The definitive AI Settings Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I'm supposing those lines are the substitute to AIAimSpeedsPerWP=(X, Y,..., Z) mentioned above that MikeZ stated is now inserted in the RCD file. If I understood right, each driver can have several AIAimSpeedsPerWP based on those lists (the example in your first post is only "default", so it's not optimized for a specific mod.

Actually those values (now in list form, before they were a single line) are how far the AI "looks" in order to manage its throttle and brake parameters. If you're using a low grip mod as a normal road car, you'll have to use higher numbers otherwise the AI will spin and go off track.

I've been seeing F1 historic mods (e.g. 1968 cars or something) which has the HDV values based in the default rFactor BMW F1 which keeps the AIAimSpeedsPerWP untouched. As result, you get the cars crashing and going out of the tracks in every corners due the lack of grip plus the wrong AIAimSpeedsPerWP values. Simply swapping this line in HDV file (now in RCD) the AI start to drive correctly as a magic.

Now, it seems you can adjust it in RCD, so you can use the same AI driver in several categories since you create a specific list for the new car you want that "he" drives.

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

So Build 240 did nothing to correct the too-timid AI that won't pass?

3. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

I thought that was resolved by generating a new .PLR file? My A.I doesn't seem to be timid?

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ah ok mate thanks for that, another thing I'll have a play with...the list grows!

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Specific to 240? I did that with the last build and it made no difference. Didn't bother to this time until someone confirms the AI issue is fixed and it's worth the time to go in and fiddle with all the manual settings (a pain in the butt).

6. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

i think it is track specific. On ISI tracks, the AI pass me if they can... i've noticed on community created tracks that they seem less likely to do so... (at least some of the tracks). Could it be something that ISI is doing in their tracks that the community doesn't know about?

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

AI is very dependant on the quality of the aiw file, if that's poor then you get poor AI...simple as that, nothing you can do specifically unless you edit the AIW yourself.

no need to edit any settings, AI are perfectly raceable on default in previous and current build on ISI tracks and community tracks with good AIW.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Good to hear, sort of! I'll test some more--it may very well be that it's my favourite feels tracks that are the problem.

What's the latest wisdom on the Auto Line Smooth= issue? What should we set that to, or does it have any effect?

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

see page one, MikeZ made it clear enough

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

He also said: Because rF2 let's you define any number of "fastest" paths, this is a bug. One that I'll be fixing in a future update...(build 233 and beyond)

So it's now beyond 233 and I didn't see a clarification or update from anyone. Assumed it would be in this thread if there was one...

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

wel if it's not in the release notes then I guess not

12. MikeZ

MikeZ Registered

nah....that IS fixed in the latest update. Specifically- you can now smooth any particular paths you want....(before this build you could only ever smooth the "FASTEST" and the "LEFT" path....no mater what value 'Auto Line Smooth' was set to.)

Now....say you have 5 different paths....and you want to smooth path 1, 3, & 5.....set your 'Auto Line Smooth' value to 21 (1 + 4 + 16) and those 3 paths get smoothed.

The reason it wasn't in the release notes was....because this really isn't something most end users should be messing with. (I listed some reasons why this is more of a development tool the last time I posted about it.)

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks Mike for the update, yeah I read your original post as "intended for dev mode" and personally I'm not touching it at all :) guess Collins wants too!

Messing with Autocalibrate this evening though, modders definatley need to create a decent AIW as from what I've seen (and think you've mentioned before) if that is bad then this plr option wont help matters...might be time to learn AIW editing me thinks and fix some of them for myself :)

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thanks, Mike. I am not going to touch it ;)

You'll come back here amd let us know when Autocalibrate AI Mode="1" is working, though, right? It was useful in rF1 for tracks where the mod dev didn't do their AIW homework.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

read the release notes, autocalibrate is fixed in build 240

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2013
  16. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Is there any particular setting we should tweak to keep the AI from flipping out and stopping when you get within 5 feet or so of them? It basically makes any and all racing a complete and utter pushover, as they basically let you through if you get close. I've basically started to turn it up to 120%, but it's still a joke how slow they go when you get near them, it's ultra easy to pass even though they should be uber fast.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

again that's fully dependent on the AIW of the track your racing on, also the mod too, aggression and talent files...so many variables!

yes the AI are still too tentative in certain situations, side by side with a human especially and they're constant knack of on/Off the brakes!

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

MikeZ, I've been playing with Autocalibrate AI Mode="1" more tonight and amongst other things discovered the Meganes at LRP are too tentative on the curbs and that got me thinking, when this value is set to 1 and they go out "learning" are they governed by any of the rules in place? by that I mean do and of the following affect their learning in any way:
    - talent files
    - real road
    - track temp
    - tire wear
    - etc etc

If so what is the suggested scenario for them to run in? if not then no problem, just a thought.

19. MikeZ

MikeZ Registered

They are governed by whatever rules you've set up. (Whenever I do it, I manually disable tire wear and fuel usage.) The only thing autocalibrate triggers in code is to skip the specific driver loading from the talent (rcd) files ('default' is still loaded because that contains important driving info)...so it should be a 'perfect' example of the particular vehicle AI.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Excellent thanks very much Mike, will have another play today :)