New build...

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by tjc, Apr 27, 2014.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

I`ll tell you tomorrow... :p

2. tjc

tjc Registered

3. tjc

tjc Registered

Perfectly... :cool:

High fps, maxed in sim settings (not touched any others yet) and as smooth as silk... :cool:

Really happy. :)

I`ll provide more detailed info later... fps/temps etc etc...

4. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Well done tjc, happy it's all up and running.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

6. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Nice!
    Congrats.
    I wouldn't overclock it if it's running smooth and with high framerates.
    I'd probably wait at least until something comes along to cause it to 'struggle' before doing it.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh I`m going to leave the OC`ing for a while and test this baby out at stock... :)

9. tjc

tjc Registered

Did another WEI test...

Base Score: 5.9

---

Processor: 7.8

RAM: 7.8

Graphics: 7.9

Gaming Graphics: 7.9

Primary HDD: 5.9

I think this is a notch up on last time? Can`t really remember... :p

Will do another 3d mark too. :)

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

WEI trst isn't too indicative. For a full PC speed review use ASUS Realbench (I think current version is 2.xx (it's also one of the best programs to check your PC for stability in a true to life scenario). Also PC Mark 8.

ASUS Realbench - http://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/
    PC Mark 8 - http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/pcmark8
    Geekbench - http://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/
    Passmark PerformanceTest - http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm (says only 30 day trial but it's not, I've been using free Passmark PT for years)

Now start testing that beast ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
  11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

He knows that mate who you think taught him all these years. Fairies ? lol ;)

No matter

1. you still have to run it anyway

2. you can see if something is a miss ....

ie :

A well block written SSD will show a lower score and you do not need to run a single bench to know that.

Stability you need nothing more then to run LOOPS of 3DMArk........................ if it gets through any 3D will.

The best compares are 3DMark and PCMark because they have the largest databases to compare hardware.......full stop.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Other than ASUS Realbench (which is getting extremely high praise as a stability benchmark/test due to the way it works), those tests I mentioned above aren't good for stability tests, but they are great for overall system performance benchmarking.WEI scores are terrible, I mean theres probably 15 different CPUs out that all give the same, or almost the same score on WEI.

No way :) . In terms of stability, 3D Mark is good but I've seen, first-hand, PCs that ran 3D Mark perfect for 7 or 8 straight hours but then couldn't run Battlefield MP for more than 20 minutes. I myself had times where I ran 3D Mark perfect for hours but then couldn't get through the Metro 2033 Benchmark :) . There is not a single benchmark that will guarantee stability.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
  13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Serious loops of any 3dmark then a game fails.

Must have been a particular issue based on hardware settings driver combos , voltages heat , bug ......... you could blame anything but 3DMark.

Answer me this have you ever had a 3DMark fail to run ?

Well if you have you most certainly know you have SERIOUS PROBLEMS ! :)

If you can run baseline performance for your specs and in loops then no game is going to crash your PC through a stability issue.

I can't vouch for any other issue a particular game and hardware driver combo may have.

Personally in my 15 years using 3dmark I have found it a one stop shop for gaming stability, never need anything else.

BTW Google ..... bf4 crashes in MP ???

It is apparent to me from a brief scan on the first page of results that there is obviously a problem with the game , nothing to do with 3Dmarks validity. ;)

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Then on the flipside you have extreme pro overclockers like Kingpin and others can crash 3DMark consistently and within a hair of its life....... you see the point ?

The fact that 3DMark is so sensitive allows realtime clock bus pcie ram voltages latency and other changes for the absolute combination for the given hardware and setup. You can't do that in Unigine or BF4 .

Most overclockers don't even understand how to use it to its full potential.

Last Say :p

Stable machine that can loop 3DMark a hour is highly unlikely you will have any stability issues .............which do not pertain to situations arising from other software and hardware driver OS (whatever) combinations........naturally.

Yes I could say the same about many game tests I guess, but they don't have Mad Onion's database or look anywhere near as pretty. lopl ;)

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Just do a few different ones when you get final OS done just single runs for marks.

Since you have not even mentioned a single crash I am guessing its pretty stable anyways........ lopl

Do all tests 3/5 times see how much variation in results there is, less then 0.5% is good.

As a example a power drain, or short may result in more fluctuation in results, etc.

I can't get a handle on where a stock 4770K and GTX780 should be in the benches though best way is to register use the new 3dmark then you can get a list will show your weight you be way way down the list you looking for people run stock.

From those you can quickly gain a good idea if you are running decent baseline.

After that ( I already said this ) find someone with same specs on ISI and match series track and settings with someone helpful, I don't think that will give anywhere near the closeness of 3dmark vs same hardware but obviously would be nice to have a ballapark idea. :)

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Durge, you said if you can pass loops of 3dmark then you can pass anything, and all I'm saying is that is not true at all. Some setups will be 100% stable in 3dmark and still have stability issues in other games/benchmarks.

Now, if you are just talking about a completely stock PC and you just want to make sure everything is running good after, for example, setting it up for the first time, then I completely agree with you :) , and I therefore misunderstood - if you can pass some loops of 3dmark you can be just about 100% sure your PC is all ok. However, I was talking about using 3dmark to test your overclocks once you start pushing your PC. An overclock that runs stable in 3D mark doesn't necessarily mean it's a stable overclock as I have seen and experienced on multiple occasions.

P.S. Battlefield crashing in multiplayer was BF3, not 4, and it was purely down to an unstable overclock.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yep that is what I meant mate.

3DMark is excellent for new builds you can run as burn-in , stability and performance baseline compared to identical CPU/GPU combos in one hit.

rF2 you would run that replay test from thread and look for 4770K-GTX780 combos.

Put it this way....

If my Sims ran 100% and 3DMark crashed I would be looking at Bios, hardware about stability.

If my 3DMark ran 100% and a sim crashed I would be looking at OS , tweaks, drivers, etc.

Did you do the recommended Tune-Up RAM tweak, you should be getting 7.9. lopl ;)

Yeah 3DMark2006 is a bust with these cards and drivers mate, I actually have higher scores with my GTX570 SOC then GTX670 OC

Run latest demo do some direct compares with 4770K - GTX780 ( 1 GPU ) scroll around and find some results running at default clocks.............. way down the list.

Anyways beside that what is it running like, how many sims and games have you tired ?

Anything "wierd" happening ?

Did you try the rF2 replay test, there is a few 4770K-GTX780 owners in there ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What's this RAM tune-up tweak you're referring to, Durge?

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19607-New-build?p=276152&viewfull=1#post276152

If I set the memory one there to 'recommended" I get 7.9 in WEI , set default I get 7.8.

"Worn" Corsair 3 SSD with fresh OS I get 7.6

Run parted magic / zero write it gets 7.9 again. ( .......well for now it does ;) )

IE: ONE DAY when I do a parted magic and fresh OS and it will only go from say 7.6 to 7.8 ...........I then know it is on its downward run ( losing baseline performance )

You double check in ATTO will confirm it.

So WEI is good for something :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

BUMP

......and where are those piccies lopl ;)

I be back with some pics of my own, just doing a upgrade now, you be surprised what I most like about the build, bit of a departure for me.

So get back .........you have to show first !

loool p

;)