High-End Wheel Owners (CSW V2 and Above) Please Chime In - Experiences, Info, Reviews

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, May 5, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Without really getting into the maths, can someone try to explain and help me understand what the differences/risks/pros/cons would be if using a PSU @, let's say for Eg., 24V @ 20A instead of 48V @ 20A?

2. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Depends what you going to run with that PSU. If you are having a 24V PSU to run a 48V motor, the motor will run at double slower speed. If you are running some control boards, then there needs to be cautios with Voltages, boards usually have overvoltage protection, but that depends on the boards. If the voltage is that much lower, probably wont work.

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The voltage dictates the peak speed at which the motor is still able to output it's peak torque (which is determined by the maximum current output possibly by the psu, in this case it's 20A). So if you go with the 24V psu, the peak speed that it can maintain a motors peak torque output (which = torque coefficient x maximum current possible) will occur at half the peak speed possible with a 48V psu (but it must also have the same current output rating as the 24V psu).

Having said all that though, if there is a software speed limit for these motors in ffb application, then there will be a point at which choosing a psu with a higher voltage rating will produce no gains (again, so long as the current rating is the sameā€¦e.g. in this case, 20A).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ok well let's say for a large MiGe @ 20A. Would 24V instead of 48V make a difference for simracing if planning on using the wheel to it's full potential (around 25.7 Nm)?

5. Joe

Joe Registered

you may need to consider 1000W for this motor at peak torque. so you have to do with 48V PSU

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I don't think so. These voltages would probably allow these motors to maintain peak torque output above and beyond the artificial speed limiters put in place via the OSW software (just like for any other ffb wheel capable of reaching dangerous speeds).

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ok, what about the amps and the outlets in my house? I've read that most outlets in North American homes only have a max of 15A and some 20A in he kitchen. So, will my wheel burn my house down if it ever goes to 15A? Obviously people are using these and I'm kidding about burning the house down but do the people using these use special industrial wall outlets or something?

I have a powerbar plugged into a dual-outlet wall outlet. I plug my computer, stereo, and 3 monitors in the powerbar, and my CSW V2 directly into the outlet's second outlet....

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol, no, you have nothing to worry about like that. :p

You may only be able to draw from a single output up to a maximum of 15A (AC) but that's at 110V (AC). The PSU then converts this into DC and and at a lower voltage of 24/48V which then also allows for a higher (DC) current output (e.g. 20A) from the psu than what would otherwise be possible straight from the outlet (e.g. 15A rms AC). It's not really right to compare them either due to being different forms of current (i.e. AC vs DC).

If this weren't true then 1000+ Watt psu's would not be possible. I mean, most mid-range graphics cards require like ~20A and yet it's all being pulled from a single PSU hooked to a single wall outlet. And you're PSU is probably plugged into a multi adapter simultaneously powering other electronics too. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hahaha good points. I'm just trying to get all my last concerns/thoughts out of the way because I'm very, very close to finally sending my money for an OSW kit. Thanks for the quick replies.

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

No probs and asking as many questions as you need to gain full clarity before spending so much money is completely understandable (or at least it is to me).

11. conboy31

conboy31 Registered

I have a momo mod30 wheel with a q1r and was curious what OSW users have equipped for f1 racing? Are people modding clubsport stuff, buying custom Sam Maxwell wheels, fabricating their own? Any recommendations or insight?

12. Led566

Led566 Registered

I'm modding a Fanatec F1 wheel.
    I've designed and 3d printed the shaft adapter.

13. kieferdl

kieferdl Registered

Glad someone is finally offering an OSW build & supply service for those that don't like to use a screwdriver

Even at these ready prebuild/supply prices -it's a total steal

Good one Dennis

14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

This is a great read, just a pity it hasn't been updated with newer DD bases, to show their peak and holding torque. Sure the manufacturers tell us one number but would be good to hear user observations.

15. yanguilaide32

yanguilaide32 Registered

I have confront similar problem as you......