The definitive AI Settings Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Jun 15, 2013.

1. domhnall

domhnall Registered

The different lines feature could be useful for oval racing. Somewhere like Atlanta for instance where some drivers run right up against the wall could be simulated.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah for Oval racing it could be done easier, just 3 "Race Grooves" and in the Talent file link a few drivers to each one, trouble is then the AI not swapping between each of the three when required, they'd just sit in their Groove.

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

after I have looked into the AIW editor and played a bit around I have a couple of questions:
    - Is it possible to package a update for a track only with improved or extended AIW settings ? For example in offline races I want use my own lines. For MP it should be the original.
    - ISI AIW quick help from devcorner speaks from a block path. Under which conditions the AI use a block or alternate path?
    Edit: Think I found this in ISI's AIW paper. For blocking moves the path must be called BLOCK..... Seems that it is ATM hardcoded ?
    - In the AIW editor are some functions to add manually custom actions to the AI. Don't remember exactly how the name was but it seems similar to what the AI calibration does. Has anyone experience with the usage of this? My hope is I can use this to bring some variation into AI's driving.

thx alex

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

You can add different lines for every AI driver.
    Must be set in the .rcd-Talent file.
    Maybe that helps.

Greets
    Pete

5. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Pete thx for your reply. Yep that could be a good solution for personal customized offline races :) If I understand it correct you mean I can set for some drivers individual lines with the DrivingLine value in the driver section of the talent file?
    I have looked into some ISI talent files and for example in the ISI 370_GT4 I can see this: "DrivingLine = GT4_FAST"in the first part.
    In the AIW file of ISI Portugal GT Layout the path is available "definepath=GT4_FAST" so no big deal to understand how it works but if I look in the talent file of the ISI Honda Civic I can't see a "DrivingLine" Value.
    Instead there are this lines (which are not in the 370 talent file :confused:):
    OverSteerThrottleReaction = -100.0
    UnderSteerEffectOnThrottleMulti = 150.0
    UnderSteerEffectOnLineMulti = 100.0
    I guess this has something to do with the new AI calibration but how the hell the AI knows where they have to drive on the track ? Maybe they use in case of no path setting the fastest_path by default ? Have you any idea ?

Edit: Found this in the ISI paper:
    Please note, ISI is currently developing a new, more robust form of AI learning so that the AI will
    learn how to drive each track as best as possible. While this work is still in progress it is proving very
    successful in testing. This will make the tweaks suggested above not as necessary as they currently
    are, if they will even be required at all. Stand by for more info on this….

I think I will wait for the next build to see if there are changes or improvements in the AIW code.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

exactly this!

Most likely.....

The new value are most likely things that will be added to other talent files later too.
    simply check it out: make a aiw line, name it and then add the DrivingLine thingy
    with the correct name to some talent files.

Greets
    Pete

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

see Page 6 where I did the individual AI lines

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Build 494 issue, from the Changelog:

MODDING / PUBLIC DEV
    ————————
    Now looking for driver RCD files in vehicle components as well as (hopefully soon to be phased out) talent components.

AI
    ————————
    Fixed some cases where RCD files were not loading.

My RCD always worked prior to this build using talent components, now they dont work even though above says "as well as". So immidiate issue suggests RCD are now only read from vehicle components, just hope the mod groups comply and realise this is now changed.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ok this needs some testing, I put the Talent.mas file (that worked before in the previous Build as a seperate Talent component) into the Vehicle component but it does'nt work in game.

Suggestion ISI; when you change stuff like this could you perhaps give a little more info please as it's a PITA for us to guess and work it out for ourselves when you know exactly how it works, just an idea, thanks.

10. MikeZ

MikeZ Registered

Could you tell me what vehicle component you are having issues with so I can try to recreate this? I just tried 4 different car components and they all worked fine. Granted...

"Now looking for driver RCD files in vehicle components as well as (hopefully soon to be phased out) talent components."

shouldn't be listed under the "Modding/public dev" heading...that particular entry should just be under the standard "AI" entry since talent files are (or at least should be) read in the same way there as they have always been in mod mode.

