Starting to get really concerned by the lack of official content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TJ_Tas, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

So, you're suggesting to use rFactor 2 like rFactor1. That's nice.

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

So what affects realroad grip? Afaik rain, rubber, and marbles. Is there something else what I have missed? What if you have "track" that is regular public road, you drive it once from A to B in normal sunny day. Marbles (little rocks, dust, etc) are the only thing that plays some factor in such scenario.

But rain alone is such a massive feature IMO which makes it interesting to add realroad features to whatever track it is. Rubber and marbles (what is this anyway? chunks of rubber?) are more race track stuff.

Well maybe I should buy a super realistic road driving simulator, too bad rF2 is the only platform having even some degree of useful driving physics.

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Well...this is a very rare condition but this is not enough to say I'm wrong. The 90/99% of contents, for a sim like this, are racing tracks, where the RealRoad is a CORE feature for everyone...so I really miss the point to suggest bad/flat conversions just because you're talking about public roads from A to B...in a sunny day (borest stuff ever!)...:p

4. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

"It's a lazy garbage conversion without any merit. I'm sorry but it's not better than nothing at all."

I'm sorry, but that is almost borderline insulting. Maybe everyone who makes a mod should send it to you first for approval before anything get's released?

If you download a mod you don't like, then delete it. It's not rocket science. ANYBODY that makes a mod, whether it meets your lofty standards or not deserves credit. Everybody has different talents, everyone has different skill levels at making mods. At least these people are doing their best to create new content.

Have you ever thought that people may have never made a mod before, and with sentences like above, they may be put off even bothering to attempt to learn how to? As long as no-one elses work is being stolen, then ANY mod, no matter how big or small, how good or bad, should be given the respect it deserves.

I'm curious as to whether you actually make mods yourself? Do you have any idea how much time or effort can be involved?

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Conversions will be made with poor attempts at RealRoad and the extra guff in RF2, whether they are good or poor conversions is irrelevant.....they WILL happen wither way so I dont know why you're all banging on about it!

6. FONismo

FONismo Registered

I can understand both sides of the coin tbh both Budda and 4LOM. At the end of the day i think we all want only the best for rF2 in terms of content be it official or via modders/modgroups. Personally i think much like Budda tbh BUT at the end of the day not everyone has the resources and or time to really do it. A platform like rF2 is always going to be this way, you will always have better and worse mods.

At the same time i don't think it's right just to pass something off as crap just because it lacks a feature. At the end of the day rF2 is all about choice, we are not forced to install stuff and so if it's not for you well it's not for you.

I tried alot of the earlier mods that were released for rF2 and tbh hated them but that doesn't mean i should just jump on the thread and start dismissing the mod as poor. I just uninstall it and move on.

At the same time with tracks, some have suprised me. I held off installing Botniaring due to how it looked in the videos but was after a track for the Clio and gave a butchers and was quite surprised at how good it looked ( Trees aside )

Assetto Corsa is gonna be the same. You are gonna have a diverse quality in mods, it's just the nature of open modding platforms. rF1 was a mess at first but after a while you begin to know what is worth dloading and what to leave well alone.

7. Johannes Rojola

Well yes I admit that I represent the very small percentage of rF players that always look for something other than what rF is mostly meant for. I agree that sunny conditions is a bore, that's why the rF2 rain is one the most important new feature for me personally.

FONismo, wise words.

8. osella

osella Registered

That's a very sensible post, I know where Buddha is coming from because he already stated multiple times he doesn't care about mods, everything that lacks 1 any feature is automatically useless for him and only ISI content makes sense. So it will be hard to make guys like him happy with user created tracks. But I think he's in minority on this issue.

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

lol way to totally twist my words to fit your own opinion.

I never mentioned tracks. I love add-on tracks. The more, the better. I don't consider them "mods".

Since you've missed my point (perhaps on purpose), I will word it another way:

Let's say I convert a track from Shift to rF2 but leave out the entire pit area. No garages, no pit lane, nothing...

