The definitive AI Settings Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Jun 15, 2013.

1. gkz

gkz Registered

hi, thanks for the efforts in here.

just was randomly looking into my config and noticed it states that the AIW file should be, e.g. silverstone, located in C:\Games\rFactor2\Installed\Locations\ISI_Silverstone_2012\1.01
    but i have none for all locations i've got. whats up with that?

another topic, often the AI brakes in the corner after breaking zone or even on the exit for no reason. i just cant understand it as its usually doesnt make sense from the situation (ai car didnt loose traction or something).
    does editing
    AI Brake_Power Usage
    AI Brake_Grip Usage

help on that? usually we drive on standard setting 100% strength and 25% aggression. just recently had this with the clio on nordschleife but didnt seem to matter what car or track combo used to see this behaviour.

we are 2 people that always drive on LAN against AI but always ran into difficulties finding an enjoyable experience with the AI.

last but not least on loch drummond we have a bug with the meganes. they are flying out of the track crashing on this part of the track View attachment 11298 (it goes uphill, then they dont hold the line to keep being on the track, resulting in loosing traction and crashing because they try to cut an elavated curb thats not supposed to be cut). the new hondas drive the same line but somehow the car doesnt loose traction and they keep driving, still doesnt look like a proper racing line.

any input would be very much appreciated, thx

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

at work so can't reply to it all but for now, the AIW files are stored in mas files in rf2 now.If you're not editing them then just leave them well alone.

the AI braking can sometimes be cured by using the autocalibrate 1 setting and even 2. unfortunately this may not totally cure the issue which could be a result of the mod itself, the AIW or base AI code which we obviously can't change.

3. gkz

gkz Registered

ok, so i am confused now when fooling around with autocalibrate "2"
    every driver creats his own .wis file
    started some testing with clios on the nordschleife and there is a folder for each driver CLIO_12,CLIO_13,CLIO_14 and so on

what am i supposed to do??
    run the calibration for every dirver, or let the game create a folder for every car and then just copy paste the file?

one more thing, does aggresion and ai strength influence the results? if yes, what should it be set to?

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Dont quote me on this but I believe from my testing that Yes you need to run one for each driver as they read fro the Talent file (this would make sense), if you look in each WIS file you'll notice different values for different Cars (Drivers). If you copy and paste then I can imagine they'd all drive exactly the same which of course is no fun at all!

Not sure on the last bit, I always run with the following settings:
    Fuel = Normal
    Tires = Normal
    Mechanical Failures = Off
    Strength = 100%
    Aggression = Dependant on what I normally race with using that mod, so for me personally a higher number for Tin Tops and a lower for Open Wheel mods.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

sorry forgot about this bit, it maybe an idea to run autocalibrate="1" so they learn a better line. Having said that I'm not sure whether "1" is now obsolete because of "2" or whether "1" helps "2", or "1" becomes the quick fix whilst "2" is a more solid learning program...may need some ISI input on that!

Incidentally when you're done with "2" dont forget to change this to a "3" (as per the Build 342 changelog) so the WIS files then become Read Only by the AI, as in they wont start recreating or adding to them.

6. gkz

gkz Registered

ok, thanks for fast reply. that was my thought that aswell that its depending on the talent file and therefor needs to be done for every driver, jeez thats a hassle. takes forever to test autocalibrate on NS.

i thought everything should be turned off for calibration mode, not only mech.failures but also tire wear and fuel? or am i mixing something up with rf1?

about autocalibrate="1" and "2" - "1" is doing nothing for me, it doesnt create any ini file. tested with clio on LRP and nordschleife. so i'm working with "2" right now.
    about autocalibrate="3" - i thought we can let it on "2" for races after building a decent sized database on practice first so they adjust further on race conditions?

for every answer i get i come up with 2 new questuions xD
    why does the AI on rFactor has to be such a pain in the ... ? :)

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ok yeah my bad it shoud be all turned off, here's the text from the changelog:

Introduced version 1.0 of new AI learning code. When Autocalibrate AI Mode=”2″ in the playerfile, AIs will run laps in practice trying to optimize their operating parameters on a per corner basis ( up to the new playerfile variable “AI Calibrate Sample Size” number of trials). They create a database (*.wis file…for “wisdom”, in the UserData\player\Settings\componentName\VehicleFile directory) with the results & use these results to adjust their parameters on the fly in a race. Because this is the first release, it’s not completely full-featured…for best results, during practice, disable fuel usage, tire wear, and mechanical failures, and try to keep out of their way (they will not currently ignore a result because the the AI was held up by another car). Results are stored between games, so you may run a race with fuel usage, tire wear, and mechanical failures once the databases are created.
    When Autocalibrate AI Mode=”3″, the AI will only read and use existing knowledge.

I'm not sure whether leaving it on "2" overwrites or adds too existing WIS files (need to test this I suppose), obviously as earlier "3" is read only. Judging by what I quoted from MikeZ above getting a good 240-300 laps worth and then switching to "3" is an ok thing to do. As you say though larger tracks will take ages!

