Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Like a micro-vMod that only contains one vehicle component and one track component? Yeah, that's what I would suggest to server admins right now. Fingers crossed that micro-vMod creation can be done without user input in the future, during the dedi server loading process. The client would download one file from the server (faster, less overhead), check if it has the active car and track, and either join or display a message. The vMod would then act as a content lock for your server, and a message could point the user to the key he needs (components). No mismatches, no excessive downloading, no extra steps compared to rF1. Pure WIN? As a building block with potential future enhancements in mind, the vMod is pretty much perfect, right :) ?

And yeah, I agree. I would personally avoid a server that forces you to download its entire content library. It only makes sense if the server has planned to run a fixed schedule of X vehicles on Y tracks, and sticks to that schedule, no matter what happens. I'm thinking league championships here. Drivers can then download the entire lot (.rFMod) without having to worry about new tracks during the season. That's simple logic really ...

2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

The issue is.. You run F1's with 5 tracks in the Vmod. People joining now have to have the right version of the cars and the right version of all 5 tracks. The tracks bit is almost like a lock mechanism. If you decide a newer revision of a popular track isn't as good as an older one and never install the newer track you are forcing everyone to downgrade one track in order to play even if you aren't racing on that particular track because it is in the vmod and the whole thing comes together.

So if you vmod with a car and 20 tracks and 3 of them are out of date and 2 the hosting went bad then NOBODY can drive with you even if they have the other 15 tracks that match yours...

This is how I see it. Correct me if I am wrong.

3. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Ok, Luc Van Camp's posts got me a bit confused.

Here's the scenario. Some simiracing community organizes an F1 league. They got the F1_2013_mod, and they got all 20 tracks for the season. So they create a vMod with that mod and all the tracks to represent the whole season. They put it on the server.

I want to start in the first race of the season (say Melbourne) to see if I like the league, do I need to download all the tracks or only Melbourne?

Yep, as a user of this board I'm allowed to click on this rep button and give or take rep points. I think your post are mostly rubbish so I clicked the buttons. Deal with it.

4. PMC

PMC Registered

OMG ! I cant believe this thread is still going.If you cant see by now where this is system is going and its full potential ,well what can i say.

A mod needs atleast one track to race whether its F1 or DTM or V8 Supercars rellavent to the series.Puting one track in a vmod was a simple solution along time ago.

Eventually all components will be available individualy and seperatly downloaded.

Distribution will be streamlined.

And dont believe a simple server admin doesnt understand this.(doesnt have to be a modder)

Also servers are setup in many ways,whether its a series, practice or maybe a quick race.A quick race server may require all tracks running because you dont know what track may be next ect.

Most servers are setup for dedicated people who run there leagues, therefore you would be expected to get the tracks,keeping in mind they would be available seperatly.

Practice servers for an event generally only need 1 track so you would have a vmod with one track for that server.

The Modders and admin seem to have got there heads around it ,its just a matter of refining the delivery.

2 people like this.
  5. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

You are mostly right, but you are wrong in one important point and that is: you don't have to DOWNGRADE a track. You can have all different versions of one track installed (if they include version in install path - most of them do at least for now). So you can race on server that is configured to run the latest and even on the server that is configured to run the previous version of one track.

6. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Ok. So if admin don't want league users to download all the tracks at once. He need's to setup a vMod for Melbourne, then another one for Bahrain and another one for Malaysia and so on. That's stupid.

On the other hand, admin can setup vMod with all the tracks, but if a user wants to drive only in one race he needs to download all the tracks. That's also stupid.

Two cases, both stupid.

If car mod and tracks were separated and checked by server independent from each other, that would solve both this cases. But no, let the system be flawed.

1 person likes this.
  7. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

If they create a vmod that includes all tracks then, yes, you have to download all tracks.
    The solution is simple as PMC has written:
    So the server admin should create a vmod that only includes the first track.

8. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I understand what u are saying but your scenario does not apply to me because under that scenario I will only include the five tracks that I am running during the session ; not all 20.

9. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I agree it is not the best solution YET, but if you have read what Luc has written and if that is indeed planned, then the scenario (one car & one track) will be created automatically and all will be right in the world again! :D

10. LowRider

LowRider Registered

In this case i'm with Diavolo. Why don't make rfmod check to a standard method? So there is no need for this 1 track/1 car vmods. And for leagues and other cases with more cars or/and more tracks let the vmod as an optional use.

11. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

U would have to download all 20 if the admin chose to do it that way.

12. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Ok that's clear, but it is inconvenient. Admin needs to create vMod race after race. You simply can't create the whole season in rF2 because you would be forcing all the drivers to download all the tracks. So you have to create a vmod every race and users will need to get this vmod every race.

If cars and tracks would be separated an admin would put all the tracks and cars to a server and thats it, he has the whole season set up, doesn't need to create dozens of vmods. Drivers would just download tracks on race by race basis without being forced to download it all. Perfect solution for both. Why is it so hard to understand?

13. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

You mention "quick race server" and this reminds me of a driving game I played some time ago where multiplayer allowed people to vote on next track. Is this possible with rf2?

14. PMC

PMC Registered

LOL no ,i'm pretty sure you will be able to get what you need individually regardless.

vmods are only the list of what you need.

15. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Ehh, do you even understand what I'm trying to say/explain. The situation we're in is exactly the way I described it in my previous post.

16. PMC

PMC Registered

Ive seen quick race servers in rF1 where they ran a different track every half hour ,meening you could rotate through a twelve track series in 6 hours,meening if you wanted to run in that server you would need all tracks straight up.LOL if that old game was rF1 ,well ye Kknorpp,not sure of any others

17. PMC

PMC Registered

HA ,1 neg rep ,geez tough room

18. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Automatically for the user, but the admin will still need to create the vmod for the one car-one track. Correct? Either way, the system is working fine for me and my drivers.

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I think the game may have been one of the Codemasters titles. After every race, drivers could vote for what the next track is. Worked very well. If there was a tie, then system just randomly selected one of the tracks voted for. Very nice especially when admin is not present because you could have a quick race server setup for public use and people could race whatever track they wanted.

20. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

LOL, I should probably duck out of here before I get hit. LOL.