High-End Wheel Owners (CSW V2 and Above) Please Chime In - Experiences, Info, Reviews

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, May 5, 2015.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

the AF uses a stepper motor, custom wound, in POS mode

(there are motor supply companies that let you choose each aspect of a motor specification which I guess makes it a "custom" )

the cogging should be reduced when it's under power

sometimes turning a motor can create some electricity which feeds in then back as weak power pulses which can feel like cogging

edit : when one buys a consumer product, a lot of the cost ( maybe 50% ) pays a contribution towards the development, after service & profit to the company supplying it.

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ah, ok. That could still make sense. I didn't realise until you pointed out the 9.5A marking on your AF motor, that the link says "Each phase draws 5.0A" and if it's a two-phase stepper motor (which is likely), that would bring the peak current up to 10.0A.

It could still be the exact same motor, only AF could have marked the total peak current draw from the motor instead of per phase.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
  3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Do you notice any cogging with high and/or high with peaks settings like in the video i posted earlier?

Of course, if it does the job well then it doesn't really matter except for whether the final experience is worth the price to the user. I'd still love to try one.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ok, that's good to know. So when the car is stationary and you turn the steering wheel, no perceivable cogging too?

True but it's supposedly largest for DC brushless motors, right? Did you watch the video btw? The guy who made it also has a bodnar and has found zero zero/low-speed cogging torque at max torque setting for the bodnar (16Nm). I'm just curious about the limit before cogging can be noticed on the AF Pro (regardless of when racing/driving or not). Are you saying absolutely non at all? I understand the racing/driving condition is all that matters in practice.

Isn't that just the encoder though? Shouldn't have any bearing on the number of discrete steps on the stepper motor (which if it's the same as the one in the link, then 200 discrete steps) which will feel like 200 stutters in one cogging revolution.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Regarding the Ioni drive for the OpenSimwheel, I hear it's supposed to be less than $200 VS the $600 of the Argon drive, however, then I read this...

source --> http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/ioni-servo-driver-sub-200.6221/#post-69319

Sorry, I don't really know what any of that stuff actually means. I'm putting it out there for you guys that are much more knowledgeable about this sort of stuff than me as I'm still considering an IONI drive + MiGe 130ST-10015 if I can get it all (absolutely everything, fully mounted and working/playable wheel) for around $1000 U.S.

6. Led566

Led566 Registered

AFAIK by the official specs, IONI Pro (and I stress "Pro") will directly drive motors up to 52V 15A.
    It means it has more than enough headroom to drive the smaller MIGE 130ST-M10010 to 20Nm peak torque (15A Peak of Sine/10.6A RMS).
    In order to feed that current to IONI you need an external PSU that could be 48V 13A.
    A very economic choice (50$!) could be something like this:http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/OEM-power-supply-with-Cooling-Fan_60071529746.html
    A more professional (and experimented) one for 150$: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/PSP-600-48/?qs=vSyGtvivC8wEXOiccvTFFQ%3D%3D
    Much probably these are overkill, we need only peak current to get peak torque so even a smaller 48V 400W could be enough for IONI Pro plus MIGE10010.

The case of an additional power stage with the IONI Pro is only for using the Lenze motor up to 29 Nm peak, or the bigger MIGE (like the 130ST-M15015 to 30Nm peak).
    In order to use the MIGE 130ST-M10015 (that offers 25 Nm peak but absorbs more current) the need of an additional power stage is debatable.
    I asked for an advice over the french forum and much probably I will go for the 130ST-M10010 just to be sure.

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

It is to early to manifest the setup or the needs for IONI.

I even didn't get my IONI drive from the campain. They have started shipping them after the principle FI FO ( first in first out ).

So it will take some time, till every DIY'er will hold the IONI drive in there hands.

It also could be that some updates on the firnware will happen in time, as for example the last info i had was about a firmware with 18 Amp support, but i also am not informed about all details.

Wait and see, but i know how it is with junkies, the don't have any patience and Chi anymore. :)

Or as i said already get in touch with Dennis and get a Argon setup, the ofc is better than the IONI, as the big brother of it. :)

The Argon has some pros over the IONI, such as for example Bernhard B. is developing the firmware on the Argon base, and it will sure have some nice features in the future, as example an expanded API mode, but Dennis can give you more details on the future of that project for sure.

