Pad vs wheel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pluginz, Nov 23, 2012.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Not Elite, not at all .........and as you say you can do that anyway ( turn off all aids )

Someone here thinks that K/b should be banned from the sim altogether........ .. and you call my idea Elite.

There would be no difference what you pay either.

Why should you pay more for a sim has even less features ? ... now that does make no sense to me. :) , no rF2 Pro and rF2 'whatever" would be the same price.

You would be free to buy what you like, buy both ( discount for 2 ) then you can use the PRO one for league so there is no worrying about all these unneeded unwanted unrealistic settings that
    have no bearing on a simulation. ........ and imho it would subconsciously "feel" more real.

Sure I can turn all aids off or on sure .........that is not the same thing as never having them to begin with.

The Other "aids" version you could race with mates that like to use aids or have a keyboard.

PRO version would not have ai either.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  2. tjc

tjc Registered

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

3. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

You guys are getting way too worked up over this.
    Remember, the object of this whole thing is fun while driving a simulation.
    Don't go expecting ISI to cut out a whole share of their customer base by alienating pad users...and or DX9 users in the case of XP (as was suggested by others calling for DX11 only). That's never going to happen.
    We all know somebody who cheated on a test and got an A+. We didn't do it ourselves. We went the honest route. Were they better off. I say: NO. This is no different.

4. PMC

PMC Registered

I think the only issue here is the unrealistic ability's of the k/b or pad.

The game and leagues allready have the ability to restrict aids or even ban the k/b or pad user.

Also as mentioned it will split a community when we need smart people and skilled people to encourage new people through the ranks
    instead of seperation.

Just fix the opposite lock issue ISI and leagues restrict aids and all done

5. PMC

PMC Registered

The evolution of a great sim racer in my view is this.

Step 1,buy the game and utelise what you have to play,k/b or pad.

2, Thinks to ones self ,"Geez this is a great game" .Moves on to a league.

3,League helps player to move up to getting a wheel(maybe just a cheap one) and closer to the full sim experience.As long as its a help full league that share there secrets with the new.

4, said player then realise that his pc needs major upgrades to get the most out of it.By now monetary and time investment is great.

5. Then moves up to A grade and maybe an Admin position with the league.

6.Player then moves on to learn of the pluggins and such to run the league.Therefore learning stuff he may not of thought of innitially when purchasing the game.

7,And finally as interest change, learning to paint and build mods and tracks.

Now i'm not saying this is what all have done, but to me this is the natural progression that i think ISI look at when discussing this stuff.

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The tire flatspotting will discourage pad users. I have yet to see one pad user who did not lock up his tires in every braking zone. In leagues that disallow ABS pad users will eat up tires and any advantage will be nullified. The real problem now is that we can abuse tires all we want, sims don't punish us. rFactor2 (from what I read) is working towards more realistic tire damage/wear and will punish us for not taking care of our tires.

I hope they do.

7. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

so what about mods/series that use aids in real life?...for a quick example traction control on 90s/00s F1 cars...to not use it would be...ermmm arcade

8. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

I love it, how some people insist on that "real" simulation again and again. :rolleyes:

Let's be honest...

...as long as we sit in a motionless chair and let the track past our virtual car instead of the other way around. And as long as we're unable to feel any G-forces etc. ...

...there is nothing left than a nice game!

9. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

I don't think anyone is getting worked up, we're just chewing the fat because lets be honest rF2 is what it is and I cannot see ISI splitting it in two. Durge while you do not see it as a creation of the Elite, that does not mean others wont, human nature will ensure some do. On one hand a group of folk with expensive setups; wheels, triple screens, shifters and rigs. on the other folk with a pad or keyboard. Separated not by skill or ability but by the deepness of their pockets...how is that not a creation of an elite?

Did you miss the fact I said my mate used no aids? so my point that you end up excluding skilled racers based on their controller is valid.

And why should I pay twice to race with him? No it makes no sense and fortunately because it makes no sense it is not going to happen with rF2...Of course they do have a pro version, used by race teams, give em a call I'm sure for a huge amount of money they will sell it to you. Then as you sit there on your own, tell me your not part of an elite few LOL (tongue firmly in cheek there)

PMC spot on mate almost exactly the process I went through myself, as I'm sure did many others.

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Chewing the fat indeed but...

You say this idea would be a creation of the elite, sim racing and PC`ing in general could be termed elitist as people with deeper pockets as you put it will always have "better" rigs and driving setups than someone who`s not got quite so much to spend...

You don`t need two versions of a sim to start making things elitist imo, it already is.

Nothing wrong with DD`s idea imo... if it was to happen one would be bought over the other and that`s a fact and hell... those with plenty cash lying around would probably buy both although I do think there`s no real need for two individual sims, if it ever was to happen it could all be done in one sim.

Never will happen though for all the reasons others have mentioned but I really don`t think it`s as bad an idea as you seem to think it is.

