G25/27 horrendous rattling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mee, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

So what you guys are saying is that if you haven't spent over $500 on your wheel set, you are going to have to put up with the rattle? hehehe.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

The thing is though that probably a vast majority of "sim racers" are using a G25/G27 at the moment. It would be an easy excuse for ISI to tell us to buy a new wheel if the G25/G27 was simply a crap wheel, but that's not the case. It works perfectly well for me on all other platforms and while it does not have belt-driven FFB, it boost a notably quick latency (9 ms) and refresh rate (500 Hz). This is an important aspect of the FFB as well and at the moment you'll have a hard time finding a wheel with a quicker response.

To sum it up, it's ISI's job to fix the rattling as they promised (the Off-road multiplier parameter was, as stated, only a temp fix which did not do much). In the present moment, the only way to drive a G27 with moderate FFB strength (without waking up your neighbors) is to increase the steering torque filter to around "10". This is not ideal and introduces a significant latency to the FFB. On a G25 the situation is a bit brighter regarding the rattling, but it's far from ideal. Hence, I will keep posting in this thread with regular intervals until we get an update on the situation.

3. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

MarcusarilliuS_IRL Registered

I agree!!

4. NEPALII

NEPALII Registered

I have had my G25 for over 2 years, and it works perfectly in any game except for rFactor 2. It's not the wheel's fault, it's the game that has problems leading with the FFB. Quite disappointed to be honest. I'll wait for a fix, and if there won't be one anytime soon, I'm getting a refund. The torque filter isn't really a fix, you can remove the rattling but you add input lag and that is not ideal.

The wheel feels very loose at the center, as if FFB was turned OFF, and then when turning goes very heavy and then out of corners gets light and I spin. Almost impossible to catch a slide, or to feel the car oversteering/understeering. Not sure if problem with the physics, or just the FFB or both.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
  5. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I used to think that too. I had a G27.

I upgraded to a Fanatec with a belt drive motor and I realized it was the wheel, not the game.

The Logitech gear motor cannot convey the FFB correctly. Even my other sims where I thought the G27 was fine, I can now feel FFB I couldn't feel before.

It's definitely the wheel.

6. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Conversely, the game works perfectly on any wheel except for G25 and G27. It's not the games fault, it's the wheel that has the problems...

Can't believe this issue has risen from the dead after being beaten into the ground. G25/27 has FFB deadzone. No game fix will fix that. I kept my G27 pedals and got a lowly CSR for $200. Been smiling ever since.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  7. NEPALII

NEPALII Registered

Well, I have no issues with the G25 on other games. I have played Game Stock Car, Netkar Pro, Race 07, iRacing, and all respond well. In fact, iRacing's FFB linearity function works best with the G25/G27. Yes, there are more advanced wheels, but this isn't about having more or less. It's about working right or not, and the G25 fails to work correctly in rFactor 2. That's not the wheel, it's the software.

If I can play other games without issues, then the G25 can't be as bad as many people here are trying to make it look like. I'm not complaining about the FFB deadzone, it has it. I'm complaining about the fact that the forces are all over the place. It's heavy, light, heavy, light, and so on. I can't feel the car like I feel in other sims.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  8. NEPALII

NEPALII Registered

Pretty much nailed it. Thank you.

9. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Has anyone else tried my settings I posted? I have a g25 and the FFB is great in RF2 with those and the FFB is actually giving me very useful feedback whilst driving.

Yes there are better wheel around now but the G25 G27 arent the POS wheels some people here are trying to say they are. Any of you guys having huge issues go and try those and see, I posted my wheel setup and controller ini files along with my controller settings. It should have everything there to be able to get the exact same FFB as my computer unless there is something else going on that I cant explain.

There is a chance it may not work for you, then just go back to what your doing but unless you try something different your going to keep getting the same results. If the FFB is working great for me and is easily the best FFB I have ever felt with my G25 it cant be the wheel but how people have it setup.

The most important part of my settings is the control panel settings, without those changes it will feel like rubbish.

10. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I totally understand why you feel that way. I felt exactly the same....

Until I got a belt drive motor wheel. You won't understand until you drive not only rF2 with one, but all your other sims.

Also, you can't compare other sims' FFB with rF2. The curbs and rumblestrips and bumps are modeled geometry, not "canned effects". There's nothing to be "fixed".

The Logitech gear motors just can't express the FFB correctly.

