The definitive AI Settings Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Jun 15, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's a bit broken in this build (Fixes coming in the next build), as per the release notes "Because this is the first release, it's not completely full-featured" so for now it's probably best waiting unless you really wanna dive in and figure it out. I did have a go with the Unstable release and when 342 first came out but my results were very hit and miss, if I get more time I'll have another play with it but wont experiment fully until the next Build.

2. dasa

dasa Registered

hi guys.... Autocalibrate mode 2 does not work in this new build .... at least in my case .... maybe this doing something wrong .... has anyone tried it?

3. domhnall

domhnall Registered

Does anyone know if there's a way to control the pace of the AI co-driver?? I would like to run some longer races with the AI taking over for certain stints of the race, I would like to be able to ensure that the AI drives at a similar pace to mine.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Had a quick play with the Clios at Mores and it worked, tried them at Essington and it failed. Maybe theres something that needs to be in the track files for modders to put in themselves, need confirmation on this of course. I'll have another fiddle one day

The only way it might work is if you create a Talent File and add yourself to that with equal values, this would of course take some time to get right if it did work. It sounds quite interesting actually so when I get time I'll have a look and see if it does.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Further information from Mike regarding the new Wisdom files, full post and link below:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...king-Build-382?p=235640&viewfull=1#post235640

There are no AI "chat" messages indicating that this is working. That is my fault; I'll implement some for the next build.

Secondly, this new system doesn't make little improvements every lap like the old system tried to do. In this new system, the car goes out for (by default) 24 laps at a time (he warms up his tires the first 3 laps, then runs 3 alternating trials of X laps each...as defined in the playerfile....default is 7). After that 24* lap excursion, he returns to the pit and figures out which of the 3 trial values for that particular variable worked best (i.e. fastest time) through each "corner" and adds those results to his "wisdom" database. Then, before he refuels and heads out for another run, he figures out a new variable to test & 3 "trial" values (for each corner) to try based on past best values.

I've been setting the game in time acceleration mode and letting them run 240-300 laps to build up a decent sized database.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Seems to be a problem with Essington as no mods create a valid wis file, as in it's just empty. Hav'nt got time to try and figure it out yet, other tracks I've tried do work just fine so far though.

MikeZ one question, when Autocalibrate="1" the *track_name*.ini file is created in the cars folder that did the Run. Can I presume that All cars in the mod read from that ini file? or do we need to run this for every car in the mod? thanks

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

View attachment 11245 There is a message that comes up when you calibrate the AI.

There's no .wis file, but there is a .ini file that is placed in the userdata folder for the car that was used to calibrate. It could be a prob if each different car needs to be calibrated and the whole mod can't use the file created by one car/class. Imagine is the GP79 mod has to be calibrated for each track with each car you want to use. For a 12 track offline season you'd have to do this hundreds of times.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

*.wis files are created when you set autocalibrate to 2, the *.ini files are when it's set to 1.

As with rF1 you just did one (autocalibrate="1") per Car & Track, that's what I'm hoping is the same with RF2 but need Mikes response as per my question above.

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

OK, I see now. I had set it to 1 instead of 2.

I ran a session with no quali or race, just a practice session. This let the cars in the mod train and they all have their own .wis file now. There was no message from the AI saying they are training (when I set it to 1 there was a message). I put all the cars in the mod on track, hit Ctrl X and let them lap. I tried differing amounts of laps (one track only about 40-50, another track I let lap over 200, and on another track I let them g for a few hours but they did as little as 8, as many 230 because the AI just kind of decided how many laps they wanted to do and parked it).

Tomorrow I'm going to try an offline race and see how the AI are. I also loaded those .wis files on to my dedi server (different machine, different install- nothing fancy) and I want to see how the online AI racing is, or if that will even work (same mod and same tracks so I don't see why it would not work)

10. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Please report back how it worked out....

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

as above MikeZ states there is no message currently but will be in the next build.
    I've noticed this too, what I'll do today is turn Mechanical Failures Off as the cars that did hardly any laps had smoke pouring from their pit garages! so maybe that's the issue.

I raced against the Clios at Mills Inner Loop B last night with a fairly hefty WIS calibration and they do simply seem better than before, you can clearly see them taking different lines through corners especially when racing each other. Although not the best track as they rarely Block on the straights so I wonder if the AIW is'nt upto scratch with this track, I'll try another track today.
    They are also better at human "side by side" racing but not quite good enough yet, they still have the tendency to drop off a bit too much for my liking, even with high a Aggression set.