I didn't (at least intentionally...) remove support for talent components. I just also now also look for them bundled up with the vehicle component as well.

Anyway, please provide me with some more information & I'll see what I can figure out.

Thanks,
    Mike Z

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks Mike for taking your time, I'm using my own variation of the ISI Megane so I'll try to describe it as best I can:

I have:
    All_Stars_Megane.mas
    All_Stars_Megane_car.mas
    All_Stars_Megane_Teams.mas
    - These get packaged as a Vehicle Component in the previous build.

I then have:
    All_Stars_Megane_Talent.mas
    - That is then a Talent Component in the previous build.

I insteall both rfcmp files and they worked perfectly before.

So far with Build 494 I have tried:
    Including All_Stars_Megane_Talent.mas with the first 3 mas files in a Vehicle Component = Does not work.
    I have put the RCD file into each of the top 3 mas files individually = Does not work.
    I tried putting the RCD direct into the Vehicle Component = Does not work as you can only add mas files!

I'm now all out of ideas :confused:

12. MikeZ

MikeZ Registered

I assume you are seeing "unable to find RCD file for driver of Megane_Trophy class car" in the trace.txt file? (or whatever you changed the class name to, if you did)

Are you running in "All Cars & Tracks" mod or another mod?

could you post or send me that talent *.rfcmp? I'll install it here and see if it gets properly added to the driver database when I run "All cars & tracks" mod.

Thanks

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Did'nt think to look in the trace file and yes there's a whole heap of No RCD errors, running in All Cars/Tracks, had to rar the rfcmp so hope it attched ok.

EDIT: the trace.log was from weeks ago. When I use a seperate rfcmp for the Vehicle & Talent no trace.txt is created but RCD is'nt working as expected.

EDIT #2: Lol sorry just noticed the trace.txt is in the ModDev folder, I dont use that at all for RCD editing just the plain normal Single Player mode!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  14. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

@pete and @marc thanks :) helped me a lot. Good place here :)

15. MikeZ

MikeZ Registered

@marc -thanks for that. The rar worked fine. So did the talent file though... (I installed the component, and then watched it get added to the driver database while debugging). So I'm a bit stumped at the moment, will have to give it more thought.

I will say that the last couple of times this happened to me here, it was because somebody changed the

Classes="All_Star_Megane"

field in the veh file and didn't change the class field in the corresponding RCD file.

In the mean time, I'm going to add some more logging to this process and think a bit more about it. Thanks for the help.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No problem Mike I'm happy to help just get a bit frustrated when simple things dont seem to work!
    As for the Classes field yes that's all present and correct in all the VEH files, when I first started creating my own Talent it took me a while to link that to the first line in the RCD...once I did that voila the talent worked!

Hope you can get it sorted, I've got some free time this weekend so if you need any more help or for me to try anything just shout.

17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Guys, I have the problem that in "some mod" the AI is WAAY to slow.
    Now I read this post and even the opening is not really saying what it does........ It just goes: "seen this being asked here a few times", but I have no clue.
    But; it's about AI and I should be in the right place I figured. ;)

Some time ago I was fiddling with talent files but now I can't seem to reproduce.
    At that time, Tim told me not to do that because soon, there was "AI car set sharing" coming to stop people messing with files.
    So, hows that going, someone know about this?

Or; if I want faster AI; what to do best? The first post is about making a whole new game as I see it ;)

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

what mod?
    ISI or community made?
    does it have talent files?
    what track? all or just one?

need more information as it could be anything, if a community mod then maybe it's not been tailored for AI properly. If there's talent files maybe the Speed setting is too low.

19. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

FYI
    Since build 493 I've seen for some mods it is possible to create a AI driver and edit the talent settings from the UI but it works not with all cars/mods.
    Anyway it is a nice feature. With URD-EGT for example it is possible to create a custom AI and edit the talent settings from the UI.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah I noticed that too but not fiddled with it yet