New build...

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by tjc, Apr 27, 2014.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah that is a good point he makes too tj.

Like your motherboard is Rev 2.0

From early results I start to see Z97 baseline performance is the same.

Like I said with extreme ram, OC, dual cards , SSD Raid and the newer processor it would be worth swapping mobos.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

get your other PC up, download the Motherboard manual to it so you can keep it up ( and ISI p ) while building.

Also Corsair H100i manual is better blown up in Foxit

Remember what I said about Corsair make sure that plastic safety cover on the pump does not come off before fitting.

And 4770K is ZERO INSERTION SOCKET ..NOT AMD PINS ............Place on DO NOT push !

lopl ...............just making sure. :)

3. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Ah the joy of building a new PC. I've just updated mine too a week ago. My duel core E8400 just was not cutting it no more. Unlike your's where you bought all expensive parts, mine is more of a budget pc. I went with the i5 4670K CPU. Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Motherboard + 8gig DDR3. Still using old case, harddrives and GTX760-OC from old computer. I got a cheap 240gig SSD too for £79.50. I saved lots of money by shopping around for the bits. Just like you had everything delivered from everywhere else, but was was still waiting on stuff from Amazon, they were so slow.

It's not for the faint hearted PC building :D. You finish putting it together, plug it in, finger paused over the on button, thinking god I hope this works, press it and nothing happens. That was me 5 years ago, but that was just because I just forgot to switch the switch at the back of the PSU, durr :D. 30 seconds of panic :D.

I did loads of research before hand for new build. Think I watched like an hour of Youtube vids of people applying thermal compound paste to the CPU, some were laughable. Reading lots of arguments what is the best way lol. Think I did alright myself.

Good luck with your build tjc.

DJC

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Too true DJ :)

Method is the key, I think I gave tj a pretty good grounding in that, download all manuals, study motherboard
    pin placements , test fit everything , etc etc

tj's current PC was his first build which he has also upgraded motherboard / processor.

There is lots new for him this time though to learn.

Intel , Corsair cooling, fitting new CPU mount , cabling........then there is bios settings etc. have come a long way since.

lopl ...worried him now p

Nah I reckon he will ace it.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Checklist #1

lopl

Good Table, solid , heaps of room.
    Good table light and penlight
    Good Phillips screwdriver long reach, hardened head

Plastic containers for screws and stuff

Anti-static mat, shoes and clothes.

Recommended: Power Board with Surge Control

Not Personal Recommendation: Anti-Static strap .........never liked them myself.........and don't answer the phone in a hurry and tear the case off the table if you do.
    Oh dearie me, touch wood ....... p

Same old tj :p

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
  6. tjc

tjc Registered

K... I`m good for staying on here (ISI) and having manuals etc up D as got old pc and lappy too... sorted.

:cool:

7. tjc

tjc Registered

Haha... you know what... I did the same thing but it wasn`t on my first build or upgrade, it was when I took the pc apart to clean it.

Took everything out, cleaned everything, put everything back in... closed the case... plugged in... switched on and...

Nothing! lol... forgot to switch the switch on the PSU too... :D

You should have seen/read the old thread at Dragon Racing Forums DJC... epic!

Cheers man. :)

8. tjc

tjc Registered

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:cool:

9. tjc

tjc Registered

Good table - Check.

Solid - Check.

Heaps of room - Mmm... kind of.

Good screwdriver etc - Check.

Plastic containers - Check.

Anti static mat - Nope... Shoes and clothes - yeh well I have shoes and clothes on if that`s what you mean, don`t usually build my pc`s in the buff lol :D

:p

Not got an anti-static strap so won`t be taking case with me if I rush off anywhere haha...

K... going to read manuals again. Then will unpack parts etc and have a check about.

This baby is going to be built although I do have another couple of things to do today and got a gig later tonight so might not get things finished off till tomorrow...

:)

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Just take your time pre-fit psu , check cabling and routing behind motherboard Especially check 8 pin power plug length

Be careful putting cabling through the rubber cutouts, they are not that strong if you rough p

First thing is to remove stock CPU mount from motherboard ( 4 phillips to remove stock mount put together put in motherboard box safe )

Fit Corsair Mount

Prefit mobo ( do stands ) but leave safety cover on CPU mount for now.

Remove middle drive bay
    Fit hardrive and DVD
    Fit radiator and fans ( leave plastic cover on pump ) hang pipes over edge of case so pump can sit on a box beside tower or something
    Fit motherboard

Remove mobo cpu cover
    Fit processor
    Fit Pump ( line the 4 posts up, gently lower on even, hold pump in place one hand, tighten thumbscrews up. )

Fit Ram
    Fit video card

Stand case up

Fit PSU
    Do cabling

11. tjc

tjc Registered

I`m on it... :)

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

p

Further on Corsair.

If you read manual should say to orientate fans blowing into case not exhaust.

This may sound strange but makes sense, like would you drag hot air from under bonnet into car radiator. :)

The fans should have direction arrows on them ( actually a few Hydro I have installed never had arrows on fans ) ........... you want the arrows pointing into case.

Test mount so you can check the way the pipes and pump bend and find the best way to line it up.

You can gently bend the outlets on the pump to angle the pipes right direction ie: can reduce tension.

What I do usually is with case laying on side, put something thick/soft where motherboard goes for the pump to rest on while you fit radiator bolts with 2 hands

Then as I said before lift the pump and hoses outside case and rest on something high beside case so pump dont get banged while you install motherboard and Cpu ....then do the pump very next thing

You will have a little side force from hoses when you mount pump, just hold it steady and lower on even and tighten even.

13. tjc

tjc Registered

Ok... sorry man, been delayed... women!!!

Anyway, so I take off the stock cpu mount altogether? There are not 4 phillips there mate there are 3 star heads, now I`ll have to find a star head bit haha... this will also remove the stock back plate yes?

Seems funny taking this stuff off, never done that before...

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

No no doh

sorry tj I was daydreaming no mount to remove.................was thinking of your AMD ...doh.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

My luck I refreshed for hours then went and had something to eat you post.

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Eh!

Oh...

You been on the gin mate... haha.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Tell me you never removed it .

Yeah lol but I said that days ago remove the cpu mount ( which is really amd cooler mount )

ffs

soz

18. tjc

tjc Registered

No worries. :)

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Give me updates here pls mate.

Leave cabling till later it is cool

After PSU , remove middle drivebay, fit DVD and hardrive

give you 10 minutes

lopl