The definitive AI Settings Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Jun 15, 2013.

1. gkz

gkz Registered

+1

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Aboslutely right Marc. That is the purpose of writing instructions and learning tutorials. Putting the time on those is always a good investment. It is ridiculous that most of the things are clarified by the method of question/reply in a forum. It is repetitive, inaccurate and difficult for others to find. ISI prefers it that way according to recent history.

enviado mediante tapatalk

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

View attachment 11390 View attachment 11391 View attachment 11392 Since "2" hasn't been working for me unless with official ISI content, I have been using "1" with OK results. I'll put one car on the track for a practice only session and the message comes up that it is training. I let it train in fast forward (Ctrl X) until it says it is finished. If it's a single car mod, there's no problem at all. Done. With a multi-car but single-class mod, I copy the training file that was generated (it is an .ini file) to all the other cars' settings files. It'd probably be better to do a separate session for each car but..... 9 cars, about 30 mins to do all this.... I don't have 4+ hours to sit around training cars!

using "2" is good in one way- it creates a separate folder for each car so I don't have to. I only copy the .ini in the settings folder for one of the individual cars for each car in the mod. I'm hoping that the game reads that .ini for each car.

To test this, I took the cars out on the new Gold Coast 600 track with the BES mod. No training files at all- and even practicing with other cars on track was impossible. They just piled up at the first chicane. I gave them 30 mins but at the end of the 30 min practice I could discern no improvement. So I exited out, and set up a practice session with only one car from the mod and let it do the entire session until the AI said they finished training, then I finished the session. Then I exited, copied the generated .ini file to one individual car folder for each of the other cars in the mod. Then I went back out for a normal practice-quali-race session (I only did the practice though). There were some issues at the chicanes, but I could do some laps clean and the AI was doing clean laps and putting up better lap times.

Before generating the GOLDCOAST.ini training file and copying it to 1 individual car folder for each car in the mod, I could not do a lap around the track with AI- I had to cut each chicane to avoid the carnage. After I did the training and all that, I could do laps around there with AI without cutting the chicanes. Good first results doing it like this, more testing needed.

Attached is what I mean by the settings folder and by an individual car's settings folder

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I downloaded that track last night Guy but yet to have a chance to try it out properly, interesting finds on the INI files though. Would've hoped they would be saved to the Vehicles folder and therefore automatically read by every car, I'll have a play at somepoint.

Currently I've got to a point with my Megane mod (normal ISI one with own Talent & community Skins) that I'm happy to race them on 5 different tracks all with WIS files, the major and I mean MAJOR thing missing is "Natural AI Mistakes", they do have the odd moment here and there but it's nowhere near enough to resemble Human mistakes. And after reading what's coming up in ACs AI then I hope something can be done with RF2s lot, it's gonna be a PLR entry but I'd love a Slider under Aggression that reads "Natural Mistakes" 0% = None to 100% = Banger Racing!

5. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Question for the group. I ran two races at Portugal with Spark F1. First race was AI strength = 91%. Second race was AI = 92%. Fastest laps for top three AI finishers for first race were all in the 43s. For the second race with higher strength were all in the 45s. Why? PLR AI settings are default except I set auto line smooth = 3 and limiter = 0. Here are the detailed results from first race...

http://simresults.net/140109-k1Q

... and the second race...

http://simresults.net/140110-Gx9

Thoughts?

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

was there rubber on the track for the second race?
    hard to tell why the times are slower, could be more battles at the front for example.

7. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Green track both races. No practice or qualify sessions either race. Regarding battling, first race had more position changes. I will be doing more races here this week so will run results for those as well.

8. Cpt_Johann

Cpt_Johann Registered

Hi Guy,

Using Gold Coast and the ISI Corvette I couldn't get "2" to work initially with auto-calibrate but I could if I had already run "1" first. I.e I think you can run "1" and then "2" attempts to improve on it??

Either way my vette AI still likes clobbering the chicanes :(

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've noticed something about how regimented the AI are with waiting until their tires are warm at the start of a race, it seems things quickly settle down after the start and they go into their Single File order for a couple of laps then suddenly they start fighting for position (blocking aswell) once those tires have warmed up.
    Try the ganes at SIlverstone and you'll see, down Hanger Straight the first couple of laps there's barely any movement with them, then after Lap 2/3 they're battling all over the place!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
  10. Galaga

Galaga Banned

don't see in op. is there a way to force ai to use clutch? many thanks in advance :)

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm currently learning (fast!) how to create AIW from scratch, it's giving me a bit more of an insight into the whole AI model and how they work at tracks. I cannot stress enough that if the AIW is no good then the AI simply will be no good when racing them, many people claim RF1/RF2 has poor AI....I often wonder how many of those tracks they raced with have poor AIW! Even with the autocalibrate 1 & 2 (WISDOM Files) they dont help on a poorly created AIW, I just plead with all track makers to make sure the AIW is upto a decent standard, it really should'nt take that long, if they cant do it then ask for help!

