Starting to get really concerned by the lack of official content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TJ_Tas, Jul 4, 2012.

1. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Look at the dry line very closely.

I'm not saying you're wrong btw. It just looks like some spots you're right and some spots the entire line is dry.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We've already shown in early screenshots this, although I think Gjon wants better dirt implementation in terms of racing surface before it gets released to you guys, so it might come after the initial release of 'gold'.

[​IMG]

Regarding the concerns about official content. It's actually interesting to see such concern considering the information (text, and images) which has been given, and with consideration to rFactor1 (which rFactor2 already has half as many vehicles as, most of the rF2 cars being licensed, while most of the rF1 cars were generic).

We've already shown you images (they are above in this thread) of most, not all, of the cars that were licensed before I even started getting licenses for the company, and I've added lots to that.

I think you may be more affected by what other companies are doing, than us. Other companies announce they have a car, announce they are building it, announce they are testing it, announce they released it, etc. So far we've simply released the cars. Just because we haven't shoved every license in your face a hundred times, you shouldn't be assuming the worst.

As I've also said before, we aren't actively marketing this product yet. That means we are not going to announce everything. Eventually, once we want to drive people towards our software, we probably will start to announce licenses, etc. We will start to say "hey, look at the cars we are going to have!" - but it's too early for that at the moment. :)

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yes and no, as depends on what cars/tires you're driving (and how many cars are on the track at the same time), so the racegroove is a nice average effect and it works fine for me.

4. 88mphTim

I think people misunderstand a little. The tires do move water, yes, but have you ever followed a truck? It isn't just the 18 wheels making all that spray, it's the moving air pulling the water from the surface, too.

5. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

but you are not computed the movement of air masses. I understand perfectly that the air is moving too ... But is not chase myzhe on trucks with 18 wheels ... if the road will work properly then it will dry properly .. I am preparing a video for a demonstration on the karts, all genius is simple and low system requirements. I believe in your project and wish that it were great. I want to help, if I can find support

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'd bet a few pence that those "worrying" either forgot about those screens or just based their worry on what RF2 has released so far without even knowing whats in store, would'nt suprise if they forgot or did'nt know about the F2 Partnership either!

Thats whats got me so excited about this game, we dont know half of whats coming too us in the coming months and years, 6months down the line and I'm loving it already....bring on the future!

7. 88mphTim

Maybe I am not understanding. As a truck is a simple example, race cars would actually move even more water off the racing surface, especially modern ones which use the air under the car.

8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

So you're comparing full size cars to karts. Gotcha!

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Wheels do not "consume" water. Wheels are wet aswell and they only move water aside or throw it up in the air - how can that leave two sharp trails?

Next car passing by will not be ideally on the same line and may push some water back where it was before first car passed.

Some of that water will be thrown far enough to never come back but in the end, we see a cumulation of multiple cars passing. All these cars will be taking slightly different line, so smooth, wide drying line is good enough.

And that drying line from Kart Pro you posted looks simply horrible :) I don't think I would ever see something like that in reality unless I park that kart somewhere, take a mop and "manually" dry the track along two smooth lines :)
    It looks more like that line was designed to appear there, regardless of where karts are actually driving, while in rF2 drying line is dynamic and therefore precision is limited.

I find racing line precision in rF2 to be just a proper compromise between quality and system requirements (especially regarding network connection). I wish it would be twice as precise, but even if - it wouldn't affect racing experience much. What we have allready forces us to mind the racing line when we drive and that's the whole point of this technology anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  10. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Remember that if there are multiple vehicles on track that they will all take a slightly different line. Over the course of a full field for a couple laps, the 'dry line' won't just be in the tire tracks of one car, it will be a wider line. I can honestly say that I have never observed a dry line only under the tires of one car's path on a race track before (I've been to my fair share of wet races, too... It always seems to rain on me when I go to Mosport...).

Now, there will be some circumstances where this could happen, yes, but in general I've only ever really been able to notice a wide dry line that's a little wider than the cars themselves on a race track. On public streets I often see a 'dry line' in the common tire tracks, but people tend to be more in-line on the street than on a race track. That's only on the straight roads, too. Once you get to a corner it's all one big dry patch.

