rFactor2 Build 125 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Yes these HDR effects are super

I seem to be able to only find them in lime rock though

2. MJP

MJP Registered

Lime Rock is the only track I've tried that has them activated atm.

*****disclaimer****

I haven't tried every single track that has been released lol.

3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Yes, it makes world look like if it would be photographed trough very cheap webcam and then toyed with contrast and gamma so that everything looks washed out, water temp numbers become white smudge that can't be read, everything that is white glows like it would be radioactive.

Comparing what I see with my eyes outside does not match to what HDR does at least on my pc at all.

Way overdone effect, imo.

More subtle effect might actually look much better and indeed _realistic_ which current one is not. Maybe cool looking effect but nothing to do with realistic, just bling in how it currently is set or at least how it looks like to be on my machine.

I had plugin in rF1 that added such effect, way overdone by default, took lot of tweaking to be able to make that bloom be in some way realistic level and it was tens of times less than defaults. It should not make white to glow in first place, but reflective surface that are viewed from appropriate angle, wooden fence that is painted white should not glow radioactive, such things just don't happen, but water and low sun, there you can get such effect in reality, but even there often small waves are only ones glowing and even those have fairly sharp edges and fairly controlled angle/area where effect happens.

Now trees and grass, if HDR is turned on, those became different shades of light yellow-green, if you reduce contrast, you can get kind of 'flat' colours, with HDR on, that happens to grass and trees, they are kind of glowing.

Every game out there does same mistakes, is it because they like to have things look cool instead of real or what is reason, I don't know, but I can spot area that certainly needs more work and can't agree at all with Wajdi here :)

VG cats guide for developers is in order again:
    http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=222
    [​IMG]

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

HDR profile tweaking is all about fine tuning. What it makes so hard in rF2 is the constant changing environment.

I made a profile for Lime Rock Park and would like to hear how you like it. I need feedback.

Installation: Unzip the file to "rF2Datafolder\UserData\player\Settings\Trackfolder".
    The name of the profile in settings menu is "LRPclearVer1".

View attachment LIMEROCKPARKcustom.zip

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Thanks!I will give it a try:)

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Me too. :)

7. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

ehehe if you like to make it real, make my AI driving like Grosjean on the first lap, but on all laps lol

Thanks again man.

8. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Excellent, thank-you for sharing. This is the kind of information I'd like to see posted from the ISI guys which will help us get good performance straight off the bat, providing a good base from which we can tweak from. Without this info, we tend to waste hours getting to this point ourselves.

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Tested out your HDR file at LRP and for the most part it was good, but there were a couple of areas where I saw things that detracted from the look. Watching the replay, the gamma appeared to be a little high. I was seeing blooms around people on the side with white T-shirts. There was also some bloom that shouldn't be there on the white parts of the car. In cockpit while racing things appeared to be decent enough. The gauges, what little I saw of them appeared to be ok, no huge bloom on the instrument cluster. The landscape looked good, though a little less brightness and slightly more contrast would make it look better for me.

The big issue that I am sure everyone will run into is that no one has their system gamma set the same and their colors are probably not the same either. This will make it difficult at best to setup an HDR file that will be suitable for everyone. With triple screens I have compromised in some areas to get an average overall color range I like when dealing with Photoshop and such so won't be changing that to make the sim look any better. If ISI puts in some sliders so we can adjust things without having to go into devmode, then it would be best so we can play around until we get what looks best to us.

10. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have set gamma to 2.2 because of photo stuff.

11. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Exactly. :)

Even if we could test this with indentical gamma (and other...) settings, colors and appearance will vary from system to system.

For instance, different monitor brands and models have different color gamut, which will affect final result a lot.

It's very hard (next to impossible) to build HDR profile, which will please everyone.

Cheers!

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to fix some problem areas.

To implement bloom is the hardest part. I like to have bloom on objects that have a strong reflection of sunlight, but some textures (like the white t-shirts) are so bright that they are also effected by bloom. Maybe i can tweak the threshold a bit better.

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Absolutely agree, but I also think that's why it's awesome Joe decided to open HDR up for easy modding.

14. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Will have a play around with the HDR stuff later this week to see what I can come up with. Glad Joe was so inclined to put that out for us :)

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Re.HDR

Is there a simple tutorial somewhere? A simple walk through of amending/creating a simple HDR profile would be handy

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I know there will be. Right now the info is probably scattered in various forum threads, but probably easiest found searching Joe's posts.

17. Tosch

Tosch Registered

18. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Just tried this build and the Skippy feels totally awesome, 100% pure fun!

Thanks ISI ;)

Cheers

19. Richard Chmielewski

Richard Chmielewski Registered

Funny, that is the first thing written in this thread, and it seems most totally ignore it!

I noticed lots of people leaving pit lane by the EMS building, even had folks tell me that is the correct exit!

I know it isn't ISI's fault, but maybe if you place some objects there in a future update, people won't want to cross the paddock in such a way.

20. Twista

Twista Registered

Just make it so we can still get out, it's much faster to get out on track that way when you're crashing all the time ;)