GP-2015 mod [cancelled]

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Navigator, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

No, no, no offense taken at all! Maybe I come across a bit to strong, but that was more due to the time I had to write.

Also; they changed the shape? I didn't. I read about the chassis and as I was working on the chassis.ini file a lot; I thought of that.

But no problem at all; I wasn't offended in any way mate. :)

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

All is well mate, just making sure. :)

Yeah I saw the preview screens with the 'new' 2015 style low noses, and thought 'hey wouldn't that a be a cool pairing with the physics work of Nav'. :)

Don't quite know what they mean with 'chassis modification' though, whether they've only changed the shape of the car. To be continued I guess. :)

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

And back again! :)

Turns out, there was no problem with the mod, just a naming issue.
    I have to fix/rename the download link still though and upload again; will be up again in a few hours .

Please feel free to give as much feedback as possible; the mod can only get better that way, right?!
    It's one of the few (not to say the only one.....) "youknowwhat"mod with a real working turbo (on a car like this) and a flex chassis, so I would be arrogant to say it's perfect right away ;)

Edit; I changed the name of the rfcmp in mediafire; does anyone knows if that works? Well, if the rfcmp works than?
    I'm having problems with my system and on my macbook; I can't open the mas editor and such.

Anyway; that link now up!

4. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I've done some laps and I've to say it feels incredible immersiv :)

But I'm too tired today and I need definitely more laps to give a constructive feedback.

Only two things for today:
    I've a Fanatec CSR-E with the Formula Rim and had reduced the FFB Multi to 0.55 and Filter to 4 to avoid heavy FFB clipping.
    Is it possible to activate the "incar" turbo boost adjustment (because then it's possible to control them over the rim)
    of course only if it's IRL allowed ?

in the meantime thank you folks for this fantastic mod (to be honest I like the sound a little bit ;) ) keep up the great work.
    alex

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Shouldn`t be a problem

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@Alpha-Bravo,

Thanks for the feedback!! I'm a bit "waiting for that" as I didn't want to make big changes and maybe go the wrong way.
    The steering; it will be fixed.

The turbo....... well, first of all; I don't know what you mean by IRL?
    Anyway; the turbo is a bastard, I can tell you that much ;)
    It's not like you pick the Skippy engine and make some more rev lines; I tried to use it and "bend" it into a proper engine. After 4 months of working on that one alone, I threw it out and started with a blank paper; having learned enough with the Skippy.
    You see, these high revs (for a turbo engine) and high pressure (at lower rpm), including the high torque at low rpm's, make it a delicate thing, VERY delicate! Even the mixture lines have to be carefully altered or the car is not drivable. I know for a fact that the throttle response in real life is altered too, so I didn't mind doing that it didn't feel unnatural.
    The normal boost is something else and gets in the way of the turbo. One small adjustment could make it not working proper anymore (as I noticed many, many times before with the making of the engine; it over revs, kicks in to late or early, shuts down to soon and so on and so on).

I will look into it though, but I want to make the turbo boost adjustable than and not (like other mods) fake the whole thing....... I'm pretty proud of my working turbo as that was 80% off al the work (and as far as I can see; the only high rev/pressure/F1 turbo on the forum) and so I want to keep it "real". So; I look at it, but probably not managing this in one evening ;)

But it's a good one; can be fun to see if I can manage that :)

@ Juergen-By,

Thanks, good to know I don't have to upload again; that's a pain in the butt on my system :)

Just something I have to ventilate here;
    over 200 downloads on this, so that's nice. I asked for feedback as I need that; only a handful give me that........
    Com on guys; help me out here! ;)

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I gues, Alex meant, the Turbo should only be available, if the Turbo exist in the real Cars too (IRL= in real life, you know, this one, with the fu... gfx :D)

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ah, I get it. I just went from the point they do in real life as it sounded like that.
    I don' t know however now that I think about it. I can ask that though; got a good hotline ;)

9. Frenky

Frenky Registered

I'm gonna download it now. Will drive it tomorrow and then post my feelings! (of course I will take a look at the engine and HDV file :p)

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Please do, yes. (Don't forget the chassis ;) )

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I planned on doing a few laps, but ended up lapping for over an hour on Silverstone.
    I LOVE the torque of this baby, I really do. I love having to pay extra attention to corner exits, catching/correcting all the little snaps.

Cornering through Magotts/Becketts, Copse and Stowe feels magnificent.
    I don't know if it's the default setup or what, but I feel that perhaps the rear end is a bit too loose.
    This was my initial feeling when lapping a bit at Interlagos the other day.
    I have to up the rear wing, and lower the front wing quite a bit before it's manageable - but then it feels, like I said, magnificent.

Tires are great too, the wear rates seem to be right on the money.

Sounds... Oh boy. The engine from the cockpit is immense, really great sounding most of the time.
    In slower corners, when feathering the throttle, the sound gets really confusing though, as if two are mixed together, overlapping each other (is it the "idle" sound).
    The external sounds could maybe do with a bit more whistling and whining, turbo and brake regeneration.

12. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

He he I'm excited :cool:

13. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Bravo! Navigator. With what you have done so far and Frenky taking an inside peek, this should be grand. Really nice!

14. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Good work Navigator! I can only agree with what people already told. I really love the engine! The power, torque and sounds all seems very well in balance and realistic. I also really love to see a car with 8 gears! I think your chassis file is great and can give an extra feeling in the car. Where did you get the information of the chassis file? I have never seen such a thing. I mean, I didn't know that this is all possible. Where have you seen or how did you come up with for example: Name="REAR_SUBBODY" Mass=335.97760000000005, Inertia=(148.06334936619416,167.0281250328728,48.11292398817081)?
    Beside that, I liked the way the car reacts on setup changes.

I started with driving a couple of laps on Monza 2014 with lowest wing and radiator setting and adjusted gearing (which isn't allowed in F1 anymore) to get some feeling. I expected a top speed of about 360 kph, but barely managed 350 kph. Here are my suggestions to improve the car and I would really hear your opinion about it!

Tyre file(s):
    Dry tyres have too much long. grip levels, in my opinion. Therefore accelerating and braking is a bit too easy, I think. Braking torque is fine. Lateral tyre grip values are fine too.

Engine file:
    Optimum lifetime RPM of the engine is set on 16700 rpm. However, only 15000 rpm are allowed. This way you will kill the engine very fast :p. I would suggest around 12500.
    Combustion heat may increase a bit (+10% or so). I never had trouble heating the engine.

HDV file:
    Mass should be at least 702.0 kg this year (FIA regulation change). Because of that I would suggest to raise the Moments of Inertia with about 1-2%.
    CoG is a bit high, I would suggest 0.18 m. F1 cars could be below 600 kg and the extra weight is placed beneath the CoG, thus lowering it further.
    The rear wing max setting is a bit off, in my opinion. I could only go as far as 40 degrees, with seems quite low to me. In my F1 2013 mod, I can as high as 74 degrees. But the beam wing is no longer allowed, so I suggest about 60 degrees and an increase in the 2nd order term of the drag value. Beside this, the base drag value of the rear wing also seems a bit high.
    I would suggest increasing the drag of the rear wing DRS flap from 0.011 to 0.017 as from 2014 the effect of DRS is bigger (FIA regulation change).
    Base drag from body work is really too high, I would suggest a value around 0.35-0.36. I think you have raised it, because your max setting for rear wing doesn't create that much drag.
    I would also suggest to change AllowGearingChanges=0, because a change in gearing isn't allowed anymore (FIA regulation change).

Damage file:
    You could take more sensative values here. Take a look in my damage file in the latest v1.22 F1RFT2013 mod.

Of course, these are my first suggestions and you can do with it whatever you want. Really looking forward to the real 2015 contender! Keep up the good work and good to see another guy busy with F1 physics!

15. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Will try this at some point soon and give feedback afterwards.

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ Frenky,

Thanks for the elaborate feedback mate, very nice.
    A lot of the things you name about the files themselves, need to be "fine-tuned" still. For instance; I'm still working on proper wing settings, had some "okay" but changed it to get it better suited for the new chassis.ini. Then I changed the chassis again and so on :) So, to get it for the demo running as close to the end product as I could, I made some weird values here and there.
    Also; I may not have changed everything back from test settings; I think in this demo, the weight of the car is way to much changeable.
    The engine for example; did not do the lifetime yet. Good one about the heat though; I overlooked that one.

I'm busy with wings settings as I said and am reworking my calculating model but as you know; everything connects! Even the engine and with a turbo like this; one small change makes you rewriting the complete HDV.........
    So.....still some work to do and I made some pretty good steps since the demo, but still provisional; I'm changing the chassis.ini again, making it a "flex chassis 2.0" :)
    I mean, you divide the body's (front and rear) but you can also do LF-RF-LR-RR and I'm working on that now. Maybe -I think of this when writing- a good idea to let the wings go for now as that will change again after this.

You asked about the rear/front right?
    I followed this instruction: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/introduction-to-physics-tool-ptool-and-flexible-chassis/
    I did the ptool way; it's doable. Just try it; I can help you if you need it, just send me a pm.

17. yusupov

yusupov Registered

just wanted to add to the positivity here, this is among several ~2014-gen mods ive tried & the only one that really seems like the full package. as much as i love frenky's work for the 2013 cars that generation is just a bit dull to me relative to the new one -- these cars are really a blast so PLEASE keep at this! and lets get at least one merc powered car in there :D

18. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I've been listening to the car very closely, but I can't hear what you mean mate.
    So I want to ask you; isn't it the turbo coming on and off?
    You see; from what I've seen, the 2014/2015 mods have no working turbo but just the torque line altered and/or made a his mixed in the engine sounds.
    This one, has a real working turbo with its own sounds, going by the rpm of that turbo. When I was developing the engine, I had some values wrong and the turbo went wild; you could hear that by the sound.
    So it actually works; sound made by turbo speed, and if you feather the throttle; that comes on and off, right through (read; apart from) the engine sound; that might sound a bit strange as this is one of the few actual working turbo engine/sound combos.

Could it be that?
    I try and fix all problems/feedback there is; I really want to get it perfect.

19. Pedro Delgado2

Pedro Delgado2 Registered

Navigator, AWESOME Work!! I just loved the car behavior!!

I have a question for you.. any chance to use the RaceRfactor F-ISI Chassis modification with this physics?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
  20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

That's good to read, thank you! And if all goes according to plan; it gets (a lot) better :)

I had no contact with those guys and don't know what their plan is. I have to focus on this first now as it is a lot of work that I have planned.