G25/27 horrendous rattling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mee, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

+1

2. steve30x

steve30x Registered

I have my G25 with five years and it rattles like that(in the video on the first post) in most sims with good FFB since I got it.

3. doh

doh Registered

i wanted to order rF2, now im confused and insecure about that "horrendous rattling" (G25)

4. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Looking in the .tdf file for Malaysia, it has the sinus effects for grass set at BumpAmp=0.06 BumpWavelen=1.7 and gravel at BumpAmp=0.09 BumpWavelen=1.0, which is pretty severe. I remember a track in rF1 where the wavelength was similar to this, and it rattled a lot with RealFeel. Nowhere near rF2 though. Hopefully all this can be fixed soon, because it feels a bit like driving in a rock quarry when going off track now.

5. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I'm certain the rattle problem is with the G27 drivers. Specifically, it has a built in deadzone that makes any back and forth forces feel like a jolt. See my posts in another rFactor2 forum. (Jeez, these topics can get spread around.)

post 93 and 96

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2271-A-little-praise-for-the-FFB/page5

Sadly, I think our best hope is to have isi dampen the road (and off road) bumps which IMO will detract from the immersion. BTW, I must say that I think ISI has done a fantastic job on the ff. Other than the G25/27 rattle problem the ff feels great.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  6. In the build 60 you can now reduce the off-road multiplier in the controller.ini file.
    Cheers,
    Oli

7. THracing

THracing Registered

Try this: Steering torque filter="4"

8. kill_em_all

kill_em_all Registered

I understand that one cannot avoid some tradeoff between outstanding "sharpness" of FFB and the wristbreak rattle especially if this lagged function of "Steering torque filter" is used. Can't an attenuation funtion like a sigmoid one be more effective for the steering wheel output?

Anyway, even with the filter value 6 that I'm using, there is still an excellent feeling in the ffb (G27) of the track surface, but also the car balance: it's only in RBR that one could similary feel the car starting to feel light and unstable in the rear end while braking(on the Renault). This helps me much more than any other sim to apply the proper amount of brake.

9. zehnder.eric

zehnder.eric Registered

I read through all these pages and I'll be trying the filter value at 6 in a few minutes.

I will say that anyone saying it's a hardware problem is simply wrong. The issue shouldn't be described as a rattle/noise. The issue is simply that the rumble effects should be somewhere around 25-50% of what they currently are. I've never played a game so harsh in rumble/off-road effects.

I haven't been able to put in more than a few laps. I can easily see it breaking the motors. I do wish I had a belt-driven wheel but I also wish I were paid more, so...

10. Tony

Tony Registered

Two things Eric: I've read somewhere amongst all the posts that the ISI team are still definitely looking for a solution to this. I've got a G27 & found the rattle only really went away for me with the edit line: Steering torque filter="28" ..but's that a personal taste thing :)

Second thing is I agree with you; unless you do edit thing I can also see it causing my wheel premature wear & damage eventually

nb. "..I do wish I had a belt driven wheel but I also wish I were paid more, so.." ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  11. zehnder.eric

zehnder.eric Registered

I tried the 6 setting and it was much better with both Megane and Nissan 370z. I haven't put in all that much time with rFactor 2 but the steering torque filter at 6 seems to have removed a bit of the directness of the FFB (not a ton).

In any case, this has made trying out the content in rFactor 2 a reality so it's a fix I'll stick with! Thanks.

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Since B60 you have additional parameter for tweaking strength for offroad FF. It is as a temporary solution until offroad terrain will get some updates.

13. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I had to ask for a refund until final is released- the G27 was starting to feel very very worn from this issue, hard to drive fast and stay off rumble strips.. Enjoy see you when we are Golden!

14. Paulinho

Paulinho Registered

Mine seems ok if I run up the rumble strips, it's only if I put a wheel down the other side it shakes the tabel. So yes atm I'm driving around 5 seconds a lap slower than I'm meant to :)

15. stonec

stonec Registered

Forgive me if I post in the wrong place, but since this issue is unrelated to any specific build I thought it's best to post here.
    I represent a big team racing in the highest series of FSR (www.formula-simracing.net). FSR still runs rFactor1 this season, but over the year me and various team members have tested rF2, and found it in most parts to be amazing, especially in terms of the physics. The one simple thing that stands out is the FFB, but at the same time it's also the main problem.

Most of our drivers use G25/G27 and everyone have experienced the issues described with rattling. On road it is perfectly fine, but kerbs and off road are the problems. Being a top level sim racer, you have to sometimes practise at unorthodox times, and this is basically impossible now for anyone with close neighbors, due to the sound itself. Secondly, I am somewhat worried about the equipment breaking down too. Obviously, both G25/G27 were quite big investments, especially for our younger generation drivers. Some of our drivers have gone as far as switching the FFB completely off while driving, but this eliminates a great aspect of the game in my view.

From what I have been testing and reading, changing Off-road multiplier=0 only affects certain parts of the effects, and does nothing for the "real" effects on the track. The only way I am able to drive the Formula ISI car over the Sepang curbs at high speed with an acceptable level of rattle is by turning "Steering torque filter" to about 10. This again is no real fix, since the latency grows too high. Apparently, the rattling is a bit less on the G25 due to differences in the FFB hardware, but for G27 I have seen no real fix presented.

So I guess what I would like to know is whether ISI has any short- or long-term plans to work on this issue, before the final release. I would say, this issue will to some extent decide what platform my team and maybe even the league will decide to stick with in the future.

16. Mee

Mee Registered

Has there been a confirmation from someone of ISI that they are actuallty looking into this?
    I barely have touched rf2 since the first beta release because of the rattling. In Build 90 (and a couple of months later) it's still exactly the same from what I can tell.
    It surely shouldn't be too harde to implement a G25/27-only option that limits the spikes being sent to the wheel, no?

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

have you tried any of the fixes? i use Steering Torque Filter 4 on my G25 and the curbs/offroad is just fine, Brianzas Oval is a bit much so put it upto 6 for that.

18. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

Been away from the forum and testing rFactor2 for a long time because I could not stand the off track rattle and all the talk about how real it was to have your teeth fillings rattled out when going off road
    - plus being told to soften the FFB which wrecks all the work ISI have put into creating better FFB.

Now we have a sensible option at last!

I look forward to testing this option.

19. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

Job done; thank you ISI, for listening to the many who value their racing wheels.
    As it should be, the user can now decide!

20. banzai

banzai Registered

I've set "off-road multiplier" to zero and it still rattles horribly. I've also set various other settings per recommendations by other members and nothing works. My wife left me, the kids are plotting my death and the neighbors have called the police. Please help me ISI!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.