I dont believe so no sorry.

12. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Ok thx

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Hi marcg. I would be willing to include improved AIW into my tracks. If you happen to redo any AIW of a track of mine I would really appreciate it and for sure include in future updates.

enviado mediante tapatalk

14. domhnall

domhnall Registered

I may have found a solution to this. In rfactor 1 you can place the following line in a track's gdb file;

AIDryGrip = 1.09

You can change the number top adjust the AI's pace. It turns out this affects the ai co-driver pace as well. So by tweaking this line, you can get the ai co-driver on your pace, and then change the ai strength slider to get the competitors running at the same pace also. Any ideas if this will work in rf2 also?? I'm struggling to figure out how to repackage a track after editing it so haven't been able to test it yet.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok just had a quick play with this setting and it seems all AI use this value in RF2, I changed it to 5.00 (yes massively high) and all AI cars tried to go round a tight hairpin in 5th gear, they all rolled including the AI driven human car.
    So therefore I dont think this would work individually for the human AI car as all AI cars are governed by this setting.

16. domhnall

domhnall Registered

Forgot to mention in my previous post, that in rf1 I found that the pace of the human ai car was not effected by of the other parameters such as the the ai strength slider (hoping this is the same in rf2). SO my proposal is to use the gbd file to get the ai co driver at the correct pace, and then use the remaining parameters to setup the remaining ai cars. Hope this makes sense. 5th gear!! Would love the see a video of that :)

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah with a lot of tweaking & testing you probably could get it working just how you want it, might take a while but it'd be worth it in the end especially if you're doing a long endurance race with the AI. With that respect dont forget the handy "Resume From Replay" feature, a 24Hours of Nords spread over a week is easily achieved :)

-=-=-

Just a note I'm gonna spend an hour or so cleaning up the first post and adding everything into the RF2 Wiki as well, although this might not happen until ater the next Build so additional stuff from that goes straight in. Also information from AIW creation and tweaking will work its way in once I learn more myself, but anyone who has vast AIW experience please feel free to post Tips.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just succesfully gave an AI driver an Individual Line at Silverstone International, basically created a new path named LOWNDES and drove all over the track (to make sure it worked!), saved in the AIW Editor then saved the AIW file, then created my own Silverstone v0.1 so as not to disrupt the orirignal.
    In my own mod I then added the bottom line to Lowndes' RCD entry:

Craig Lowndes
    {
    Nationality = Polish
    DateofBirth = 9-2-1981
    Starts = 56
    Poles = 2
    Wins = 2
    DriversChampionships = 0
    Aggression = 94.6
    Reputation = 90.9
    Courtesy = 50
    Composure = 20
    Speed = 90
    QualifySpeed = 90
    WetSpeed = 93.0
    StartSkill = 90
    Crash = 5.5
    Recovery = 98.0
    CompletedLaps = 94.3
    MinRacingSkill = 99
    DrivingLine = LOWNDES
    }

End result in game was Lowndes driving on his own specific line (all over the place!), you can see here by the Real Road gradually building up on his own line compared to that of the default FASTEST line of the AIW:

GRAB_013.JPG

Of course not every driver takes totally different lines but some drivers do (Lowndes, Todd Kelly in V8Supercars for example), so if you want to really create a realistic race with real life driving lines then it's totally possible....but a hell of a lot of work! Depending on the track size and different number of AI drivers you want to have different lines, one track could take quite a lot of time. Of course you could link more than one driver to a specific race line to save time and that would cut time down significantly.
    So really this is for those of you who wont mind spending a while in ModDev creating individual lines, but that's just for one track, you want to do a season be prepared to spend HOURS in ModDev...and that's not to mention the time to unpack a track & mod and repack everything!
    Definatley not for the faint hearted, but proves it can be done!

To get started in AIW Editing download and study this guide by ISI:
    http://downloads.imagespaceinc.com/rf2/modsresources/rF2_AIW_Creation_Tutorial.pdf
    Then study this thread for community help with hints & tips:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/16892-AIW-(AI-Path)-Creation-Tutorial-PDF

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
  19. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Problem is, your driving line will change as the rubber comes in. I don't know if the AI can do that.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No I dont believe the AI will follow the rubbered line but essentially with WIS files they will have slightly different lines through corners anyway so eventually a wider portion of the track becomes rubbered in, especially if you have a few AI using Individual Lines as above. It's still a hell of a lot closer to Real Life than any other Sim and there's still some way to go yet!