Is Real Road really fake Road

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WheelNut, Aug 14, 2012.

1. WheelNut

WheelNut Banned

Is Real Road really fake Road it would seem that the rubbering in and drying line effect are actually a predetermined line as its spline mapped when building a track
    or does the rubbering in appear no matter where you drive?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I have not heard it from ISI, but I have been lead to believe that the rubbering in occurs where ever most of the cars drive. In the case of offline with AI, you would have very little effect on the outcome, but online, this suggests that you could get together and create your own rubbering in of the track. Guess a group of guys could get out and try this to see what happens.

3. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Why not check for yourself? Go out on a track and do 20-30 laps on a different than best line and you will see if it's fake or not.

4. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

You can create an additional dry/rubbered in line by driving off the racing line against the AI. Of course it takes longer as it is just one car. Most noticeable on a wet, drying track.

5. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

By splinemapping the texture, the skidmark are aligned with the racingline. Realroad technology determines where the skidmark-texture is shown

6. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

This!
    the spline mapping cares for the orientation of the texture, but the texture covers the completet race-surface. only the cars driving, and the way they are driving (i.e. is there much load on the tires) detemines where and how much the racingline will appear.

7. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

it works in real time, but I am against the paving texture skidmark. The car itself should draw special skidmark for each class in accordance with different trajectories cornering ...
    It's silly to lay the texture, it was shown as a photograph, the car has wheels on the drawing surface, and not to show the channel RACEGROOVE ...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Modernization should just build a quality track, and do not draw the channel RACEGROOVE, the machine itself must draw its wheels in each race RACEGROOVE should look differently, what would be seen where the mistake in the turns, braking Josquin traces, traces the trajectory of departures and so on .. . RACEGROOVE just a picture, which sometimes interferes with the right to enter into a turn, knocking the direction of the trajectory.

wheels themselves are dried and painted trajectory
    [​IMG]

the drying rate increased by 40 times

resources for more accurate reproduction of the work povrehnosti you have enough, it is easier than to draw alfakanal

8. ethone

ethone Registered

The tires do draw on the surface in rF2. The resolution isn't as big because the engine essentialy vertex paints on top of the mesh. The resolution is thus limited by the vertex density of the road mesh.
    I find it a clever solution, which isn't to say it's perfect though.

9. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I think it's a stupid decision, not correct and is not beautiful ... Track work is relative, there is no detail, no subtlety, no ruts. KartPRO able to do correctly and beautifully, and tacos monsters of the business as the ISI can not, I do not believe it, they are also talented! ...

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I'm pretty sure that ISI could do this with other technics and better detail, but you have to consider the bandwidth in multiplayer, because every player needs the information about track conditions on every spot of the track. So when you join a practice session that already runs for a while there is a lot of data you need to create realroad on your machine, especially on long tracks like spa.

11. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

totally agree with you! So this technology and need to find and replace ... only honestly say that I very much doubt that this will change ...
    And coming loose surface, too, will run about, so I really, just dropped his hands, and I will likely stay on rFactor1, because I was not satisfied with a very generalized rFactor2 system RealRoad

12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yes, it's per-vertex.
    Better tesselation of road would increase precisin of this effect, but at cost of increasing the number of real road samples.

KRP uses higher resolution of real road, but still limited - you can see blocky edges on that screenshot above.

Largest karting tracks exceed 1km in length. Largest track in rF2 exceeds 14km allready. Targa Florio in rF1 exceeded 70 km and it's not the biggest.

You can easily tell, that rF2 needs to stretch these real road samples over bigger area to get it done. The key issue here is networking - you need to keep these real road surfaces synchronized between players. The smaller the track, the more precise real road you can have.

13. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

would desire to find a technology

14. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

LFS in the rubber layer is formed as a separate file *.pth configuration for each track, and only tire marks are drawn on the surface of the game on each machine, looks more than enough beautiful lokonichno and believable, and in a lot of clutter bed rFactor2 RACEGROOVE and does not look visually beautiful.

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I think you're confusing simple skidmarks with real road technology.

While skidmarks only serve as visual eye candy, real road actually affects the car. rF2 does have skidmarks on top of real road aswell.

Try driving in LFS, without locking or sliding and in a weird lines, like you did with rF2 and then show us results of that test.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Also don't forget this is the first time Real Road Technology is being used, no doubt ISI have already learned lessons from it and we can only hope they continue to work on this tech long into the future. Hard for them to get it perfect first time don't you think?

17. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

[​IMG][​IMG]
    and the traces of inhibition and demolition give more robust and lively design of the track, each track left tire special.

I know that it's the first time, but you need to optimize, by the beauty and quality ... traces of inhibition in LFS give more reality and they are very very long time on the road, rFactor1-2 inhibition traces disappear very quickly and dramatically, I have tried to increase this value should stay longer, but they remain but new signs of inhibition does not appear ...
    I specialize in cross-country tracks for the rally and autocross, and there are always cars in the slide, and on the track a lot of skid marks, and when they disappear before your eyes, it's bad.
    A layer of RACEGROOVE sometimes looks very badly hit by the real and the direction of rotation of the trajectory, it is real, fake in visual terms, but the real function of grip, he certainly is.
    Still, about KartPRO, there can be a long track as much as a kilometer or miles on 1-100km, and traces of inhibition and drying will occur along the length of the track online, as they are able to do sinhranizirovat fine ... detailed road wet and dry.

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I wonder (maybe only ISI could answer this) in a multi-class event where the cars are running very different lines, if Realroad would respond by creating 2 separate racing grooves? At least in places where the line will be very different. When Zandy eventually makes it over to rF2, will there we 2 lines that develop down at Tarzan?

19. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

As it was already said many times, lines will be where cars goes by. Right now it is simplyfied (more like "per car" at the moment) but eventually all marks will be "per tyre" (but of course, polygon density will have decisive effect on how it looks in the end).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  20. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

that's why need a balanced visual RealRoad no colored layer RACEGROOVE, which just spoils the whole visual picture of the trajectories