11. NEPALII

NEPALII Registered

The controller.ini file you posted. Do I just copy and paste it over my config.ini? The controller settings file, where do I copy it to, what folder? Maybe you can be my savior :D

Regarding my comments, I have no intention of making the people here and the developers feel bad. The game has a lot of potential, and many things about it that I am enjoying. Just frustrated/disappointed the most important part is not feeling right to me, that's all.

12. martymoose

martymoose Registered

If you copy the file Marty 25 Settings.ini to your UserData/Controller folder you can then load this in game via the in game controller profile. The controller ini file can be copied over but possible that this may be overwritten if you use another default so best just to do via the controller profile as both files should be the same.

Then go to controller options settings and profile then set it up like this.

View attachment 3760

I hope it works better for you.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That is odd as my G25 works just fine in RF2, best FFB I've felt in any game and yes I've played iracing too.i certainly don't get the heavy/light thing you get, default controller.ini too, maybe your settings are different to mine somewhere...either way I'm happy.

14. NEPALII

NEPALII Registered

It seems the controller options settings changes have helped a bit. The wheel definitely feels heavier. The wheel doesn't feel as loose at the center, and I can turn the car more precisely without having huge changes in force. It still has the huge rattling though. :(

Your .ini file isn't much changed from the default. You have 1.5 FFB mult. rather than 1 and you have 100% steering rate instead of 20%. Apart from this, it seemed the same, but the controller options helped a bit, so that's good news. I use the real steering ratio of each car in my settings. I'm going to mess around with the in game and .ini settings and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the help, marty.

15. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I have 6 different Sim titles and NONE of them have this Horrible Rattling- Not even RF1 has this Issue, So for those that say its not the game its the Wheel you are out of your mind.
    The Rattling/Grinding forces me to stop playing 95% of the time cause no matter what is changed in the INI files it stills goes crazy- But you also must remeber that In No way is ISI going to take responsibilty of a ratting/grinding issue that is destroying our wheels theres no way in hell they will admit that. So until this issue is fixed I will most likely just update the builds and wait for a Fix cause my wheel is feeling the effects of the grinding.

16. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

And conversely, ALL wheels work perfectly with rF2 except the Logitech.

To say it's the game and not the wheel, "you are out of your mind." ;)

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Of course one mans Severe Rattling could be another mans Medium Rattling, its all opinion based. I mean panic sets in with RF2 as people have never heard these noises coming from their wheels before and they tend to side with the "its the games fault" argument because of that straight away, those others that just get on with it and drive and are happy too dont worry about their wheel possibly breaking and so therefore dont think too much of the rattling and dont let it get too them...like me!

Who's right? who's wrong? who knows!?! Maybe ISI can aid in future builds or maybe they cant, they may already of percieved that the wheels are to blame and thats that!

My advice: If you're seriously worried your wheel will break then dont play RF2 or buy another wheel, if you're not worried then you're probably having just as much fun as me :)

18. NEPALII

NEPALII Registered

Well, so there really is no way to fix the rattling. I have a 2 month refund policy, so I will wait that long and see if a fix is eventually released. If not, then I'm afraid I'll ask for a refund and don't buy the game at all.

If the wheel had problems, you would see them in other sims. You don't. It's a software issue, maybe ISI coded something that doesn't suit the logitech wheels drivers. It happens, it's a beta, it's understandable. What's not understandable is if this isn't fixed soon, considering the fact that pretty much every G25/G27 owner has problems and there are a lot of G25/G27 owners. Probably the most popular wheel on the market.

It's better with some changes in the settings, thanks to martin, by the way, but it is still not good enough. The game has potential, the FFB, at times, feels like GTR Evo and Netkar Pro, which is great. Just the rattling needs to be fixed ASAP. I find it pretty stupid if ISI is blaming the wheel for the issues. At least, if you are going to blame something, explain why.

19. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

It was already explained a few times, what is the "issue".
    Also, if you were expecting near-polished product, then why you have bought rF 2 at this stage of developement? It is obvious it have bugs, issues etc.

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I know people like to compare sims, but this isn't those other sims. No other sim is running the FFB we are. Gears in a FFB wheel create rattling. By the time the G27 was released, it's technology (gears, rather then belts) was behind the times. The clunking is a change of direction on the cogs of the gears inside the wheel. If you want to feel those changes of direction, rF2 currently does it how it does it. Your options AT THE MOMENT are to buy another wheel, try to tweak settings on your G25 or G27, to reduce FFB settings, or to disable FFB entirely.

It is a known issue, but I am not sure it's a very high priority for the devs to create inferior FFB just to satisfy that technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.