Pad vs wheel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pluginz, Nov 23, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

^ go tell Speedkiss that he shouldnt use his pad...

2. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

Fully Agree with this!

But i can't see any opposite. because one aspect does not exclude the other. I can learn many things and even so be aware that's just a game ;)

3. tjc

tjc Registered

Your right Knight... it`s all hypothetical indeed. But, just to clarify, I`d have what DD`s suggesting in one sim, then you could drive the hardcore version with those that are driving that and the "normal" version with (for EG) your friend...

Mmm... I suppose we kind of have that already though (in a way) lol...

Oh well. :)

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

No its not, you are right.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If someone is using any analogue controller, then they can drive realistically without flatspotting. There's no way (short of detecting and banning devices) to stop them using them. If they are using a digital control, their tires won't last anyway (as they either are turning 100% or none).

Not that I want to rain on the parade or anything, but those pad users who beat you, could probably beat you with a wheel, too.

6. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Blimey, this is all getting rather technical i must say!!

Thanks for all the constructive criticism here. :)

Its opened my eyes to a world of differences between each player and their gaming surroundings!!

The money issue yup, which I dont have a lot of lol! I would say my setup is on the brink of being a very cheap setup, lower spec like. 5 year old motherboard and chip (Q6600), old graphics card and 5 year old G25 :( But overall the game runs pretty sweet the way ive tweaked it, so i cant really complain!
    I always wanted to upgrade my system though, new mobo and chip, graphics, new wheel, proper 3 screen setup and, I would be 100% certain it would improve my lap times yes? Well not necessarily so then! People seem to exploit whatever setup they have, be it keyboard, pad, wheel. Hey, I bet some racers can even use their feet to race, and they would beat me, hahahah!!!.

Hello Mr Speedster pad dude. The demon behind those amazing lap times with the PS3 pad, nice work I must say. Looks like i need to adjust my outlook on Portugul, some 2 seconds to be gained with wheel, wow, thats gonna be tough for me. :)
    Our setups are certainly very different yes, like me sweating my bollox off sat in my chair trying to beat your mid ohio laptime yesterday hehe. I think mine was 1.20.0 something and you were just faster, amazing stuff!! Did you manage to break into the 1.19s? I had to go and start my dinner lol

Ah the old model car racing. It does give you the edge with the Pad controls for sure. I used to race model cars back in the mid 80's. Through the years I had loads of cars which I raced around the country, Schumacher CAT XLS, then Pro CAT, Kyosho Ultima, Optima MID Turbo SE. It was mini Formula 1 even back then, car setups galore for different tracks, motors, gearing, suspension, diffs. My old Optima Mid even had a graphite chassis, with saddle pack cells in 1987. I could go on for hours and hours about model cars, but i wont! :)

Back to rF2.....So basically I need to improve my game somehow......Maybe take a break for a few weeks? then come back? Na, thats just being negative lol.
    I could be looking at the these lap times in the wrong way. Theres running hotlaps and theres running endurance races. Maybe I should look into the longer stints and see how I fair out, that could be my new direction, as it sorts the men from the boys haha.

Like I said before, thanks for all the opinions. For the on track issue, now its all down to me.

Drive safe :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  7. tjc

tjc Registered

Yip... the money issue comes into play for quite a lot of us I`m sure, me included... keep buying the lottery tickets though, someone`s got to win it. :D

Anyhow, each to their own by all means, if it`s a pad for one and a wheel setup for another then that`s fine... personally I just couldn`t drive rf2 with a pad, it just wouldn`t feel right to me and I suppose in an ideal world I`d like to think I was racing against other wheel users but I guess that`s just not the way it is...

Anyhow, when I did have a pad (when I got my first pc as opposed to a console I bought a Wingman Rumblepad and used it as I just couldn`t afford a wheel as well as the new pc) I thought I was doing ok with it.... until, some years later, I bought the G25 and man! It was like a whole new world opened up to me... all my driving games/sims seemed like they were completely new to me, it was quite something plus I definitely got faster, by quite a considerable margin too.

So in my case, getting a wheel did make me faster and a better driver to boot. The feel one get`s from a wheel cannot be compared to using a pad in any way imo... so therefor, if asked (by anyone) I`d say if you can afford it, get a wheel.

It`ll not only make you faster (even if you are fast with a pad) but it`ll open a whole new world of sim to you.

:)

8. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Cheers tjc bud.
    You have explained my old experiences to a T when I started getting into GT Legends a few years back. Whole new feeling from a logitec MOMO to a G25. Was like WOW factor!!

