Starting to get really concerned by the lack of official content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TJ_Tas, Jul 4, 2012.

1. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I would rather see all scratch-made tracks for rF2. Croft and Dunsfold are so impressive that I can't imagine any converted tracks living up to them.

1 person likes this.
  2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I agree with mclaren777. The only things (imho) we should use from a old track are generic terrains (with new shaders) and buildings. Trees, roads, tirewalls, decals and many other stuff - deserve much more quality than previous contents...:)

3. coops

coops Banned

+ 1 and if not done like this we will get the ****Est str8 conversions which will not give rf2 the justice it deserves

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

really glad you all feel like that.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

you guys do realise there will be conversions though.....whether you like them or not they will happen, some maybe good whilst others maybe complete turd....thats just the way its gonna be!

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Conversions, crap, halfassed, stolen, good, mediocre, great, scratch,... Whatever, works for me. I don't understand opinions about how there should not be something only because it looks like it is made by a monkey. I never had problems of searching through tons of mods/tracks and picking those that interested me. And if they were crap, no problems deleting them from my game.

Let there be everything, it is not that it is away from anything.

7. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

You know this is an interesting point and it would be great if there were also a reliable way to separate the wheat from the chaff as there is an ultimate price to be paid for time wasted downloading poor tracks, etc. For example, we all have limits. Yours may be that 1 track in a hundred must be good to avoid frustration and mine may be 1 in 20. One of the best ways I identify good tracks is demand, for example everyone loves and races Toban because it is amazing so popularity is one good indicator of quality tracks. Of course one problem is that (in some sense) there is not much diversity in what people are racing, i.e. F1 and megane seem to be so much more popular than all others so I can't rely on online activity to identify what a good rallycross track is, for example, or (for obvious reasons, a good hill climb. Now that I think of it, will rF2 be supporting rally type racing so we could do hill climbs one at a time or simultaneously without collision? What a blast that would be. Like Dirt or Richard Burns Rally online fun. That would be amazing! Also, now that I am rambling is ghost functionality in scope for rf2 and is there a single function list that I can find somewhere for example I noticed a rank server beta tester request... Was rank server functionality always planned and what list was that part of...it seems that functionality decisions are somewhat seat of the pants but I hope not as failure to manage scope will undoubtedly result in delays or decreased ultimate scope/quality as resources are stretched too thin, etc. OK I am going to stop rambling now...

8. Tuttle

Sometimes it happens...and it's ok. :)

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Every layout (including reverse) of every stock rfactor fanatsy track is AWESOME in my oppinion, freakin toban long in reverse, essington, the part oval with the infield track, LIENZ, all brilliant, all rfactor fantasy tracks and every iteration of them are so awesome, I also feel that mills felt slightly more harry and on edge/tricky in rf1 than 2, but that's a whole-nother story for a different thread lol ISI thank you for awesome fantasy tracks that feel like real circuits!!!

10. Johannes Rojola

Well the consensus is that some people feel that bad mods should not be made. Mostly because the lessen the image of rF1/2 (really?) or they might make it harder to stumble upon quality mods (well search harder or better). It is quite the same if I'd say that people should not made openwheeler and GT mods because they are boring and I find it hard to find tractor pulling mods because all the open wheelers and GT cars obscure my vision :rolleyes:

Well it is not like that.

About the image of the game, I think there is nothing to worry about. For example, if I search "rfactor" in Youtube. The first page is all about quality mods, or rF standard content. If I rearrange the search results in "rating" order, same thing.

Where does these potential new ISI customers find these halfass mods anyway?

11. Tuttle

I was just pointing to the fact that rFactor 2 have different features than rFactor 1 so if you want to make a conversion, and you want to follow those new features, you've to re-do a lot of stuff; Road mesh, trees, decals, mapping with new shaders etc...

Of course you can just transport a rF1 content into rF2...but honestly I miss the point of this action...If you want to use all the rF2 potential...you CAN'T just convert..

rF2 deserve more quality because have more quality features. That's all.

