Force cockpit view unfair?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Dec 1, 2012.

1. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

come on man GT5?????i tried gt5,my friend owns ps3.and its true in gt5 you are faster with bumper view.but not much faster!!but thats because you cant adjust FOV or seat position to fit your best view.i always use as much close cockpit view i can,to see only glass and top of dashboard.i have external hud so i need only what i see in real car.and the view like that is much wider when closer to windscreen.
    and comparing GT5 and rf2 is ridiculous for me,but who em i to judge ;)

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

If everyone has to use it and people either opt to stay or opt to use such servers with it enabled, then it's as fair as fair can be.

Outside of the difference in monitor sizes (which can ofc play a significant role in how you perform), it is a constant factor for whichever view you use and i therefore think it is an irrelevant point to the OP's question.

Lastly, the majority rules. If you find that all servers had forced cockpit views, or that the most popular servers had forced cockpit views, is it not fair to force everyone to use cockpit view if the majority wish it so? And if this wasn't the case, then why would those people be in that type of server? No-one forces them join and if it was really that unfair/terrible, enough people would leave and group together in one without forced views.

Therefore the question of "is forcing cockpit view unfair?" I find to be sort of semi-oxymoronic or just an incomplete question.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I agree. I should have said "does it make you a dick if you have a triple screen and force cockpit view?"

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

hahahaha....very good.

That really make me chuckle.

I think it's a yes if your the only one with a triple screen setup and you own the server and the masses don't want forced cockpit view. Then it's an unequivocal yes.

5. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I think real f1 drivers will not improve your lap times because they already run on ideal line. So if you get best laps with different view you´re a not a good driver.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  6. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

We force cockpits in our league to ensure immersion. Understandably it creates further visual limitations, but ensures racers generate a better self awareness when they are racing.

That said, if i switch to bonnet view i am normally 3-4 10th's quicker on nearly all tracks we have raced on for many years... Its easier to pick the apex's and turn in points (at least for myself).. Others in our league have commented the same... So based off this - and yes it may not be everyone .. Some views do give more of an advantage than others, due to the inherent additional visibility they issue.

That said, if you allowed the option most in our league would likely switch to bonnet view due to this, but it destroys the immersion and skill, which is something we want to keep.

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

It's the same with rF2,trust me!with bumper view you can brake better,make the lines better......................you have a better total view compraed to the cockpit view!

8. bazzak

bazzak Registered

Anything other than cockpit view is arcade,end of story.

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well, the standard view is not always best when you compare to reality.
    For example an F1 car; I saw a screenshot here somewhere when a guys sits in the FISI and (though it was probably not a forced view, but just as example) even his knees were in the picture; that far back was his seat.
    Now in reality; you CAN see your knees, but have to move your head or eyes down; when in race modus, you look at the track and the rest of the car, shouldn't be in the picture; I don't want to see my knees when driving a track because that's not what I would be looking at when I was driving the thing in real life.

The same is in -again, for example- the Megane; best and most realistic view is in my opinion the bonnet view; that's what you see when you drive a car and pay attention to the track. I have to admit; the rollbar IS in your view in this case, but you hardly would notice; do you see the (don't know how to say this in English, but there where the rollbar would be) "a-style"(?) in your car when you drive? Hardly.....

You have to have a bit of wider view, I admit, but you can let the screen move with you when you make a corner, just like you eyes and head would do in real life.

So; no, forced is not fair I think. With the exception that you don't use any other views like T-cam or above the car; THAT is arcade.

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I have read on many forums for several sims that different views offer advantages over others in terms of lap times. I am sure if you are very well versed in driving in each view you might be able to judge this yourself, but if you are used to driving in 1 view only, then you may not do as well in other views, or might do better.

For visibility and spatial awareness, swingman is the only way to go. You can see around those corners past the apex as well as being able to see anyone that is near you to avoid any collisions. The disadvantage is that you can't tell as much about the elevation changes as you could if you were in another view, thus you may not hit your brake points appropriately.