"1" works for me at LRP, only the one car is needed to create the INI file so check all folders (same location where the WIS files are created), again as before not sure if all cars read the INI or not or just that car, it used to save elsewhere in rf1 so all cars read the file. My worry is now that it saves in one cars folder then not all cars read it, I could be wrong though.

AI out the box in RF2 is prefectly raceable with the right mod & track combo, ok some mods & tracks may not work correctly and will need tweaking (either on the mod and/or track side as well as PLR changes).
    What "1" does it essentially provide a quick fix, I've used this to great effect in the past to fix slightly dodgy AI areas on tracks.
    "2" essentially for me becomes a further improvement tool to make the AI better than they were originally, whether they were Good or Bad before. Dont forget that the track needs a good AIW created though, if that's bad then no amount of autocalibrating will fix it....speak to the track author!

It' can be a headache when you dive under the hood and start WIS and INI creating along with Talent files as well (which I'm doing currently and believe me it's woprth it in the end!)) but AI is a complex art and certainly not as simple as games used too have it, as before though it can be raceable without any PLR changes.

8. gkz

gkz Registered

ok thanks man, i will test that with the .ini file another time. if it creates files for others it should for me, too. will be messing around with the clios on nordschleife at first to see if it can fix some problems, its just our must have number one track we love to race on. so if anyone has tips for this, would be very much appreciated! i'll write on the ns thread if they will be modding the AIW for ns. needs some ajustments for sure.

also one thing i found out: if you run a calibrate mode and activate only practice (qualify,race is off) no .wis file will be created! instead of "practice 1" it is called "testday" and this seems to screw up the calibration. edit:
    and something i forgot, if running a very long session better to turn off time scale. AI drives slower at night :) Clios need 24h for about 150 rounds or so

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  9. gkz

gkz Registered

what would happen if I add up the calibration files for each driver?
    by that i mean, i copy paste the data from all the drivers .wis into every other .wis file creating one huge database. would that mess things up?
    like the slow drivers would eventually try the things the fastest drivers do and crash or something because their talent can't handle it? or maybe the other way around and the fastest driver would do things that slow them up?

MikeZ?

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I would'nt do that personally as again *if* they read from the Talent Files then the WIS are created soley for that driver, once you create a big enough WIS file for each driver I dont really see any point in copy & pasting into each one.

11. Galaga

Galaga Banned

can somone summarize whether i should be fooling with this ATM? seems a lot of tweaking / fiddling mumbo jumbo in here. is this not ready for prime time? or if ready for prime time is there instructions? are the instructions in the release notes inadequate or are you guys just obsessed with tweaking or does it really just not work or something in between?

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

answers in bold

13. gkz

gkz Registered

well for me, i am just obsessed with the nordschleife and will probably do everything i can to get it working with the AI :) my dream is still some kind of VLN race with different classes, mixing them up and driving an endurance race with a friend of mine on LAN. thats my goal personally. but for that the community has to edit the AIW, thats a long way to go. so the .wis file creation is a first step for me to try improving the experience at least a bit :)

14. Galaga

Galaga Banned

thanks for responses but just one more clarifying question. is this something dummies can use now at all or just go with out of the box AI?

15. gkz

gkz Registered

i'm myself kind of a dummie on modding rf :) autocalibration is not hard
    but you should first try the out of box AI to see for yourself. test your favourite cars and tracks first. easiest is to stick with ISI cars and tracks to start off and gain some experience. no sense modding something where you even dont know what you want to modify or improve ;)

on another matter @MarcG
    i tried calibrate "1" with Clio on LRP again, still no *ini file is generated :/ it cant be that i'm the only one? anyone else has any input on that? .wis file creating no problem at all ...

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

depends if you want to learn it all, if you have the time then the end reuslt is worth it iMO.

Works for me, you are doing it correctly?

autocalibrate="1"
    Practice Session ONLY (untick Qually & Race)
    1 AI

He'll go out on track and you'll see at the end of each lap that he's "off by 34metres" for example, when he's completed he says "Track learning successful" or words to that effect.

17. gkz

gkz Registered

oh ... you are supposed to untick qualify and race for calibration 1""?? exact opposite of calibration "2" then. i had it ticked/on .... oh my :) will give it a try later then ... thank you!

anyone can tell if it influences which way around you do the calibrations? e.g. do first the "1" and get better results for "2"? otherwise i would have to create an ini file first and make a do over on all the wis files, that would be very annoying.

again - thank you very much

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah we need MikeZs input on "1" then "2" or whatever rule, I'm kinda hoping he writes up a blog like the other Devs have done on the official site (one day no rush!!), this may help newbies better than me banging on in this thread :p

19. NovaXRT

NovaXRT Registered

Can somebody tell me what AISpec=(#.0000,#.0000,#.0000,#.0000) does? I think it doesn't even work... I put a 0.0000 in the 'Cornering speed' thing and it doesn't nothing, it justs take the Speed as always from the .rcd file...

20. Galaga

Galaga Banned

ok thanks for replies. this will be good as something to put on my list to investigate when i bet bored :)