"Shift doesn't have pits stops, so why should the track I convert to rF2 have them? Why do I have to use all the features?"

That ^^ is what I'm talking about. That is useless conversion.

Why convert a track if you aren't going to use the new features? Might as well leave the track in the game it comes from.

If you convert a track to rF2 without "real road" features, you're not really creating anything for rF2.

That's not what I meant and you know it. You are a native English speaker. You know what I meant. Your purposely twisting my meaning to start a fight.

Sorry, not today :)

10. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Sorry, I do not know where to write. Please send the ISI.
    Please change the system RealRoad. Baking textures Racegruve this is nonsense. I learned how to put MapChanel 3, but not the fact that delitanty will pay attention to this layer. The wheels should draw on the asphalt tracks and not the texture. The same goes for tracks in the wet.
    I wish only good project rFactor 2. And I want to help any way I can, but listen to me or who will not or do not want to listen to my opinion.
    View attachment 3085

11. osella

osella Registered

I remember you said somewhere that you think that ISI will be making all the awesome content and mods will be secondary = from that I assumed you were talking about tracks as well.

For the same reason as all the cars and tracks were converted from game A to game B countless times.. because some people prefer certain environment, certain features, even if it lacks some features it can be better for them than it was in original sim.

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

No mate, I love tracks. They are always separated from "mods" in download sections so I don't consider tracks to be "mods".

But you can't compare converting to rF2 with "tracks were converted from game A to game B countless times.."

rF2 is totally different.

People think I'm talking about quality... That I have some high, holy opinion and everything must meet my "standards"...

I'm not talking about the quality of a track. I'm talking about creating something for rF2 using it's features.

I have ALL the user tracks released for rF2. They all use "real road" as far as I know, so they are all good imo.

I would rather have a track that's totally ugly and terrible quality that actually uses rF2 features, than a very beautiful, high quality track that doesn't use any.

13. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

If memory serves Lienz came with rF1 and that had that offroad bit in it.

14. tjc

tjc Registered

Like Nismo I can see both sides of the coin too.

I completely agree with budd though on the point of converting tracks for rf2 without using the realroad technology, it does seem pretty pointless imo. Why have these excellent features available to you and not use them to enhance your (con)version of a certain track?

Pointless imo.

Lets face it... some mods/tracks/cars etc are not done well at all but I take 4L0M`s point that it still takes a lot of pateince and a degree of skill to make these things so some credit must be given.

I just do what Nismo does and if I try a mod etc that`s really no more than a polished turd then I just un-install it and move on, no harm done.

I certainly will not have any mods/cars etc that are illegal or stolen or have been done without permissions as that`s just below the belt BS imo and wrong and is done by people who have very little talent as if they had talent they wouldn`t need to steel etc would they.

Personally I`ll only have mods and cars in my rf2 install that do meet my standards and as far as image quality and good ffb and physics are concerned my standards are very high.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  15. jv27

jv27 Registered

Did you play rFactor1? Anything ISI comes up with is a bonus. The community will drive this game for years. Everything is fine.

16. Johannes Rojola

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

almost looks like the rf2 picture is of a wet track that has recently stopped raining and the racing line is dry from being in use.

Observe here how it should look in dry conditions.

[​IMG]

18. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I think that wasn't what he meant. If you look at his screens, then you see a wet track from kart racing pro as well ;) Main difference being that whit that game you see a dry line where the wheels have been, where as with rF2 screen you see a dry line on the right place, but it's 'shape' doesn't look like the driven line (lol, while trying to make it more clear, I too can't find the exact right words :p )

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Depends on the cars obviously, but at least higher downforce cars that throw up a huge roostertail will dry more than just the parts where tyres hit the road... Any car will achieve up to a point, the effect being strongest in stuff like F1 cars and their ilk.

20. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

This system should be plotted over the surface of the road and not alfakanalom streak. This will simplify the model and removes the need to put a layer of
    RACEGROOVE.DDS 3 channel. The wheels have to dry the track, rather than the entire width of the machine.