I'd like to see the AI Mistakes get some love soon (in my tests it's very Hit 'n Miss currently), as it currently is they're heading towards being Super AI who never spin or crash which for me would be annoying. Even the great Senna, Schumacher and Johhny Herbert made mistakes!

Edit: first post edited with WIS details

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013
  12. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

No races yet (I just woke up after letting the Procar mod run on that new 07 Jarama track all night) but the .wis file is very small in all the files I have created.

Here's what's in the .wis for a car I let run lots of laps yesterday
    //[[gMa1.002f (c)2013 ]] [[ ]]
    {
    CorneringCaution
    UnderSteerEffectOnThrottleMulti
    UnderSteerEffectOnLineMulti
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }
    {
    CorneringCaution
    SPEED
    }

that's it after over 100 laps. If I set AI calibration to 1, I get a .ini file that has a lot of coordinates in it and is a bigger file than the .wis even though the AI creates that file in only under 30 laps (IIRC it was in 28 or so laps)

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yep that's a problem possibly with the track as I get the same results with Essington, I've yet to figure out why though.
    Again you dont need to let it run all night, just set a long enough Practice session and hit Time Acceleration (ctrl + X), do it with Palm Beach as that works just fine, like MikeZ says let them run 240-300 laps.

I've done it with the Meganes (own Talent files) this morning and the results are good compared to standard AI pre 342 Build (before this feature was added), they take different lines into and out of corners, I've even seen them do the Undercut which I've never noticed before (or cant remember seeing), although the Slipstreaming issue is still there and some corners where they could easily undercut they touch the brakes. I'm doing a longer WIS run now to see if that helps, this is after doing an inital autocalibrate="1".

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013
  14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Turn OFF Replays as when you exit the track or RF2 will "hang" for a period of time, I originally thought it was because the WIS files were being created but then I noticed my schoolboy error when I had Replay files 1gig in size :D

Another tip is to run RF2 in a window so you can safely do other stuff whilst it's running in the background, set Pause If Focus Lost="1" to 0 in your PLR to allow this, even with Time Acceleration it takes awhile to complete a good run of 200+ laps.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok had a play and unfortunately this does'nt work, it seems when you select the AI to take over your car they have a standard speed that cannot be altered with a Talent file change, I'm not sure if there is another way to do this :(

16. domhnall

domhnall Registered

Ok, thanks very much for trying. Pity it didn't work.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

WIS file example, I wont post it all so see attached file below:

{
    CorneringCaution
    {
    test = 0
    {
    0.750000 = 4.520215
    {
    off right = 0.123706
    off left = 0.160156
    front left grip = 0.982313
    front right grip = 0.777513
    rear left grip = 0.980531
    rear right grip = 0.835936
    }
    1.000000 = 4.523633
    {
    off right = 0.148499
    off left = 0.125184
    front left grip = 0.981485
    front right grip = 0.805351
    rear left grip = 0.988452
    rear right grip = 0.827404
    }
    1.250000 = 4.526520
    {
    off right = 0.131960
    off left = 0.147634
    front left grip = 0.992286
    front right grip = 0.795254
    rear left grip = 0.975771
    rear right grip = 0.841209
    }
    UnderSteerEffectOnThrottleMulti = 0.750000
    UnderSteerEffectOnLineMulti = 1.000000
    SPEED = 1.000000
    }

the attached file is'nt a perfect example but gives you some idea of what's inside.

Attached Files:

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The system doesn't work. I did a session with an ISI car on an ISI track and it only wrote out a couple of the .wis files right. I did a non-ISI car on an ISI track and it only wrote out 1 .wis right. Then I did an ISI car on a non-ISI track and it wrote none correctly.

It's hit-or-miss AT BEST and since rF2 is supposed to support modding (I almost never drive ISI content myself) it definitely does not work right. So writing out an old style .ini file is the only way that will actually work. Another good idea poorly executed.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

don't use it then until it's properly working for you, it's a recent addition and needs time to develop just like rf2 in general.

FYI - works just fine for me bar a few discrepancies, I've currently got 6 tracks worth of full wis files (over 60kb each) for 19 AI per track.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Another tip (for those that have the patience with WIS files) is that your player car will generate a WIS file but obviously that will be 2kb with nothing in it, dont be fooled thinking it does'nt work when you see thatfolder!

Camaros @ Croft work perfectly fine, here's a better example than the one above (this is only a very small section of the WIS file not the whole thing):

//[[gMa1.002f (c)2013 ]] [[ ]]
    {
    CorneringCaution
    {
    test = 0
    {
    0.750000 = 3.165185
    {
    off right = 0.146437
    off left = 0.087214
    front left grip = 1.000000
    front right grip = 0.936709