For close racing, bumper is probably the best due to being able to see right on the rear bumper of the car ahead. The disadvantage here would be that you can't really see around the car ahead so have to pay more attention to what is going on ahead of you and you have to drive off of the line that the car in front is driving.

For realism and immersion, cockpit is the only way to go. The disadvantages would be the lack of visibility due to car body being in the way, or limited view ahead due to only being able to see a little bit above and below the center of the view.

These may change depending on if you are driving tin tops or open wheel cars and if you are using the helmet mod which basically is like driving without a helmet on.

As far as should cockpit be forced, I have raced in a forced cockpit open wheel league and the experience was good as everyone was used to driving like this, but forcing cockpit for open servers is probably not a good idea.

Oh on the subject of triple monitors and head tracking, sure there is an advantage of having triple monitors as it allows you to see to the side of your car more than a single does when the correct FOV is used, but as I mentioned before, a lot of the drivers with single monitors aren't even using anything close to correct FOV, and the FOV can't be forced, so there is no way to know who really has the advantage. Headtracking is nice if you are used to it, but with a button for looking left and right you are capable of seeing the same thing, just not in the same way.

1 person likes this.
  11. perplex

perplex Registered

because in my eyes ýour cheating with some other view. real drivers just cant jump on the roof or looking through the radiator lol(noseview) and drive some laps to get a "better" view,.... i was in some league there was changing fov in config a cheat because you could see much more to your left or right for example, no need for mirrors ....

so its all about the ppl your driving with.
    But there is a problem if forced cockpit view is enabled, the spectators have to use the same view aswell.. not the best solution right now...

12. canastos

canastos Registered

For me, it's not unfair since is simply an admin's prerrogative; for example, would it be unfair to set a 20 laps race instead of 10? :p; I don't think so

byyyyyyyyyye

13. osella

osella Registered

I only ever ran a couple of open servers in rF1, always forced cockpit view, and always will force cockpit view again in rF2 :)

You ask why we care about what view you use, well as others said, I consider anything other than cockpit view cheating, because getting rid of dashboard and float in front of radiator makes it easier to see corners and all, just cheating, point.

14. 10speed

10speed Registered

@osella: So then all real racers are cheating. Because on my 23" screen I have left about 12" windowscreen when I switch to cockpit view. Forcing cockpit view will be realistic and fair as soon as real racecars are replaced by 1/5 scale cars. Or show me a real car with 12 inch front window ... :D To race fast I need to see as much as possible from the actual track. That's why "tv cockpit" is my choice.
    Simracing is difficult enough. Physics are quite sharp compared to real racecars. There is no Popometer, so you have to rely on sound and view.

15. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Thank you for replying. Very helpful. What is your opinion on triple screen advantage?

16. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

I think it's fair.

There are only 2 views a driver should ever be allowed, cockpit/dashboard, and hood/bonnet.

Many drivers with good setups will use a kind of dashboard view, it is like cockpit, but normally further forward with no visible wheel. This is the most realistic. Others with similar triple screen setups will use cockpit view.

And many with 1 screen, like myself, also use cockpit view. But I understand if people like to use hood/bonnet, and it does not give any advantage.

The only time I strongly disagree with allowing users to have whatever view they like, is in cars like Formula 1, where using the t-cam gives an absolutely awesome advantage. In this situation, cockpit should be forced, because it's much harder, and much more realistic, if you are using cockpit.

17. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

View attachment 4901

18. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

this is my driving view.what i cant see and you can?you can tweak your view how ever you want i rf2.
    View attachment 4902

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Many great posts here, guys. Thanks. I believe some common ground (or at least some helpful distinctions) may be coming into focus for me.

- Cams such as bumper cams and whatever cam is that is fully behind the car are more unfair advantage than bonnet cam
    - Bonnet cam helps those with smaller monitors without unfair advantage

How many agree on these two things?

How many think that another option (and keep current option also for nazis) of "force cockpit or tv cockpit view" would be a good thing?

20. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered