' the power. We can just hope some better throttle mapping options come along in the future.

As Navigator said earlier these cars in practice don't go near 15k RPM. For our league I personally left 15k open but had to shape the torque and fuel use curves so that realistically there's no point (also keeping fuel use constant above about 10500rpm, same as in reality). It's definitely not easy to come up with realistic performance, quite a balancing act.

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ Jimcarrel and nultweezes,

Thanks guys, very nice to hear its becoming you and a good drive for me to keep working!

@ Lazza,

Absolutely right, its a balancing act.
    Higher torque makes the power to high, toning that one down, makes the turbo go lower and the engine behaves weird. In theorie, to simulate; the torque line should go up early and then down; but the engine doesn't do well with that. Making it go up; the car goes to fast.
    That, and believable top speeds with different wing settings as well as tires behaving the way they should........yep, balancing :)

I'm busy with the engine "mapping" right now and also the different top speeds with and without drs and different mappings. ehh.......indeed you miss the power systems and it is hard to simulate with "just an engine".
    I got work to do :)

9. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

This is very addictive mod. Coming out of corners feels very nice. I felt like i was powersliding way too much and i thought that it is unrealisticly easy (fun) to control under a drift, but then i watched replay and i didn't even see those drifts. It looked very similar to what it looks like in real life. Some small wiggling in some places.
    In silverstone i put front wing to 22 and balance was similar to marussia. Default setting felt too oversteery in one fast pumpy corner (tend to spun there).

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks Korva7, very usefull!

11. TJones

TJones Registered

Correct me if i'm wrong, but AFAIK gearing was free last season. Regarding this 360kph at 12500 in 7th gear surprises me, why should they use such a long 7th gear then.

@Navigator
    IMO tyre grip and behaviour at the limit is very close to reality, i had some really scary power-slides at speeds above 200kph, saw quite similar ones at Sepang-GP last weekend, from a Manor for example. :)
    You did a really good job by keeping turbo lag low. Normaly with a big turbo you get high pressure but also high lag, job of the e-engine is to fill this torque gap in actuall F1.
    But e-engine or ERS-sytems are acually not availlable in rF2, so you did a really good job to bypass this.
    Balance at Sepang with the Sauber, starting with Default setup is neutral to slight oversteering in the dry, had to move brake-balance a few clicks to the front.
    Under wet conditions i get a lot more oversteering, especially in fast corners with full rain tyre then. Still some setup work left for me here.

Thank's again.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you misunderstood me :)

'similar gearing' just meant it wasn't a car that had unusually long gears.

And I never mentioned 7th gear... those revs at that speed was in 8th gear. The rev limit is 15k so 360km/h at 12.5k equates to 432km/h at 15k. All 8th gear.

*The real cars don't get closer to 15k in 8th gear partly because of the fuel flow rate limit (100kg/h). I think Navigator has chosen to lower the rev limit, but could also reshape the power output and limit the fuel use as in real life. More rebalancing :p (I think mine peaks at 102kg/h, but I didn't expect it to even be that close so I'm happy with it)

**Sorry, another edit. Rereading your post I originally replied to, now I can see what you're asking about the gears. No, last year they were restricted to a single set of ratios, with one free change during the season.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
  13. TJones

TJones Registered

Yes Lazza, 7th gear was implied by me, i thought the cars had only 7 gears last year, and this year a additional one because of the fixed gearing rule now.
    The fuel flow limit explains the low rpm, make sense now.

Thank's for clarification.

14. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Plus there is electric motor spinning that turbo, so the turbo lag actually is low. Or was that just what you were talking about :D

15. TJones

TJones Registered

I was talking about the "big" e-engine mountet to the crankshaft, but you're right there is also a small one to keep the turbo spinning. :)
    Dont know if this is supportet by rF2 turbo physics, but don't think so.
    These days F1 cars are very complex with engine-mapping, ERS-stuff, brake by wire, not to talk about differential setting.
    Thinking about all this, makes the result of Navigators work even more impressive.

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well, about the rpm; I made it like this for two reasons; in real life, the only do low 12k up to not even 13k plus; they do that to get within the fuel limit.
    I could have made it to stay in the fuel limit at 15k, but that would be realistic.
    Above all; this was all about being as realistic as possible.

After all; I didn't spend hours and hours studying onboard footage (rpm's/corner speed/topspeed/brake distance and so on) to make it go 15000 rpm ;)

The turbo kept spinning is not implemented in rF2.

I'm trying now to put settings for engine mapping in there.
    Plan is to set a default rpm level, not to be adjusted in setups, and with the key's "increment/decrement boost" you can make the engine more aggressive/powerfull, use more fuel and make more rpm.
    I was thinking of letting the range go between 12.000 and 12.900 rpm.

There is just one problem I haven't solved yet on this; with a preset rpm in setups, the rpm lights respond to that.
    So; if I set it to 12.000 rpm, you can make it 12.900 in the car, but red goes on at 12.000 still.
    And the other way around of course.
    I can set it in the middle, but you will end up shifting at the wrong rpm and therefore not using the potential of the more rpm's.

I can't find where and how to change that and I think; it is not possible :(

17. bwana

bwana Registered

ran a test at Malaysia comparing real times and configs to your mod Nav. sauber 1 39.8 best on Mediums with 60lts of fuel and vents set for race(wing 23/41) track temp 38c with light to medium rubber down . Same issue as IRL at T9 with fronts complaining.. had gearing set so only used 8th from half way from finish line to braking zone into T1.Could probably stretch 7th so as to not loose as much time down shifting so many bloody gears.. Great fun!!

18. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

https://vimeo.com/123671687

Here's a 5 minute onboard video from this past weekends Malaysian GP. It starts right as the safety car comes in. Hope its of some use to you Nav.
    Also (fanboiii mode on [emoji39]), watching this video makes me appreciate rf2 even more. It's like I can feel the feedback from the wheel by just watching. They "struggle" in all the same spots as i do while doing laps around ISIs Malaysia track.

19. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Apparently it was v0.52 that i was driving when i said that quoted thing. At the time i had both v0.52 and v0.6B intalled, and i did choose v0.6B for driving, but now after uninstalling v0.52 i noticed that default wing settings was different and my forcefeedback strenght had chanced. So probably it was that 0.52 i was driving earlier.
    Be sure to uninstall the older version if you want drive the new one. Or maybe this happens only on my computer. Or maybe this already is common knowledge that older versions need to be uninstalled, and there was no need to say this.

Just tested game stock car extreme, and there is car based on 2014 F1 regulations.
    http://game-stockcar.com.br/?lang=en <-At halfway of the page formula extreme.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2015
  20. Moxley

Moxley Registered

Hey Guys, just lookin to find out what the most recent version is. Navigator, I would be more than pleased to give you some motion data feedback, But being a little new to the rF engine it'll take me a little time to figure everything out.

Thank guys and see you on the blacktop.