Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I would imagine the admin would choose to run a mod that has all tracks (or create a vmod that includes all tracks). For example 20 tracks. And that is all he needs to do. Server would then automatically create a vmod that only includes 1 track (the one that will be currently running). User wants to join the server, presses "get mod" and joins the server.

2. PMC

PMC Registered

HE HE thanx guys,back in the green ;)

2 people like this.
  3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

That would definitely be nice!

4. elbo

elbo Registered

Ok, I won't pretend to have read the whole thread but concretely for me what I see day to day online is that the vmod system means that 'pick up game' servers get set preferentially to whatever the vmod released with a new mod was set to. Example, 9 out of 10 servers playing F2 do so on PBI circuit, not because this circuit is better than other circuits currently available but because it is the track that was in the original vmod released with F2 (same goes for renault F3.5, ect...). This may change with time, I don't know...hopefully it does. I don't understand the benefits of the vmod but I don't mod myself, I'm just a simple user. It may evolve into a good system.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

vMods are designed to stop mismatches, that's the main purpose of them. If the server admin uploads everything then he needs just one vmod if he asks everyone to download everything at the start. If he chooses a race by race scenario then a simple vmod would be needed so that users are sure they have the correct files, it's not massively different from rf1 and if you have the right files it doesn't take any longer....vmods are tiny in size remember.

Vmods don't force you to download everything UNLESS the server admin created the vmod with everything in it, then you'd have too but as already stated that's best suited to leagues not pick up racing.

It's offline where vmods get annoying, there they shouldn't be need at all.

6. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Just curious, how are vmods annoying offline?

7. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

what about having 20 vmods for one car, because one vmod has track x, the other hasn't got x, but got z, another one has both, and another one has neither (and go on like that). I can clearly see it being annoying in this case..... excually, it is the only reason I don't like it really much, allthough I do think it is a step in the right direction.....

In my opinion (as I believe someone else said earlier in this topic) it would be easier for online if the server checks if you have all the required content, instead of having all the content, and also have it packeged together..... So the server would check if all it's selected tracks and car are available, and if it's true, then you can join, if not, then not. It would work almost the same as now for online, but you wouldn't end up with having multiple almost simular vmods for offline.....

8. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Talking about offline:
    Why would you want more than 1 mod for each car? Wouldn't 1 mod for car type (or group) with all tracks be enough?

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Would be easier and "the norm" to load each mod and have all tracks load with that mod instead of having to load All Cars & Tracks everytime.....that whole area (as I've said here there and everywhere!) is a mess and needs sorting out, not everyone races all the time Online so some thought needs to go into the Offline aspect.
    I suppose one good thing about vMods Offline would be the ability to link mods together, but that would still need fundamental changes and fixes to the way the base mod (All Cars & Tracks) currently works.

As above you may want to mix & match mods, something I used to do in rF1 all the time, but then you dont want to load every single mod you've downloaded instead just thos eones, again vMods there could come in handy.

10. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

+1

11. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Regarding offline, can't u filter whether vmods are displayed in series screen?

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

dont know, not got any vmods installed with 118, thats not really the issue here though.

13. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

at the end of the day..if all this packaging bloatware is about avoiding mismatches (it doesnt stop the ability to hack or steal...theres already tools out there for that)...all that had to be done was to have a spot for server admins to write in... "to get contents of this server go to: (admins website goes here)" and a basic tutorial on how to install mods provided at installation of game and on this forum

league/server admins have enough of there "free" time taken up already...this just adds to it...and its not just making vmods (if only it were i could reply like some of the others here)...we now have to make sure that everything is perfect for there members when putting a season together such as sounds,views etc when before we could put basic things in the season and let members put there own favourites into there own game...i now have to make sure everyone is happy before i can release it to the league...adding a substantial amount of extra free time i have to give so that we can race and all enjoy

rFactors motto was "customise,control,connect"...but its certainly not anymore

1 person likes this.
  14. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I disagree.
    If we compare rF1 i would say the motto was:
    "customise,control (a bit), connect (and pray that everything is setup right)"

while in rF2 i would say:
    "customise,control (more, in some scenarios even too much), connect"

I agree admins have now more work but I think the net result is still better than before for end users.

15. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I was league admin back in the time ... i and my fellow co-admins spent hours every week for accidents check and penalities, forum moderation, tracks check, and sometime track fixes, etc etc.

Honestly adding 1 min per week (or per a whole season) in order to build a VMod is nothing, compared to all the time spent in order to run a well managed league!

For admins of public servers, in rF was almost impossible to run pick up races (i tried to reopen my rF instance after months, went in the lobby and left it after a couple of mins, frustrated because was impossible to join any server with some people in) so server admin of public servers might see to rF2 system as a big step in direction of semplification.

16. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

The more i read here, the more i askin myself what kind of guys/girls are played rf1.

In around 7 years i can't barley remember of any missmatch. This extends to all my rf1 playing friends. So where are all this missmatch makers???

Everybody thinks he/she is the it-freak, but nobody is able to copy some folder in another one?

Sorry, can't resist ... but one thing is the same in rf1 as in rf2 -> you need the correct car and track in the proper version. This should'nt be sooo hard. I had never problems to find a wanted track. And installing it was also not that big problem...

But now i must install many more content as i rather want. All this just to join a server and play on 1 or 2 tracks that i allready have installed.

Finally rf1 was more flexible and never ever more complicated as rf2 with all this vmod hullabaloo...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2012
  17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just because mismatches never happened to you doesn't mean they never existed, before our league used a sync program they were quite common especially with 5 versions of the same track.
    Again vmods make things simpler to stop mismatches, if you can't see that then you obviously haven't played around with them enough.

The thing I still don't like about the new rfmod system is everything hidden in mas files, makes hassle when wanting to edit one line in a talent file for example....but again this is something that hopefully ISI are working on.
    In an ideal world you'd have two installs, one for online with vmods and everything packaged up, the other for offline where it's note open than rf1 was!

18. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

I don't deny that missmatches exits. But i deny that some missmatchhes justify vmods. Maybe i have a missmatch in rf1, i go and search(install) the proper content. In rf2 now i get no missmatch, therefore i could'nt join. At the end i must also search and install the proper content. Only difference, in in rf1 i need only 1 and now in rf2 it could be many more proper content i have to search and install, even if i never wanted it.

btw. vmods don't prevent you to make your offline installation flexible and edit what ever you want^^

2 people like this.
  19. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Have you ever tried to extract a mas-file, edit the content, repack the mas-file and copy it back to the mod folder? It will not work because the signature to the file, defined in the manifest of the vmod, won't fit anymore. You have to create a new mod with a new ID.
    It's a nice anti cheat detection.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

But as with rF1 where you can have two versions of the same track and each of those has 3 versions released you still have to make sure you get the right one which does'nt always happen...then you have to rememeber to delete the HAT file! With the Vmods it tells you which one to get which is easier and saves the hassle, its a simpler alternative and one you need to get used to using as its around to stay whether you like it or not.
    No Vmods dont allow offline editing in any shape or form as Tosch says, its all a kerfuffle and immensly frustrating when wanting to edit single files as I have stated a thousand times already.