Force cockpit view unfair?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Seems unfair. What do you guys think?

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Why is it unfair? Some guys want it realistic.
    But I have to admit I miss the chasing view sometimes. I use it sometimes when I'm on the outlap and just want to look at my beautiful car ;)

3. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I think it's fair.

I don't see why you would want to run any other view (perhaps 'hood-cam' is acceptable) if you're using the software as a simulator.

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Their sandbox their rules.

5. coops

coops Banned

thats the only way to race and to get the best realism.

6. call-911

call-911 Registered

I agree, it's whomever's server's rules. It's like fixed setups... What works for some may not work for others. I personally like the freedom to use whichever view I please. The old sims (like Nascar Heat) the graphical depth and detail was lacking so the view from above the driver was my preference.

1 person likes this.
  7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Not unfair at all, for those that want equal settings among racers it is great thing, there will be servers where cockpit view is not needed also, so it is just matter of choice.

If one has build whole cockpit himself with dashboards and all, maybe moving view to forward would work?

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

it's a simulation game so cockpit view is a must!I use a low FOV(22-27) because it gives the must realistic view.

9. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

unfair????funny thing is when i was playing gran turismo 1 and other old pc race games,say 10/15 years ago.my biggest wish was to have cockpit view,even in GTA II,III i was forcing with some mods to have cockpit view to drive cars :)
    all other views except cockpit and bumper maybe,are for beginners(arcade comers) and people making videos thats my opinion.
    so Force cockpit view is best choice for me if drive leagues.all leagues i drove NKP,rf1...was forced cockpit view.
    i would disable them in game and allow them only in replays if you ask me ;)
    unfair or unrealistic is to drive a car sitting on the roof on the car while others have blind corners and other normal cockpit stuff.
    im in car not in plane :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  10. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Unfair. What is right for me may not be right for you. I see no reason to force people into a box that is clearly wrong for them. Keep the options open. Cockpit view is as equally flawed as any of the others. I think that with a community, a bit more tolerance is in order. Some run their servers like Hitler ran Europe in WWII. Off to the death camps with the roof riders and kite flyers! No gamepad allowed; Shoot on sight! :/ :(

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

This discussion has been going on since sims actually enabled you to sit inside a cockpit, be it aircraft or car. The simple fact of the matter is that most sim racers don't even use a correct FOV when they race in cockpit, so it is a moot point.

There are reasons for being able to drive from bonnet, from swingman and from cockpit. I have known and still know drivers who drive swingman, which I did for a while as well. The reason that option is good is because it allows you to see around you so you are able to keep a safer race instead of running into someone who was in your blind spot. Bonnet racers like it because you can see how close you are actually away from someone's bumper, allowing them to put more pressure on the guy in front without actually touching him. Cockpit view gives the most restrictive view of the virtual world, but is obviously the most realistic.

Driving in cockpit view is like racing with blinders on. Sure the real cars have similar issues, but it is a whole lot easier to turn your head, and there are spotters employed by most race teams that can communicate with the driver to let him know when he is clear.

2 people like this.
  12. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Let me think out loud a second. If you are an admin and have triple screens or trackIR, for example, and I have only a single small monitor, then don't you have a huge advantage over me? I mean, you are going to have an advantage even if you let me use tv cockpit but hell can't you give a poor man a break?

Secondly, if you want it to be realistic then you can use cockpit. Why worry about whether it is realistic for me?

Thoughts?

IRacing pissed me off, too, for example when it didn't let me use h-shifter (which is harder) and forced me to use paddles. Why?

13. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Are there any admins out there that require cockpit view who can explain why they do this?

14. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I only use padles on modern cars that i know they are used. In doubt, i always use the h-shifter even knowing my lap times are worse than with padles. Playing online or not.
    Someone here make a beautiful post about the fun of driving "like" this is a simulator and not a game when you put driving aids and some sort of tweaking controls or views to become faster almost like a cheat.

15. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

We don't force views at SRA.

As stated above, cockpit view has some visibility limitations which is a realistic disadvantage. To ensure no one is disadvantaged (provided they all have the same setup, e.g., single monitor) then forcing a view neutralises this.

16. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

even with one monitor like my self i always use cockpit view and im not the slowest driver..you can always tweak view positioning in cockpit by seat adjustment,but in my case i use glovepie software to zoom in/out pitch...to fine tune my viewing,and then i can use virtual mirror if i cant see the mirrors(only thing i use what its unreal is virtual mirrors).but i use side buttons to to look left,right behind.
    and with one monitor today its cheep to buy head tracking camera to help you to see around better

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Just curious, what size monitor do you have?

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Only one monitor here too and always been in cockpit view...

Only way to go for me. :)

Should cockpit view be forced?

As I use it no matter what I`m tempted to say yes but I know other people use/prefer different views.

In my own little ideal world I`d say yes.

Sorry non cockpit drivers...

19. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

i think more important are mirrors when racing,they saved my races many,many times.racing line,defending line,show your self when overtaking is on my top list.so if you know what you doing you dont need three monitors(but they are + of course).
    practice,practice,practice more fair& experience drivers you have online or league you will be safer ;)

20. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

my man ;)