Pad vs wheel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pluginz, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Last night on a public server with the Meganes at Portugul......

Now, I know Im not the quickest of racers on rF2 but to be beaten by a pad user?? I managed a string of 1.39s and still got beaten by the pad dude lolol. I find this quite insulting to my years of sim racing!! Is this a flaw in the game just like SimRaceWay? Thats one of the reasons I stopped playing that game, being beaten by pad users!!!!

Last week I did a 8.10 at Nords with the Eve F1. I feel like that is now a crap time :(

2. PMC

PMC Registered

Firstly it depend on how many aids are allowed to give a pad user some help ,the rates also help but with both ,most wheel users might not take best advantage of his.
    But there are alot of old skool racers out there on pads and hold there own on there own right.
    Dont feel bad

3. tjc

tjc Registered

8:10 is pretty good at Nords I`d have said especially with a big powerful beast like the Eve F1...

:)

4. Minibull

Minibull Member

7:58 at nords with the Eve F1 here with 2 botched corners, but 8:10 is still pretty bloody respectable. Im quite amazed at the pad guy though, that seems pretty insane. I know I wouldn't be able to do it, tiny ass little joystick thing, no feedback, bleh.
    I wonder though, was there any driver aids available? Also, is there any way that you can stop gamepad aids on a server? Ones like the steering "filter" as it were, so that there input isn't all jerky.

5. PMC

PMC Registered

Rate's ^^

'Edit' will allow you to lessen the input, this works for all controllers,

If technollogy allowed people would be racing real cars with controllers ,,,and maybe they will

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  6. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Once you can aply full lock at every curve and still be really quick.... something is wrong out there.

7. PMC

PMC Registered

Frustrating yes ,I would like to see a wheel only option but hey its a game

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

At different times I have raced against wheel, pad and keyboard drivers all who were very quick with no aids running. Some people are just that good with devices other than a wheel.

9. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Thanks for the responses guys,

Yes, the said server was running TC and ABS on low, but the player said he wasnt using any aids and, i believed him! I cant see why he would lie about it. But even with the small amount of aids allowed he is as quick if not quicker than my wheel. This kind of takes away my 12 year sim racing experience and feel with a wheel/wheels

From now on Im gonna play rF2 downstairs on my TV, sat on my sofa, hehe, na only joking!! :cool:

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I have a friend who was much faster than me, me with my g25, him with a pad.
    Eventually he got a wheel and he is now even faster!
    So I dont believe fast pad people have any advantage, they are just fast, thats all.

11. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

All this 'simulation' crap sorta goes out the window though lol

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

well, not really, as to go fast you must understand well racing lines and vehicle dynamics, also not all people can afford a decent ffb wheel.

13. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

It doesn't matter if he beat you with a gamepad. Last time I looked they were none of those in real cars. Think of your race as a series of classes;)...like LeMans.
    You are in another class.

14. Otan beauval

Otan beauval Registered

it's not very surprising...

i'm an old sim driver (full of skill, experience and ever driving with no aids) and i often play with a playstation 2 pad, when you use analogic sticks and when you are used to it, it's very efficient.

it's not because you drive with mouse that you have to be slow, you can go as fast as the others, but you have to be used to it.

with analogic sticks the main advantage is that you can turn the wheel easyly and very fastly from left to right but you can't brake while accelerating.

I do same times with G27 or pad, it's easier with pad but it's nicer with the G27 feedback.

15. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Thanks guys, your all making me feel abit better about myself!! I basically need to get faster with what ive got though!!! :)

I remember the good old Gran Turismo days with my PS1 pad, i thought i was the master hehe, golds in all the tests, but back then I had no one to race against apart from the AI.

Right, Im off for some laps :)

16. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

My doubts come when you use a stick, most probably you'll be aplying full lock at almost every curve. A proper tire should not work good on this conditions, why it actually does it in rFactor2?

17. Minibull

Minibull Member

Which is what I always remember in Gran Turismo...that hideous tyre scrub noise when driving with a controller because of the full lock XD

I'm sure it would start to cook the tyres in RF2 though, which is why I was wondering about the controller aids. Almost like there is a setting to help stop the joystick from scrubbing the tyres around every corner.

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I've raced in leagues that banned gamepads because they are faster. In a sim, being able to go full lock-to-lock in a split second is an advantage. Any other view than cockpit is another advantage. Paddle shifting is an advantage too. You just have to come to some sort of peace as to how much of the arcade stuff you are willing to live with and accept for yourself and don't worry about the next guy. I winning is all that matters to you, then you have to use every advantage offered by the rules of the server you race on. If you want to win on your own terms, wins will come less often but will be that much sweeter.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I have seen a top level V8SC driver hysterical when a gamepadder at Canberra told him.......

( it was full hardcore room )

He did and the gamepadder wiped the floor with him.

lopl

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

lol

Trackmania they do things with gamepads would tear your wheel apart.

CSW would have no hope lol