Starting to get really concerned by the lack of official content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TJ_Tas, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

It's a FORD MAVERICK!

2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Ok, first of all...not being rude here, just honest questions...why are you concerned and why should anyone care? Are you afraid the game will never get shipped? I don't get where this concern is directed... IMO, unless you're invested in the product somehow, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will all come eventually. If you're worried about your $50 or whatever, they've given everyone plenty of opportunities to back out. I'm not saying that's what ISI or myself would like you to do (although I'm sure there's some people out there who would), but if you honestly have concerns--that's what you should do for your own peace of mind.

Anyway, to answer your questions:
    1.) option 3---as far as we know. Yeah, don't count on 6 months for the beta...I'd expect quite a bit more. They're not on anyone's timetable but their own which they're welcome to change at any time. Even if we all whined at once, I honestly believe they would shut down the forums before they rushed anything out (and I don't think they'd do that either...probably just ignore us :) ). So, it's best to put your patience pants on for this one.

2.) There's no definitive list because they're acquiring rights all the time.

3.) I believe they've mentioned they don't plan to do a full season of tracks for any of the events. If you recall back to rF1, there was actually relatively little content from ISI with regards to tracks. Tracks are tough to do. They take a whole hell of a lot of man-hours to do well. Look at most of the track mods for rF1 as well--any of the ones that were released as a full season were typically well below the quality of the best of the one-off tracks (and the ISI).

3. FONismo

FONismo Registered

I'm sure i remember an off road vechicle and track in one the old InsideSimRacing videos

4. Alistair Walker

Alistair Walker Registered

i personally am not worried about the amount of official, rfactor was mainly a great platform for mods and RF2 will be better, we already have some nice cars in WIP and Beta so why worry.

5. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

6. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

Cool. Thanks for the link. I had no idea. I thought this was the website to find this type of info.
    :)

7. coops

coops Banned

i don't think there is i think all conversions will need to be updated a hell of a lot IMHO to use all the new features in RF2.
    (otherwise let me see a str8 conversion which will be up to scratch with ISI or better. )

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

They will add content this year, and the next year, and the year after that, and so on.

You need to remember that the whole ISI team is smaller than for example just the environment team of some of the other companies (ISI's track team is essentially two people, I think?), so there's no way they could pump out content at a huge pace, at least if they want to do anything decent. And they're doing this with their own money and are staying out of debt (unlike many other companies that go deep into the red during development/production) so they can't really up the manpower that easily either.

What's more important though is that they're dedicated to supporting the game for years to come (annual fees are a good incentive to keep a game running), not how much they can get ready before release. I only came to rFactor two years after it'd been out and have since been playing it for 5 years, enjoying it immensely. Something along those lines will most likely happen with rF2.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

umad bro? I wasn't even talking to you.

10. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

The community thing is what concerns me as, with rf1, other than Megane and F1, there didn't seem to be much pickup racing action and so you had to struggle with leagues and translating websites and figuring out how to get mods, etc. and also it seems that much of the action was out of my time zone b/c, for example, much of race department, etc. was folks in egos with different time zones. I am Easter time zone. This is what I believe may send me elsewhere although this would make me sad. Of course being able to just pick up a race has its drawbacks like people just smashing into you, etc. so it will be interesting to see if other models develop like hybrids of iracing safety points etc make it to rfactor and other sims...

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I hope more work is done on the optimisations / software engine / graphic & sound features as oppose to content

As decent modders will provide a load of content no doubts

Maybe just 1 or 2 more tracks from ISI pre-release, but optimisations more important

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The artists don't code the engine. The two tasks don't really affect each other as much as you'd think.

13. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

As usual, all of the OP's questions are answered in a simple sentence from Tim (in another thread):

More content [from ISI] than most racing games..... <-- Kinda says it all right there.

All you need to do is put together all of Tim's posts, read between the lines a little, and he's pretty much answered all the questions people have about the content, development process, etc....

Between this forum, his Twitter feed, and his blog.... Tim has given almost all the the answers ;)

14. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

That's the thing about Tim's posts. They often suggest the direction of an answer but don't give specifics. He would make a great politician. ;)

15. jjcook

jjcook Registered

I have been pleasantly surprised by the liscenced content so far and with what is coming- this is not a sim i was expecting to get alot of liscenced content - i have always viewed rfactor as more of a platform for future additions than a finished product with a complete set of cars- realistically - it is never really finished is it? I mean rfactor 1 is still not finished...in the sense that content is still coming out-

:cool:having the brabham called a brabham is nice!!!!

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Um the beta stage is CLEARLY going to be more than 6 months as thatll be in like a week, and I don't know how anyone could think or get the impression that build 90 is anything close to a complete ready for release game wow. 2. look at that pic that's been posted look at all those cars, who knows they may have even approved some others on top of that. 3. There's going to be many and(lots of those will be very very high quality) mods. 4. In such a complex and intricite sim as rf2 I can play with the same model car on the same track for A LONG time before I can even get tired. The tyre model, overall physics/vehicle dynamics, live track, live weather, etc etc are all soo good and complex and make for such an immersive and fantastic driving experience that it feels much closer to real life than anything else, and in real life I wouldn't get tired of racing my same car on the same track. Let alone the measly 9 or so cars and few tracks (and layouts on top of that) that we have now.

I remember when the GTR1 demo came out a long time ago I was so tuned into it that I played with just the lister on just spa for over a whole month. Knocking half a tenth of here, adjusting a click on the front shocks and looking at the differences in sector times due to the setup change, checking handling differences over short and long runs, different fuel loads, using different lines and driving styles/techniques for different corners, how to maybe change something on the car so that it may not be the optimum in terms of car feel and balance but will allow to to gain time due to riding a bump better or just allowing more sheer grip, etc etc etc (p.s. sadly couldn't get this immersion in GTR2 as it was too simcadey and dumbed down for me)

17. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I got the impression that this is a reaction to my post on page 1 :p (And if it wasn't, then maybe some people ment the same as me).

There are more cars to come, but that doesn't infect the 'golden release'/6 month beta period at all!!! ISI will release 'gold' when they are satisfied with physics/graphics etc. However, this doesn't mean that the 6 months will be made, Tim even said a few days/weeks ago that it isn't likely to be made anymore. But that has nothing to do with the questions/points of the OP ;)

18. blanes

blanes Registered

Well maybe I am more patient in my old age, but I dont really care if beta lasts another year or so, I know it will be a great racer because it already is and it is just getting better with time.

Just, be patient ! :)

19. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

I'm not so old really, but I still agree with you! ;)

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes thats what im saying, I dont understand why people are worried because there are so little cars, obviously the games beta is going to be way more than 6 months and so obviously there are going to be more stock tracks and cars.