What Im doing tonight though is a step backwards! Trying rF2 downstairs infront of my TV with a £10 game pad lol. Its a GAMEWARE PC control pad, not the best by any means. Nowhere near the quality of a PS2/3 pad. I used to own a dual usb to PS2 pad converter, it got broken years back and never got around to buying another. Anyways this PC control pads sticks arnt very progressive from neutral to movement. They sort of jump from nothing to about 10% throttle, not good. Ah well, its all i have for now. :)

What Im wondering is these 'rates'?? I can lower the rates and steering lock as much as I can, but its still twitchy as you like on small movement whilst driving. Uncontrollable to be precise :) Is there any other way to calm down the steering rate so I can drive these beasts?

Thanks

9. tjc

tjc Registered

Woa! Down to the TV with a pad... :eek: I wish you luck my friend, lol... :D

On the rates thing, I`m sorry mate I`m not too sure about experimenting with them for pad use I`m afraid. I`m sure someone that knows or uses such a device will chime in with their thoughts though, I hope so, so you can continue your experiment. :)

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

The one weird controller I tried was a joystick with GT Legends, as I had nothing else to use...man it was hard XD

11. tjc

tjc Registered

A joystick!!!

lol... I bet that was an experience. :D

12. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Hey, don't laugh at the joystick ;P LoL I got my start racing motorcycles using a joystick. A wheel just didn't seem appropriate for bikes :)

13. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Hmmm, joystick, thats a good idea!! :D

14. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

You can join our ARI league races, where we race 3x20min races.

We have just finished our classic F3 league and soon we will be starting our classic F2 league.
    Until this moment we've been racing a loop of: one sunday the F3 event and the next sunday a modern F2 event at the same track.

You can get more information at the ARI threads in this forum and at ARI site www.sr4l.com if you want to try and join us.

15. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Thanks Gorgias, :)

I will definetly take a look at that and sign up, yeah!!!

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Our races are set on Sundays at 20:00 GMT in case you are wondering.

17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

You gonna need weeks/months of practise to get used to the pad though Pluginz. Or at least that would be the case for me trying to figure out optimum settings and having to totaly adjust my driving style.

I had G27 issues and it needed to be fixed, as i was in a championship fight i took out my old Wingman wheel and my God what a difference. it was like using a MyFirstSony toy for toddlers, i did try but i could not get used to it (quick enough)
    And then to think i actualy did well with that wheel back in the days....

Getting used to it is the hard part, after that any tool can be sufficient, even a Joystick lol. if you practise enough with it....

I'm not too convinced slick hardware will make that much difference though, if anything added smoothness can give a few tenths here and there but thats all i guess. its like the old days with 56k modems and playing quake, you just addapt to the lag and aim slighty off-center, boom headshot :)

But why are you going for a Pad when you have a wheel though?
    There's a million ways to improve your racing but i'm not sure going from wheel to pad is an effective solution?

I agree that using a pad is maybe best when driving old model cars, even with a wheel i try to steer the car using throttle and breaking out the back, drifting through turns whilst keeping the power on, this is probably the best way when using a pad so it kinda brings the two together.

18. Minibull

Minibull Member

A bit off topic, but pertains to swapping hardware for helping laptimes. For me it was better than faffing around trying every last bit of setup, etc etc.
    Best way I found to pull a bit more time off my laps was to brim the tank, and just drive until it ran out while being in control. Going say 90% of your max pace. Dont lock the tyres, dont slide, just drive and nail the apexes. In GTR2 could mean 2 odd hours, but I was determined to get a better laptime.
    Then on the last lap, I would always just ramp it up a tiny bit, and that would most always be a much quicker lap than I had done before. Because you become so used to the car and the way it is driving at that moment, pushing that last lap was so easy and controllable. From then on, lapping faster and consistently would be much easier. Race pace goes up, qualifying confidence to push goes up too, obviously.
    It's well known info, but yeah :)

And yeah...dont try a joystick...quick movements with the precision pro 2 I had tended to lift it off the desk, which would make me crash.
    The worst was trying to drive an old 911 RSR, taily spinny bastards made worse by a floppy joystick. XD
    And no, the RSR is not a bastard, I love it...

19. nuggetz

nuggetz Registered

I always felt that pad users and aliens just get into the zone and get really good and consistent with controller input and they aren't necessarily good drivers. I could practice and play something really quick on the piano and not know a damn thing about reading music or composition. Hard to explain. don't let the pad users bother you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

20. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

My only input to this would be that a wheel and good pedals is actually faster.

Get the fastest pad guy, and the fastest wheel guy, the fastwest wheel guy will win every time.

I set WR's on xbox 360 version of F1 2010 with a wheel, with a controller i was up to 2 seconds a lap down.