Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Wrinkly Man

Wrinkly Man Registered

Im creating this petition because the rFmod packaging system is proving to be a failure and needs to be removed from rFactor2.
    With the release of Putnam Park and not being able to play it online without a new rFmod being made and then everyone needing the exact same rFmod to be able to race online is a total joke when we all have the track already.

please post +1 and/or give a short reply for other reasons as to why the rFmod should go

Thank you

2. schuee

schuee Registered

3. Senna94

Senna94 Registered

it is hard to lern this new packing system but after few mods its easy.

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

+1

Main reason among many is that its pure and simple BLOATWARE...5gb of installations for 2.5gb of mods is ridiculous

5. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Senna, nothing do with the ease of the system. Its to do with the impractical side of things.

Its to stop mismatches, they now happen BEFORE joining and we STILL have to circuate files when we already have the content.

I think the idea is great, but the practical side needs work.

Like I suggested, move the ID system back to car and track. This identifies the individual items for Mismatches. Have the server start up like we did in Rf1 and IT can generate a MODID for all I care...as long as we dont have to distriobute something so we can use items already on our system.

Its doubling up.

6. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

I'm sorry, but I see no problem the way things are done. I don't think it will be that difficult to add Putnam to one of the current mod's all tracks. The whole system makes sense to me, if it will cut down on mismatches and the general chaos that plagued rFactor1.

Alan

7. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

ok think about this scenario then...

4 public servers all running Meganes/Putnam Park...you have the car and track...except each server made it own ModID so you cant join unless you go and find there ModID and install that...so you download them and install...you now have 4 ModID's all for the same thing

2 days later Bathurst comes out and the 4 public rooms add it to there server so they have to create a new ModID...so now you have to go and find the 4 new ModID's to replace the old ones so you can join a room that all have the same cars and tracks you do

in 6 months theres 40 tracks...errrm

not chaos?

8. schuee

schuee Registered

My understanding is (please tell me if im wrong) is if a mod comes along and has lousy sounds,i cant even point them in the right direction of some alternate sounds to use,if i do change the mod its mismatched,silly idea.

9. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

ModId is a great idea BUT it would be MUCH better if ISI can find a way to keep cicuit id's seperate from the car pack id's.
    i.e. 1st the server checks if you have the proper carpack installed, if so, then checks the id of the track being run.

I'm guessing they did it the way it is now to be sure everyone has ALL the server's tracks for switching to a new circuit.

I dunno, I just see this hunting modID's (once there a lot of tracks) as being much more aggravating than mismatches ever were. Tho this is coming from someone that rarely suffered from mismatches nor had any trouble installing/updating mods, tracks or editing files.

10. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

As far as i can tell all the rFMod file is ,is an installer with a predetermined instal path.
    Once you have installed the rFMod file you can delete these files from packages or back them up on another drive as you normally would for future installs.
    This way your game isnt doubleing files,maybe another option for the game is to move these files to a backup drive or file or delete on instal(not recomeded)

11. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

+1 against it
    The list of faults is a long one.
    Adding skins to a mod. Because their in Mas files, To add one car you need download the hole Mas. For one car??

You can't use any car on any track. It must be added to a MODID first. Ok you've got all tracks and cars but that loads all content to memory. My rF crashes now with only the original content.

So many of us will have to rely on others that have the smarts to create MODID's for us. Simple I hear you say. Well anything is easy when you know how.Unfortunately we're not all that lucky.

It seam to me the hole system is designed to revolve around leagues. Even league members like to race on other servers. So for me or you to visit a leagues server as a newbie or even just a one off we first need to sign up to their forum. Join the racing league. Get their MODID package before I can really see if I like their league and decide if you want to stay around or not. League's will find it hard to get new members and more so for new league groups to build theirs up. These league rely on server drop in's to get the word out. With MODID's needed for every or any server your looking at to join drop in's will be a thing of the past. You want go through the task to fine the forum, Sign up, Find and install their MODID just to have a one off race. Those one off are were we all get to know of league's Good, Bad or indifferent!

The list goes on.....

12. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

I don't know, but these scenarios seem to be more of a problem of the creators of the mods than the actual way the mods work within the game. I don't understand why someone with the same cars and tracks would develop a different ModID and not stick with a similar one, so the same cars and tracks are working from the same ID. What would be the purpose of creating a different ID with the same package?

Either I'm not understanding this correctly or else you're imagining scenarios that are highly unlikely.

Alan

13. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Allan.

Its great IF WE ALL HAVE THE SAME ONE.

If they track the content OF EACH MOD and check id's of tracks and cars...and then if a duplicate one is created IT DOES NOT GENERATE A MOD ID.

But at the moment....it can.

So unless I can FIND that modid quickly....I will create my own.

Pretty simple really.

Jim Beams example above is MORE than possible...and very likely....I am STOKED alex released Putnam as a component.....thats how they SHOULD be released, not in a MOD system.

Now people can see the issues with MODID system...give it two days....

14. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Registered

a poll on top of this thread would be good i think.

15. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Before we get TOO involved though, it would be nice for ISI to give us an idea of the direction of this MODID system, I mean if they havnt integrated the whole system, maybe there is something we are not seeing that will be available in the future??

16. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

i see the point where you might be downloading files multiple times but i think this sysytem can be refined to download and update only the nessesary content that you allready have or add only the content the server is running at this time when you try to join.
    You are all assuming that someone will take over your track and or mod, update it and create new id's ,i dont think this will happen.More importantly if 2 tracks are made by 2 people and they name the track file the same will the system recognise this.
    Also the ability to roll back previous versions may be a handy option if this really is an issue,but with this comes more storage.
    This system has its merits if it can work right,it in itself is a beta ,so maybe work with it first and be constructive rather than negative.It just needs refining

17. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

no mate your missing the point....thats what HAS to happen to play it online...a trackmaker has to hope that either a mod maker or someone capable of making ModID picks there tracks to use with a certain car mod...no league/server/public room is free to race what they want, when they want unless they or someone else makes a ModID for it and everyone that wants to join has downloaded that ModId

if you have Putnam Park downloaded go and try and race it online

18. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I would advise to wait until the 1st Update is released before talking about removing something from the platform.
    I myself have found the Mod Manager a little annoying when all related content is in the right spot but still cant locate the files.. Anyways hold it down and wait for ISI to advise us on what they have planned, we shouldnt jump to have something removed IF in the future would have made modding or keeping the Sim in Order a little bit easier.

Im thinking ISI is planning on making it easier to play online in a sense- if someone goes to a server and dosent have the right track they would be be able to download the correct content from the server mod id instaed having to go to 100 different sites....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  19. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

yes i see your point on this and i can see how combining tracks with mods can create a problem.Obviously creating these items seperatly with there own number and then creating the mod and trackpack packages to keep sinlge downloads and updates seperate .Maybe an builder id may be needed to ensure only the creator can update it and updated versions can only be submitted with this number.
    I agree they are trying to put too much maybe in a single file but ultimatly it should refined to get only the nescessary mod ,track or update that you need for that server for that race.
    But without really knowing how it will ultimatly work a petition to dump it now is a bit premmy in my view.
    Let ISI know what doesnt seem to work and let them fix it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  20. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

What we need is a sort of central database. To keep track of all the mods and to prevent duplicates.