So, I think you've misunderstood my thought.;)

12. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

That's a good point regarding You Tube as that is a good way to find what people are driving and also racing. If I think about video games (truly games like super Mario brothers, etc.), I never buy a game without consulting IGN, gamespot, etc. It might be cool to have something like that for mods. In effect, we got that with Game Stock Car as it was treated as a standalone game so sim news channels picked it up and reviewed it, etc. And insidesimracing.tv has top sim cars of all time. Also, rfactor central has community ratings and hall of fame mods and tracks. Also, I hear about great mods in forums, etc. so there is help out there. The only thing I can think of is that much good stuff could be forgotten if PR is not there and therefore no leagues, etc. pick up that track or mod which is a shame so maybe that modder quits b/c not enough value to the community whereas you could imagine how much more attention and appreciation would be even more motivating for the good designers. I'm just brainstorming and there are certainly no perfect solutions but if some one with time, web skills, marketing savvy, etc. could help in this area that might be awesome b/c there is much waste and for example if a list of new, popular and highly-rated mods were announced right within rFactor whenI start the program or via a menu option that might be very cool especially if lots of folks jumped in to try it out online especially if coukd get mod right there like with online race Get Mod fewture and especially because new mods and tracks are somewhat equalizers versus many who specialize only in certain mods and tracks and have practiced for months and months and have tweaked setups to perfection and only drive that because they win every time, etc.

So many of these things could help with what I think of as "the Wii effect" ; many free / inexpensive add-ons / games but a sea of garage to sift through also.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
  13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

As far as Im concerned, I didnt see any of this stated in above posts. I understood the comments as usefull guidelines.
    Personally I would welcome conversions as it seems that final mods will take a long time to come.

14. Johannes Rojola

Naah, in rF1 you could make deers running across a road so there already is tons of potential nobody ever used. It is awesome to have features, but it doesn't mean that everybody all the time have to implement these if they see it too much work or what ever reason. I'd take a direct conversion many of the rF1 tracks any day without any of the realroads and spinning trees over the option not having anything.

Sure not in this particular thread, but in rF2 discussion forums in general.

15. Tuttle

You're free to do what you like most. :)

16. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

You are confusing two different things: (a) graphical features in rF1 tracks that nobody used and (b) rF2's new "real road" that actually affects the racing.

If you convert an rF1 track to rF2 without using the "real road" features, then it's a total waste. You haven't created anything for rF2.

If it doesn't have rF2 features, it's not an rF2 track. It's a lazy garbage conversion without any merit. I'm sorry but it's not better than nothing at all.

We aren't talking about deer running onto the track. We are talking about rubber build-up, dying lines, weather affecting track temps, etc, etc...

Why would anyone do a conversion without using the new rF2 features?

17. Johannes Rojola

For the same reason why all the conversions are made. Somebody wants to drive on one particular track. What if its point2point and you drive it only once? Alone? Sunshine?

Realroad is nice, but not always necessary.

18. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

But why convert at all? You can drive that track on rF1.

Again I ask: Why convert if you're not going to use the features? Pointless.

19. Tuttle

Sorry this is totally WRONG!

Actually realroad affect the grip of the car. There are specific car instructions and specific tire coding linking the tire performance with the real road technology...so the thing you're suggesting is pure disinfo.

I respect you're personal taste about how a track looks..but we're talking about technical stuff.

EG: these are some AI instructions which affects the AI performance, lap after lap and it works just with the realroad...

RoadGrooveGripEffect=0.13
    RoadMarbleGripEffect=-0.11
    RoadDampnessGripEffect=-0.11
    RoadWetnessGripEffect=-0.33

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
  20. Johannes Rojola

Yes but if you don't have enabled realroad features you just have uniform grip everywhere, like in rF1. But the driving physics of rF2 is still a lot better than in rF1, that is the main reason you want to convert tracks to rF2.

What?