New build...

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by tjc, Apr 27, 2014.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

I started a thread here about a new build I`m planning for sim racing/gaming and 3d modelling.

I thought I`d start one to go on from that in here...

Here`s my build list. Parts will be sent for in a day or so.

Card:

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 780 Windforce 3x OC 3072MB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card

CPU:

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail

RAM:

Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit

Motherboard:

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Series Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX

PSU:

Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Fully Modular Power Supply

Cooling:

Corsair Hydro H100i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Case:

Thermaltake Urban S31 Case With Window

DVD:

LG GH24NSB0.AUAA 24x Internal DVD Rewriter - Black

Really looking forward to building it and having a good rig for rf2/modelling etc...

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
  2. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Price?

3. tjc

tjc Registered

Just over a grand...

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
  4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

[​IMG]

lopl

Can't fault that any which way............................jealous !!^%&$#@#!!

:p

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Id get a 780ti instead of a non-ti. It makes a noticeable difference.

Also, because it is easy to become heat-limited with Haswell, rather than voltage limited, I would get the Swiftech H320 cooler. Pretty much the best all-in-one water cooler on the market, by far. Much better than the corsair h100/h100i/h110.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I agree both points if tj drove a Porsche. lol

I knew the Ti was above his 1000 budget so I forgot that.
    If he said he was contemplating 3 screens I would have advised it.

Awesome cooler the H320 but 40-50% dearer then the H100i.
    Most places tested the 320 rate the H100i very highly.
    I think H100 is 5 years warranty the 320 is 3 years.

But if he was throwing more money at it for sure, I have no problem with your choices mate.

tj I sorry I really made a blue :(
    You may notice.....I have only just this morning on my sites and OCUK MSi has released their Z97 Gaming boards.
    They were not on either on weekend. doh

http://au.msi.com/product/mb/Z97_GAMING_3.html#overview

http://hexus.net/tech/features/mainboard/69513-intel-launches-high-end-z97-chipset/

Like recommended above unless you get the Z87 at a sale price or if you are buying a higher end board/build you would be better waiting.

However if you have a look at advantages of Z97 they really do not apply to you per-say.
    If you were running raid SSD or dual graphics , faster ram, higher overclocking then yes.

ie: I know you will not be considering upgrading this build for 3 years or more so imho it is not issue.

You will get same perfomance with the same 4770K - 1600MHz ram - single card and even fastest single SSD in 5 years no matter what chipset.

In hindsight if I thought about it I would have told you to wait, tell the truth it never crossed my mind, doh :(

I guess if you have not opened and send straight back you may be able to exchange, seems the models are a few dollars dearer.

Personally, honestly I would not bother,

Soz

DD

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes there is a decent price difference between ti and non-ti. A non-ti is still great and will save you a good chunk of money, but honestly I would rethink the H320, it is an insane performer.

Ive seen people with over 11 degree Celcius differences between the H320 and the corsair h1xx, loaded and overclocked/overvolted of course. That's just insane. It's custom water cooling type of performance. One of my favorite products in the entire PC scene.

Percentage wise, yes the H320 costs around 50% more (around $150 instead of around $100), but in the "real-world", regardless of percentages, will $50 really affect you? Only you know the answer to that obviously.

If it was a cooler chip that used soldering between the chip and die like Sandy Bridge, Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge-E, and presumably Haswell-E do, and therefore didn't run so hot, then I would say that there's not much need to go for the h320 for most people, but because Ivy Bridge (non-e) and Haswell (non-e) run so much hotter, I would personally go for it.

It really sucks when your chip is capable of overclocking more but you become heat-limited, especially when you are still in the safe zone of voltage but can't add more because of heat limitations.

The 5 year warranty of the corsair is really nice though, no doubt. 3 years is good, but 5 years is definitely excellent.

The above quote is from http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/98975-swiftech-h320/

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Well... the first thing to say is it`s all here, sitting in front of me, apart from the mobo, so it`s really a bit late to be changing things I think...

@ Spinelli

I appreciate the input but there`s no way I could afford the parts you suggested. The Ti`s are out of my price range and so is spending more on the cooler. I was stretching to get what I did but thanks for posting...

Ok... now I`m worried...

:p

I can always contact Amazon (I got the Z87 there for the lowest price) and see what they say about changing it but I think it`s going to be more hassle than it`s worth tbh.

Yeh, if I`d known about the imminent release of the Z97 I may have got one as they are on offer etc but I didn`t know so therefore I surely wasn`t meant to have one.

I`ll check with Amazon but I reckon the Z87 will be going in the build...

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well tj I let others give thoughts, it was simply a dumb mistake by me.

Could not have come out on sites even a few days earlier, I never took much notice of release dates.

Anyway my take is OCUK ( not sure about Amazon ) says 15th of May for 20% discount.

However on Msi site it says the 30th May.

If it is the 30th of May this gives you more then enough time to return the mobo unopened break no seals.

The 20% saving plus the cost to you to post back you should still come out in front.

On the other hand why I do not see it as a big deal for you personally or me for that fact is you or I not doing any of the following as far as I know:

1. Upgrading Processor
    2. Extreme overclocking
    3. Upgrading to faster memory
    4. Dual Cards
    5. SSD Raid

If that is the case you will not miss out on anything other then the Model# and cosmetic changes.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

BTW tj don't worry about the "Simply Run Hot " bit by me......... lool , that is why you have good cooling. ;)

Overclocking personally I do think think you will need it.

Me I would set up a fixed clock rate, stock voltages and override turbo and all management.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
  13. tjc

tjc Registered

I`ve checked at Amazon and unopened items may be sent back...

"Frequently Asked Questions

What can I return?

You may return most new, unopened items sold and fulfilled by Amazon.co.uk within 30 days of delivery for a full refund.

When will I get my refund?

Usually in about 2-3 weeks. Most refunds are fully refunded in 3-5 days after we receive and process your return.

Does Amazon offer replacements or exchanges?

Yes, we do. If you received a damaged or defective item, we’ll send you a replacement of the same item. If you’d like to exchange an item for something else, you can exchange for a different size or colour or for an item in your Basket."

So I`ll see, it will really depend on how much it`ll cost to send back to them. If it works out ok I`ll consider exchanging the mobo...

14. tjc

tjc Registered

The Z87 just arrived...

15. tjc

tjc Registered

That means all the parts are now here...

Mmm...

:)

16. MonSum

MonSum Member

Excuse my interrupting, but some weeks ago I build a new PC with a z87 (and SLI) and it runs really well :) - sometimes some "newer" boards can have initial bugs (I allready had them some years ago) and later updates repaire them. But "older" boards are normaly a bit more solid...

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

No boxes open yet ? p

Me personally I would build it as is tj,

If you do wait make sure you can receive that MSi 20% rebate up to the 30th beforehand.

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Thanks for your input MonSum, good to know the board works well for you. :)

19. tjc

tjc Registered

Nope, no boxes open... :p

I`m going to decide over night tonight mate and see what I want to do.

I am seriously thinking of just using the Z87 and building in the morning.

:cool:

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Be nice if a few others could reply.

Really no new features on Z97 you going to miss out on with your current setup configuration.

Off course take into account they are talking from a upgrade standpoint.

Best gains would interest me is Less CPU Heat .........though you would have to wait for the new Processor as well.

I would build it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014