Is Real Road really fake Road

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WheelNut, Aug 14, 2012.

1. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Unfortunately it's a bad idea. Computers don't have infinite memory nor infinite processing power. A value of 9000000 means you can have millions of polygons produced just for the sake of some visual effect.

Perhaps rF2 could draw these skidmarks onto texture dynamically. This way it wouldn't produce tons of polygons and tyre marks could stay for as long as you like. They wouldn't be as sharp, but perhaps good enough.
    But then again - it would be separate visual effect having nothing to do with real road technology.

1 person likes this.
  2. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

:(

in any case, this number can be increased to a reasonable level ... I think so.
    If such a small number, then I do not see any sense at all that would trace the ghosts appear, in one place then in another.

I totally agree with you ... it remained for the ISI ... When they do, adjust, and what happens ...
    Of course, I would very much like it.
    Really, if I could help than that, I'm ready ...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
  3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

This effect was to make sure a sliding car will leave a visible trail of tyres, so it will look good while sliding. That's why these traces are only temporary - so you could have nice effects during sliding or locking wheels. It wasn't meant to make race surface look any different - for that you need other, more permanent solution - more like the one in KRP.

Real road is a permanent solution, but offers limited precision. Skidmarks drawn by cars are of high precision, but temporary in nature.
    What KRP has is something not good enough for physics but nice for visualization. With twice the resolution of KRP we could have enough for some skidmarks so maybe it's something ISI can think of in future.

And as for the drying line - the one in KRP is very ugly because it's based on tyres "drawing" a dry line on road surface by "taking away" water. In real life tyres don't take water away, because they're wet themselves. What tyres do in real life is displace water or throw it in the air. Most of that water will end up on the road again.
    That's why in real life you will never see two dry lines on the road like you see in KRP. Drying line in real life will be very blurry - not as sharp as in KRP. So as far as drying line goes, low resolution of real road in rF2 is more realistic.

EDIT:
    Maybe to sum up where I stand: :)

Yes, I agree with Dmitry that it could look better. But what we currently have is physical real road technology that gets visualised. We can't get such visual quality from that, but then again - we can't make this technology any more accurate (technical limitations). And of course we don't want this technology to change towards just simple visual effect.
    Real road technology is a good thing and it would be difficult to do it any better.

But there is still room for visualisation layer on top of it. May not be easy to implement, because this visual layer cannot mislead players into believing road conditions are different from what we have in real road, but I think it could be done.

Thanks for staying with me on this one Dmitry :) Yeah, we both want the same thing, but perhaps I'm just more aware that it's more complicated than just drawing a few skidmarks on screen.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

in KRP I increased the drying time, you remember, but visually it looks sharp, but agrees KRPbeta6 test:)

5. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

@K Szczech, but there should be the way to improve this shader.

I don't know how racegroove texture is mixed with road, but after few laps in close ups all details from multi map are missing.

[​IMG]

For example skids painted on diffuse map mixed with multimap (probably these textures are multiplied by itself)

[​IMG]

Is it possible to reach similar effect but with racegroove texture? Accuracy isn't a problem I think, but visual representation...let's be honest, it doesn't look good.

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

We were talking about real road accuracy vs visual representation accuracy, so when you said you're ok with real road accuracy but you would like better visual representation, I assumed you're talking about accuracy aswell :)

As far as shading goes - yes, it can always be improved - just let me get my hands on these shaders ;)

7. Alesi

Alesi Registered

when u starts?)))

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I allready have :)

Right now I'm familiarizing myself with new GMT file format. I don't know enough yet to generate GMT file from scratch (but almost there), but enough to edit existing files to some extent. I can visualize them, replace materials and encode extra parameters for custom shaders. It's enough to get started, but I need to wait for coreshaders.mas to be unlocked.

It will probably stay locked until rF2 hits gold because ISI is still working on shaders. When rF2 will become stable feature-wise, then I'll have my go.