I'd actually like it to be a little more precise; I often see weird edges around the drying line. I read though that the visual aspect of it increases in quality with an increased fidelity of the polygons in the road surface; so the more polygons across the width of the track the better it will look, so that's probably just some generous optimization in the ISI tracks.

11. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I do not have time now to download videos ... have the latest screens from the qualification stage of F1 in England (online broadcast quality is bad, but all you need to see) ...
    There is all the reflections on the road, and drying and easy overclocking of water.
    I again just want to call that game to work honestly. Tire contact patch to work properly.

gallery http://postimage.org/gallery/9ty1sf10/

[​IMG]

12. 88mphTim

I saw that too. But I would ask you to find an example where the track surface is older, as I do not believe it would be common, and I do not think it will happen at Silverstone much longer.

13. 88mphTim

You can simulate most types of drying, but the issue is, will it make a difference? No. If you simulate the aggregate found in Silverstone now, and work really hard on matching how it dries, next year it'll be different. We've built a system that simulate the drying process in a way it happens most often, and on most circuits which have an aged surface. I agree, there's a certainly amount of nitpicking feeling about this right now for me. :)

14. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Nit picking? Here? On this forum? Surely not :p

15. tjc

tjc Registered

Delighted to read this Tim.

:)

16. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I have it again)
    produced video. In KartPRO I increased the drying rate of the road from the bus, and the speed of a layer of rubber covering up exactly where you go, on each wheel.

The second video in the future ...

I have all the dirt roads podazreniya that you do exactly as well as traces of rubber on asphalt ... Gauge wheels on the rebound will not change the geometry of surfaces, and also will not be ... Here is an example of how it already exists ... And you will say that not enough resources on this home computer. My answer will suffice, but it depends on your performance. Question - do you want to pursue this or not? All what I said before the release of the beta version, all the way it is, and has a lot of time has passed, and I understand that the changes in regards to work realroad will not do ... All are satisfied ... But from a visual point of view and to work properly, I do not like vooobsche ... make a gauge of the wheels ... instead of a bulldozer with a bucket cleaning the track ...

17. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I already have enough negative feedback to me ... I understand perfectly that this is a beta leash, but I have never received an answer to your question will be whether the track to stay on wet tracks, rubber and so on? ... respect to the soil is generally a big issue ...
    Another question that more cargo system requirements, graphics or physics? Because only trace ISI, I work at medium settings, and issued a third-party tracks running at maximum settings.
    Will you have a joker paws? in rally cross, or Global Rally Cross Country ...

1 person likes this.
  18. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Unless I am mistaken, this is the first time you've actually asked a question in this thread, as opposed to trying to tell ISI how their game should be.

To answer your question: Yes, ISI has already stated that they're working on a way to keep the state of the track from "event" to "event" (i.e. > a race weekend). This has also been requested many many times in the Wish Lists forums as well.

What are joker paws? I'm usually pretty good about figuring out what people who don't speak English very well (whether it's their native tongue or not :) ), but you got me stumped on that one---and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

As far as dirt is concerned: I wouldn't be surprised if that's a year or more down the line. ISI has already mentioned that Oval Racing probably won't be until after 'Gold', and any off-road racing will likely be even further away.

The accumulated dirt effect from MX vs. ATV is cool, but I hope to god that if ISI do it, they don't do it to anywhere near that extreme. Those piles of dirt the truck was kicking up were literally half the height of the truck itself.

19. 88mphTim

I don't personally think you should be receiving negative feedback on these posts, you're being quite polite. I do disagree with your drying track needs, but that doesn't mean they are bad posts.

With your last post, I can't understand, can you write your text in your native language for me? I might have a better chance of understanding, and I do want to understand. :)

20. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Write in my native language, I'm afraid it's not in the rules of this forum.
    Well, I'll try to present all their ideas and questions correctly, a little later ... I currently spend a lot of tests on the tracks of those that I did. Much of the modeling I do not understand, trying to translate and understand a little that ... Sorry, but you understand my speech is bad ... I, too, sometimes your not quite understand.