Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

One thing came to my mind, not sure how much thought has been given to that.

Let's imagine there being a person that is not so nice, he creates a mod and includes viruses, malware and who knows what into package, along with mod files.

Then he shares it as rfmod.

Now if it would be a zip, most file sharing services would detect virus in it, but I believe rfmod is something that they can't scan.

Also as I know what should be inside, when I look trough the zip I can see things that I don't want into my machine, where with rfmod it is not possible.

Any thoughts on this?

2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

OK fine.. But me and my friends dont do race leagues. We drive for fun and we drive A LOT of different cars on different tracks.. So adding a minute per mod we want to drive or per track that we haven't decided on is a death sentence.

rF1...

Load rF1..

(Ask over ventrilo)

What cars do you want to drive on?

.. HistorX

What track?

Mackerk 67

Everyone connects
    with Hamachi to my IP to avoid the list and we are driving. We will decide on the next track when we finish. Maybe we feel like taking cobra's to African Raid. Maybe do some backward laps of Laguna Seca in the GMC bus mod. Doesn't matter IT TAKES NO WORK TO CHANGE.

And we will drive 5-6 tracks a night with 2-3 different mods. Now what are we suppose to do? Exit the game, make vmods mods, hand them out and then relaunch every time. No, I don't think so.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

so why not just use the All Cars & Tracks mod then? as that will be perfect for your style of pick up racing, plus you dont need to hand Vmods out...just click the Get Mod button and you're away.

4. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Yes, in the case of ZeosPantera a single Vmod with all the cars and all the tracks you like to have might be a good way to do.

Pre-requisites: you and all your friends need to have the required tracks and cars.

Minus: when a new track (or a new car) is out and you want to add it to your "collection", you have to update the VMod.

Pros: to build a VMod is matter of 1 min or less, and everyone can download and install it via the in-game "Get Mod" option.

ATM we have about 25 tracks, not a big deal to install all of them and, when in future hopefully the available tracks will 10x, or 100x, i guess you will run a collection of them, say about 50 tracks.

Then, when bored of those 50 tracks, 1 more min in order to build a new VMod with some different tracks. :)

The key factors are that to build a VMod is matter of 1 min and the Get Mod option makes possible to download and install it in-game.

5. ethone

ethone Registered

Why is there a need to create a superfluous vmod first? If I say "car A" and "track B", why do I need to create a vmod outside of the sim first, instead of just selecting them in the dedicated server? When that is internalized and automated by rF2 just creating one on the fly, then we're back to the comfort of rF1 with the added mismatch-handling capabilities. On the client side that has been internalized by the "Get Mod" option.

The benefit of the new system is having components packaged up and uniquely identified. That's what makes mismatch-handling easier. The vmod/rfmod bits do not.

For offline an all-tracks option for mods is still sorely needed. All-Cars-All-Tracks is already getting crowded with what little content we have now.

6. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I was talking about the current situation, where All Tracks&Cars mod by ISI is not working in multiplayer.

I am 100% sure ISI will work on further simplification of the system, but atm you have to "waste" 1 min in order to build a VMod. :)

7. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Sorry, I am still having a problem with what the issue is, then. If you don't have any vmods installed, then how could they be causing you problems? Or are your grievances more theoretical, which in that case it will be difficult to help. For me, I have no problems offline and have dozens of vmods installed but I use vmods for online only so how can they cause problems for offline. I believe it would help to promote more constructive discussion if you were to actually use the product under the scenarios that you are complaining about and give us some specific problem examples so that we can help you. No offense, but my perception is that this is more philosophical and kind of general bellyaching that is not productive. I could be wrong so don't get mad. I am just trying to isolate what the true problems are and for that I think using the product would be a prerequisite.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ok you've obviously not read every post I've made and thats perfectly fine, but I have on numerous occasions posted about my grieviences with Vmods/rfMods and Offline use so dont start with the high horse stuff ok!?

I played around with Vmods a lot during the earlier builds to try and understand the whole new modding process, I found problems and posted about them and offered solutions in various threads.
    The reason I dont have any in 118 is because I have (some say finally!) decided to actually do what game is designed for...RACING, I'm currently enjoying actually using the sim for this sole reason and not spending hours faffing about with a system that is being upgraded/extended/whatever.