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

I remember seeing a competition quite a few years ago. The prize was a G25 wheel, for setting a hotlap round some track (can't remember). I do remember all the hardcore sim aliens with the fancy setups dominating though, eventually winning a wheel that was inferior to what they had. Suppose it would be a nice present for someone they know though XD

12. MJP

MJP Registered

You mean it wasn't won by some guy using a pad and autogears/clutch etc. because *everyone* knows this is the fastest way :rolleyes:

13. Knight of Redemption

I don't agree, sim racing can be done on an average computer, single monitor and a pad, and people using this can race as well as and sometimes better than folk with full rigs, Money does not equal skill. This should never in my opinion change...But like I say is is only an opinion and like arseholes we all have one :)

Now the Aliens among us are a different thing, yeah, that is an skill elite. A totally different thing.

14. Minibull

Minibull Member

Nope hahahaha. There was a terrific amount of engine braking being used though...going down the gear like a F1 driver...except it was a GT car XD

He made sure he was locking all his tyres under brakes though...clearly the quickest way to stop...:cool:

15. tjc

tjc Registered

My post was`nt intended to mean that having the cash to buy a nice rig (PC and driving) meant you were a better driver. Simply that having the cash to buy such a set up makes it elitist imo... I never said that money equals skill....

I also don`t really agree that sim racing can be done on an average pc, well not done the way I personally like to do it anyway... all bells and whistles on, graphics maxed, smooth fps etc etc takes a bit more than an average pc imo.

16. Knight of Redemption

How you do it is not my point, nor how I do it...just like you ;) But we cannot all do that, and it can be done cheaply. As we do agree money, or great rigs does not equal skill, by excluding these entry systems, we would create a two tier system based on equipment not skill.

17. tjc

tjc Registered

Nobody is being excluded (if we`re still going by DD`s eg) as there would the "normal" version and the "Pro" version with DD`s way of doing things so everyone is catered for. I`d have all that in one sim not two though...

Plus it`s a bit of a two tier system as it stands imo so no change there either then... ;)

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

thats one way of seeing this.
    The opposite is, I learned so many things I didnt have a clue about and wouldnt have a chance in experiencing them first hand, by playing these games called simulators, be them racing or flying

19. Knight of Redemption

No By DD's method I would have to buy two identical from my point of view games in order to race with the one friend who does not have a wheel, as would all the others I race with...Ah, it's all hypothetical anyway :)

20. Speedkiss

Speedkiss Registered

hello all,

je suis sur que Pluginz parle de moi !
    tes 1.39 sur le circuit du portugal en megane son moyen perso je tourne en 1.37.5
    J'ai vu d'autres pilotes descendre sous les 1.37 avec un volant et setup d'origine

Alors pour info OUI j'utilise la manette de PS3 avec les sticks analogiques
    rFactor 2 sans aide sauf ABS lvl 1
    Mais j'ai passé énormément de temps a régler les paramètres du jeu pour pouvoir avoir un bon ressenti a la manette !
    je travail mes setups pour chaque serveur et je le remodifie plusieurs fois en fonction de l'adhérence
    J'utilisais rFactor 1 depuis 2005 déjà a la manette !
    Mais surtout cette manette je la connais depuis la sortie de la playstation 1 ... 20 ans ! 4700 courses sur Gran Turismo 1, plus de 5000 sur le 2, et 3000 sur le 3 sans compter les soirées multi console que j'organisais

certains sont très rapide avec le setup d'origine ! moi je les trouve pourri ! pourtant je ne viens pas pleurer ici pour qu'ils soient modifier

Ha j'ai 42 ans et j'ai fais du karting régulièrement et de la voiture radio commandé durant 3 ans dans une Team en tant que régleur chassis ...

Je tourne aussi vite au volant qu'a la manette mais le PC que j'utilise pour "JOUER" est aussi mon PC de travail a domicile donc je n'ai pas installé mon volant dessus

Au plaisir

----
    GOOGLE Traduction

I'm sure Pluginz about me!
    1.39 on your circuit in Portugal megane his personal way I turn 1.37.5
    I saw other drivers go under 1.37 with a steering wheel and original setup

So YES for info I use the PS3 joypad with analog sticks
    rFactor 2 without assistance except ABS lvl 1
    But I spent a lot of time adjusting the settings of the game to have a good feel to the joypad!
    I work my setups for each server and I amended again several times depending on the adhesion
    I used rFactor 1 since 2005 already has the joypad!
    But above all this I know joypad since the release of the Playstation 1 ... 20 years! 4700 Races Gran Turismo 1, 5000 over the 2, and 3000 on 3 evenings besides multi console I organized

some are very fast with the original setup! I find them rotten! Yet I do not come here to cry they are changing

Ha I'm 42 and I'm regularly karting and car radio controlled for 3 years in a Team as a setter chassis ...

I turn the wheel as fast has the joypad but the PC I use to "PLAY" is my work PC at home so I have not installed my flying above

the pleasure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012