I for one can tell you that those guys are genius and worth the support.

But man for what you need it that fast. I mean it isn't food you need, it is a toy, and the more a toy for faulty ffb simulation for all the WIP software all around in my opinion.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Thanks for the replies Led and speed.

Regarding the smaller MiGe motors, the guy in the Vimeo videos I posted back in this thread (F179 @ Mosport) uses the small MiGe (20Nm peak) but he has it overpowered (more amps I think) so that it can do 30Nm peaks. He also says it's reliable because it is just peaks here and there (not constant 30Nm).

So if "over-powering" is reliable, then am I correct in saying the small MiGes (M100xx) would be better than the big MiGes (M150xx) because the small ones can also reach 30Nm BUT with less resistance/friction than the big MiGes?

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Re.OSW -there's a new custom ( specifically made for the OSW ) circuit board about to be available
    Crunches down the cost a tad & simplifies the system

Sorry if this has already been mentioned

I'll put together a OSW later in the year time permitting

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

Now i understand why you are in rush. Seems you selled your t500rs if i'm right, because you mentioned in the other thread that you where using a Momo Red atm.

Spinelli, i just can repeat myself, get in touch with Dennis, he is a smart guy and very acknowledged.

He can explain you the bits and bites much better than anybody else. ;)

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

I'll do that once i'm convienced and the driving simulators are worth the investment.

I'm not into iRacing and can't say anything about but the last i tested it, it was the most bad on this planet, but to be fair, it was before the updates and was aprox 3 years ago. ;)

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Can i ask, how much is the Lenze and where can it be purchased? Any link?

13. Eddy

Eddy Registered

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

Lenze is around 1000 Euro aprox. Google for O.S.W building guide, sure you can find the Info around the Web.

I could give you the link where the O.S.W. is born and at home but i don't know if i'm allowed to give you the link, because the community is already exploding since the OSW project becomes more and more popular. It already was the biggest german simracing community before and where all the brains, fast, real guys and genius people are at home, incl. some well known people from the ....... industry.

In other words you will find the elite of germany there and from every business you can think about.

Ah i see Eddy was faster,while i'm typing with tapatalk. :)

15. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

You know you can contact me when and for whatever you like. You don't need to talk public.

Get in touch per pm, i'll give you all available contact sources of mine, and support you where ever and as good as i can. ;)

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh wow, so around 5x the cost of the Mige's. That is substantially more expensive.

The only difference i took notice of was the 4x smaller rotational inertia of the Lenze vs the Mige. Anyone else know of other differences between them that'll be significant to the end-user?

18. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

The difference between both are (afaik 20-30€), where the Mige (20NM) is ~180€. I guess, you don`t meant the whole Wheel Base?

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I was talking about the Lenze vs Mige there. :)

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

- I thought with shipping the MiGes are about $350-$450 U.S.?

- Yes, speed, I sold my T500RS :) . I'm so tempted to just buy a Fana CSW V2, but I keep thinking of how crazy that may be ($550 base + $180 FRim + $25 Shipping) everytime I watch an OSW video showing 20-30Nm of beauty :)

- The small MiGe (M100xx) has less rotational inertia than the big MiGe (M150xx). The small, I believe, is rated around 1.6-1.9 (I can't remember exactly) and I believe the big was somewhere around the mid or high 2s (2.3?, 2.7?). While the Lenze is a little under 1.0 (0.75?, 0.95?). However, judging from the F179 @ Mosport video, the rotational inertia of the small MiGe DEFINITELY seems good enough even before considering the price difference VS the Lenze; I mean, come on, just watch the video :)

- I think the small MiGe (M100xx models) with their lower rotational inertia (compared to the big MiGe), and over-powered (extra amps?) to peak @ 30Nm instead of 20Nm, is the best combo, easily! Well, unless you want to spend all the extra money on a Lenze.

Yes, I need to get on those OSW forums and start asking Dennis and everyone else questions there, ASAP!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2015