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I will give my opinion on vmods.
    The good thing about them is that you make sure that the containt is exactly the same for everybody playing the game.
    The bad thing is that you need to have all the referenced components to play with them and that gets complicated.
    To play online the only thing important is that the car and the track are the same. In my opinion everything should rotate around cars and tracks. Sound components makes no sense for me. In my opinion the car has its sounds and the tracks has it sounds (crowd, pitlane, ...)- Talent I guess is a car characteristic or at least you install it when you install a car mod (I don't know what it is for, since I don't create car components). The HUD should be something independent unrelated to cars and tracks. If we create a double component system one for cars and one for tracks everything would be much simpler. In the online game list two rows would appear: the track component/s and car component/s set for the game (the ones loaded when configuring the session). Something would need to be figured out about how to visualize the info. For the track is easy to figure out that the active one would appear as the main one. However if multiple cars are enabled, one of them would appear and to see the rest you would click somehere. I would follow the car/track component with a * to help identifying these less common cases.

One thing I find really confusing, even more than mod problem is the version of component problem. I dont like updates. I prefer having one thing for each thing. In my opinion disk space should not drive any decision about rfactor2. If somebody makes an update is preferrable to have a new component with everything (for example in my case updating rfactor via update gave me problems and I think it is something similar). They would be installed separetely w/o problems. Now this is not possible or at least it gives a lot of problems to me: I can have two versions installed but I only see one when I select the track for example, and I dont see the version of it when selecting it. When somebody wants to play in the same track in two servers with differnet ersions, he would install both components.

I guess I forget to comment something but I my baby is waiting for the bath;)

10. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Sorry but I am still missing something. I sincerely don't understand how vmods are used offline? Is it for championships or something? I normally only do race weekends so I just use all tracks & cars and then select my opponents. Can you give me an example of how you are using vmods offline?

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

F2 comes with just Palm Beach, I want to race the F2 at other tracks but not use All Cars/Tracks so I *have* to create a Vmod to add those tracks in.....thats where the problem lies for offline.
    It would be so much simpler to just allow each single mod to be used at ALL tracks installed instead of the prerequisite ones that come with the mod. This for offline makes obvious sense, using Vmods for Online makes obvious sense, using All Cars/Tracks in its current form is not the answer, and I've posted problems & solutions about that many times before too!

12. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

+1 this is consistent with my experience

13. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Let us all hope that "All cars and All Tracks" isn't going to be as fail as it was in rF1. It already lags severely in rF2 when you select it and when we get 100 tracks and 100 cars we don't all lockup and crash.

I have a question about a vmod with "all cars all tracks". Will that mean someone new can't drive without ALL our cars and ALL our tracks? Again with the combination lock scenario?

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah if you create your own All Cars/Tracks Vmod then they would have to download and install all those Cars/Tracks you list in the Vmod, probably a reason why the ISI All Cars/Tracks does'nt work online (not tried that though so not 100% sure just going by on what others say).

15. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Well, now you are introducing a new scenario. :)

I mean, you did run in a closed enviroment with rF (you talked about Hamachi) and my previous post was based on that.

If you want an open scenario, atm you have to balance the required components (tracks and cars) in order to have the widest chances so that the most of the users can join your server.

Luc wrote, posts ago, and Ethone remarked such possibility, that possibly ISI will implement the "mod built on the fly" feature (just with one track and one car series).

That option might be the simpliest solution for open scenarios (but still is unclear to me if in future will be possible to download/install the missing tracks via VMod/Get Mod) ... if that was possible, the system might be even more simple than in rF. :)

16. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

It is. The ACAT just don't work, if not crashing, huge loading times and unnecessary memory usage. Plus the navigation alone is pain... Series are good way of categorizing stuff and for to only load what you want to load. However, now with rF2. If a series doesn't have track assigned to it, you can't drive it without ACAT.

Imagine having loaded ACAT with 50 car mods, then try to pick the opponents from the list you want to race with... all the multiple classes, makes, cars, brands, types whatnot. Talking about the worst UI experience in computer software history.

Yes, you can make your own personal vmod to have any track to assigned with any series. A horrible user experience. Okay fine, then explain this system to a newbie. Even we have hard times to figure this out.

I am closing my eyes and ears about this whole topic and hope that things get better. I just mod, mainly because in devmode there are no such problems. It works like rF1 :p

17. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Why don't you want to use all cars all tracks?

18. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

It is possible with Abriel's brilliant torrent solution.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

As I've said I've posted numerous times before why it's a pain, go to my profile search my posts and see my threads started for my reasons.

20. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

not true...cheating programs by-pass a vmod easily

its the same as a lock on a door..it only stops an honest thief