Force cockpit view unfair?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Dec 1, 2012.

1. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Yeah, makes sense. I wonder if upgrading to a 6870 or 7870, or for that matter a 7800 series would help. iRacing runs fine with three monitors.

2. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

I haven't hosted any sessions in rF2 yet. But when I do, you can bet they will be set to force cockpit view. In a way it levels the playing field. If there are any disadvantages for a particular driver/player, it's only because it's not a view they would normally use. That isn't really my problem.

When I started racing sims, I hated cockpit view. But after running a few leagues in GTR2 and rF, I got used to it.

Pro tip: I run with one screen at the moment. I pull my screen as close to the back of my wheel as I can. This allows me to use a "compromised" FOV that is wide enough to give good visibility, while minimizing the distorted perspective of running a wide FOV.

1 person likes this.
  3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

In that case every room should have all views or you discriminate.

But why have to make that call for all others ?
    Some people are just not going to like it either way ?

One of my points for 2 different versions of the same SIM

ONE WITHOUT AIDS of any sort....... mmmmmmm there would be No confusion or debate or upset people, it would be set in stone.

If you want to drive any view you would obviously buy the Normal rF2 version ?
    You would not buy the Pro version and come to room and complain about settings either.

If you brought the normal version you should well expect that all rooms could have all aids
    and not your perfect setup/combination.

Too easy

4. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Why wouldn't a 'no aids' filter in the server list work just as well?

5. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Then the people who drive with aids would never be tempted to turn them off and get real. There'd be no way to take your hobby to the next level.

6. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Interesting discussion, okay set out my stall...triple 27", cockpit view, FOV 27.

Firstly I cannot see using any view as cheating, if it is in the game...well it's in the game. If it required some kind of hack then yes, but if it is part of the stock view options then it is not by definition cheating.

Is it fair to enforce a view point...Of course it is. You set up a server to your taste, if people like what you set up they join, if they don't like it they look for another server. It's not a matter of fairness.

Is one faster than the other? Well not for me, I have used most views over the years, and because I now have the triples the last one I have used is cockpit. At first it took some getting used to, although the view is very much what I see in my own car, I don't hurtle around race tracks, I had to learn to spot my in points and out points, blind crests and curves really were blind so learning the track became vital. It's a work in process but I am as fast now as I was, on some tracks faster. So it is just a matter of getting used to it.

My 2 cents.

7. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

It does work as well. There are some guys(not DD necessarily) that believe even the presence of driving aids take away from the sim aspect. I ran a league a few years ago, and we ran with TC, but no ABS, because the real life versions of the cars used them. I personally haven't drank the "A true sim has no driving aids" kool aide.

TBH, I don't run driving aids unless the car had them in the real world. Most don't so most of my driving is done without TC/ABS ect..

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You all miss the point I think. :)

It is nothing to do with being a better driver or being separate to aids users.
    It is simply not having the aids menus or needing buttons for them.

100% damage 24/7 would probably help rookies drive neat as much as anything imo.

Hey B67 I NEVER SAID that real cars that have "real" aids would not have them in the Pro version ..... never even thought it.
    If the aids could be disbled / enabled for real so they would be in the Pro version.

I not forcing anyone to do anything, in fact they would have more freedom to choose the version of sim that
    suits them and the people thay want to lap with.

Like you should not be surprised if you got the aids version and still found no aids rooms.

But you not going to find any aids rooms in the Pro version are you.

9. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Of course that info listed in the server list would work just as well, I hope ISI include all the relevant info on any given server, that way people can make educated choices. You aren't going to finds aids on a server that states there are none are you?

10. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

But why have 2 different products with a slightly different menu options? Seems a waste of time and resources to me. But then I'm looking at that from a business point of view.

I haven't looked so I'm not in the know on this, but does the server lobby show the restrictions placed on the various servers? Forced cockpit, fixed setup, ect...

11. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I try to set up my cars , controls and offline sessions etc to mimick real life and I always use cockpit view. I would still buy the 'Normal' version because I can have all the things the Pro version has but not vice versa. There would be 'normal' servers setup with realism settings but if they were empty I could still join ones that don't.

I'm sorry DD I really can't get my head around your idea. :confused:

12. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Hoser.. A vid card update will surely help you, I run a 6870 and have no issues running 3 monitors, my CPU is ancient core duo e6750 and I have 4 gigs of ram.

13. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

Sorry for some Offtopic, but this permanent altiloquence about 2 difference Versions in nearly every 2nd Thread are starting to get nerving!

Yeah ... lets release a "Pro" and a "Aids" Version ... divide this community in real existing 2 groups ... and by association shrink this already small communtiy in 2 even smaller groups.

Let only play the "Profis" together and even so the "Dilettantes"

There are mor Colours beside black and white! Some People like no Aids, some People like all Aids, some People just a few of them. Other People maybe depend on some of this Aids for their own Reason, but still want to play as reallistic as possible.

I would really understand it, if we would forced to use this Aids.

But all this raising to hell, just for the reason that one guy dislike to have some more options in UI??? :rolleyes:

nevermind ...

14. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I never play online because servers doesn´t allow me to race using side cam view.

15. liebestod

liebestod Registered

I doubt anyone gets better lap times with external views than with internal views.

For that reason, I don't care. But on a personal note -- why bother to play a sim with such good cockpit cameras (plus mods like RealHeadMotion) and take a view from arcade games? Cockpit is *so* much more fun.

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The card won't make as much difference to you as the amount of ram on the card would. If you get a 6950 with 1Gb of ram, you have made no real improvement, but if you get the 2Gb version, then you have doubled your ram and would have more room for the higher end graphics and such. An nVidia card with 4Gb would allow even more.

17. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

When you say no issues, have you tried running in a server with 25 cars in front of you, online? Also, how about running it as dusk turns to night and headlights come on? That's when my frames really tank.

18. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

I know I need more VRAM, but does more vram = more frames or am I wasting my time until I upgrade the CPU (going off memory here, but belive it's an i7-960 @ 3.2) as well?

Thinking about the 3 GB 7950 though as a card upgrade right now...

19. MJP

MJP Registered

More VRAM just means you can turn the eye candy up but it's pointless if the card doesn't have the grunt to run at higher settings. Most cards will run out of GPU power before VRAM limitation becomes an issue. The 7950 is arguably the best bang for buck card atm.

20. osella

osella Registered

Whether more vram = more fps depends on how much more vram you are missing with current card. If the software demands much more than you have, than yes more vram itself can increase fps drastically but usually it will just mean you need to tone down some settings a bit and will have the same fps then.