High-End Wheel Owners (CSW V2 and Above) Please Chime In - Experiences, Info, Reviews

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, May 5, 2015.

1. cookie

cookie Registered

If you can't spend $12 for 3 months of forum use or racing forget building a $1500.00 wheel.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

LOL! Right

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ok, I just bought a Fana CSW V2 with BMW GT2 rim. I'm going to get the Formula Rim and either the Hub and a round big rim (32 or 33 cm) or the Porsche 918 rim due to the BMW rim being heavy as most people know.

I'm still going to get an OSW. In-fact, there is no way that I'm not getting one :)

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I've got the CSWv2 with the carbon formula wheel. Feels fantastic.

5. whiplash

whiplash Registered

Nice one, i have the same combo with the GT2 rim. Now that i know how real heavy the rim is, i would consider buying the porsche rim only. But it is so much more expensive. I still hope for a lightweight, unbranded gt-rim from them soon.

But for most cars, the weight of the wheel is no big issue. Try the palatov for example, it just blew away anything i thought felt good before.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

keep an eye open for Barry's review ( about imminent ) of some of the current DD wheels
    high end servo systems like the OSW & Bodnar, also includes the stepper ffb system Accuforce

I think it will be a good one to watch

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT_50ZiRFWSm7oziV1OZloQ

7. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

This thread just cost me about 1600 €

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

More details please :) :) :)

9. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I bought OSW beginner set from here http://ib-reimer.de/index.php/produkte/opensimwheel-beginner. I was happily surprised because shipping to finland was only 35 €. The problem now is that how i explain spending 1600 € on a sim wheel to other people.

Explanation version 1 goes like this: Sims are real hobby for me like cycling, hunting and other stuff are for others, and they spend thousands of euros to their bicycles and guns. For me this is also a substitute for real life trackday driving so i save on gasoline, tyre and car buying and fixing expenses. Also this wheel probably will last for a long time so by keeping on buying new cheap plastic wheels once a few years, i would have ended up spending almost the same amount of money on a long run. And quality of my life would have been significantly lower during that time.

Or maybe i won't tell them how much it cost.

10. Eddy

Eddy Registered

nice.....please keep us posted so we know what your experiences are

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Korva7 - that system is an industrial grade hi precision servo system, for sim racing it will last you a life time

( they last many many years without maintenance under heavy workloads in industry working 7 days a week etc )

12. traind

traind Registered

It seems like your explanation strategy has every base covered! Hope you enjoy the wheel... from everything I have read on the direct drive wheels... you will love it!

13. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I will, but have to wait 4 weeks before the wheel comes :(

I though that too.

:eek: I start to feel that this was a good decision. Now i wish i had a time machine. It will be difficult 4 weeks ahead.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  14. Z06Trackman

Z06Trackman Registered

** Edit: Steering Torque Capability does not function as stated in this post. There are several others who have properly explained it. Please ignore my comments here on STC. I now have it set at 13 which is what other AF owners who post use. ***

Update on my Accuforce wheel which I have had for about five weeks: the Steering Torque Capability is now set to 20 Nm and I feel no hardware clipping even when banging a F1 car off the curbs (the FFB Mult is set to 0.85 for Marussia and this gives some software clipping spikes on hard curb hits). The wheel is strong enough that I can't hold the car completely straight when tracking out too far on one of the curbs at Silverstone in the Marussia, yet there is plenty of on center resistance with the Steering Torque Minimum set to zero. That is the dynamic range I was looking for. This wheel was a bigger improvement than even my triples. There is so much info coming through the wheel now that sometimes I forget to turn on Simvibe. That never happened with my weak but nice Fanatec wheel. As a side note, Simvibe is a tremendous addition when using a weak wheel; it adds a great deal of immersion. I still like it with the strong wheel, but I no longer think of it as a requirement.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  15. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

So good at revewing with technical knowledge and well explained to non expert users as well.

16. Beano

Beano Registered

hello Guys,
    Just thought I'd register here in case there are people that have questions about OSW too.

I can possibly replicate my iRacing threads for BruteForce 1(Argon) and 2 (IONI) over here too. Just let me know where a good place would be.

Cheers,
    Beano

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Good one beano

Just start a new thread, I nearly did it for you then noticed your note on Iracing thread re.copying etc

18. Beano

Beano Registered

I can do, no worries Bud.

Will fire up a thread tomorrow then. Gotta have some shut-eye....

Cheers,
    Beano

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

In order to get the "true" 20 Nm calibration or whatever, doesn;t that mean that in-game vehicle multi has to be at 1.00 and doesn't your wheel have to be capable of at-least 20 Nm as-well? I also read that it depends on the modders too as modders have the option to boost FFB right from the very mod itself's settings? So confusing, lol.

20. Z06Trackman

Z06Trackman Registered

** This post is also incorrect as STC does not operate this way. STC does not increase the forces requested by the game. **

I don't know if that math is right. Even if it is, we all know that we don't want heavy software clipping, so we need to set FFB Mult according to that, and then adjust the force sent to the wheel elsewhere (or adjust the force provided by the wheel). Once we have that figured, then the question is does the wheel clip the signal sent because it can't handle the torque peaks (or even the steady state torque). My point in my post is that by lowering the FFP Mult to reduce software clipping on curbs, and then setting the Steering Torque Capability to a value much higher than the 30 minutes sustained max torque advertised by my wheel manufacturer (20 Nm vs. 13 Nm), I still don't have significant (if any, who knows?) hardware clipping.

The only way to know if the wheel produces the same magnitude as real life forces is to compare the torque generated by the wheel with the steering shaft torque shown in Motec. The AF wheel has a real time bar graph to display force generated, but I haven't been able to make it work (not dug into it yet though).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015