High-End Wheel Owners (CSW V2 and Above) Please Chime In - Experiences, Info, Reviews

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, May 5, 2015.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Paul -what's that grinding noise when you turn the wheel at the beginning ?

is that coming from the motor ?

are you not apply with your AF Paul ?

if I were you I wouldn't be bothered about cogging at all -you shouldn't feel any cogging whilst the motor is under power

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

opinions I've read there is very very little difference between the two

the Lenze however does have a very slight edge explained mainly as minor fidelity increase but the general consensus seems to be the extra cost doesn't justify this small advantage ( it could only be just a noticeable 5% )

(this is just a simple summary of what I can gather from the opinions of about 3 others who have tested both servos )

there seems to be a big buzz about higher power Nm's at the moment
    I can't understand it , my bodnar is no where near max & very strong

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

agreed, the only reason I can think that a high resolution encoder ( these things are fairly inexpensive ) is useful on the AF is from a marketing point of view

Paul -consider mounting your motor without the outer case (I still can't work out what that outer case is actually for as the motor inside already has a sturdy case )

if it were to hide what's inside ...pointless as the first thing a good reviewer would do is unscrew and pull out the actual motor for the whole world to see aka Barry's review

4. Joe

Joe Registered

Hi Paul:

My mistake. I deleted my reply. Sorry. the step angle is actually nothing to do with encoder. Encoder can be very high resolution to report the wheel position as turning. One can turn the motor any angle as wish, Not limited by step angle.
    When FFB force wheel intend back to original position (0 position) then accuracy is limited by step angle, but in this application, this is not important at all. You actually hold the wheel though.
    I think, the sim-x choice stepper motor is pretty wise in this regard.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Paul,

isn't simX offering a version that's not in the outer case (is this the DIY version or something like that?)
    I'm sure there would be some kind of mounting bracket available for it ( if not from simX then from somewhere else)

I'm pretty sure the motor is just the same ( someone claimed this anyhow )

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The rave with higher and higher torque is to be able to run cars just like in real-life, or as close as possible. Take a look at the two Star Mazda @ Road Atlanta vids in this thread :)

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

Vids wan't tell you anything other than the virtual motion but doesn't gives you an idea how the much more powerfull sys handles the incoming forces and how it creates the feeling out of the column input, the ofc doesn't allows to balance individual forces, which are simply a package where you have to live with any imbalance of the forces, so you would have to live with overpowered and underpowered forces in the mix.

I beat they all drive with unrealistic column forces, such as overpowered self alignment in rf2 for example.

The result can't be better at all, and the hardware can't compensate the unnatural mix of incoming forces.

In other words, increasing overall strength means increasing the faulty mix lineary.

There is no way to change the physic just with the hardware.

Could you imagine how that will feel when it already feels wrong with the standard hardware ?

Especially you the guy looking for flexibility in the mix or me looking for the optimal mix of real forces.

I fear that it wan't change much for you. For me i'm sure that it wan't change anything other than the accuracy, speed and power, but not the mix.

And don't listen to people which have no idea what they are talking about or seem to have no sense.

So my advise to you is to set your choice with safety before the dissapointment.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

DrR, is that for the M100xx line of MiGe motors, or the M150xx line?

Speed, I know what you mean. I don't expect perfection because no sim and FFB is perfect, just like physics, and everything else. I'm not looking at the OSW to make me faster or more consistent, I just want it for the sheer joy of it. I want to not be able to do more than 10 or 20 laps without my arms feeling like they're going to fall off. I want to feel the massive load of some cars compared to the lighter load of all other cars therefore making every car have it's own FFB strength (unlike with a "regular" wheel where almost every car feels similarly strong). I want to feel the huge dynamic range of forces. I want to be forced to have to train my body in order to last a 1 hr FR3.5 race. I want there to be danger of getting physically hurt in a crash (make sure to let go of the wheel! Lol) :)

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Have you ever physically been in the remote neighborhood of such a wheel, let alone used one?
    By what you are posting, it sure as heck doesn't seem that way.. It seems you are stating facts
    while in fact those seem to be predetermined opinions based on prejudice or misinformation?

One big piece of advice Spinelli, TRY OUT a direct drive system to know what you are talking
    about and possibly buying. No explanation or words no matter how accurate, biased or otherwise
    can tell you what it is like and how different this is compared to what you are currently
    using.

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

How you will know that, left out to know whom i'm and what am i doing.

And why you are reacting so negative ? You don't like my words ? I remember we two where cool, and i'm aware of that i would have more supporter and frends if i where a fake and a bootlicker, but sorry i'm not. ;)

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It seems like I'm stating facts? Sorry, I don't think I'm following you...

No, I've never tried a direct drive servo wheel. Definitely not. But when I see videos of them, especially the F179 @ Mosport video and the two Star Mazda @ Road Atlanta videos (all three posted in this thread) I drool over them. I'm in love. I'm in heaven :)

EDIT: I may have gotten confused, please ignore the first part of my post if it wasn't meant for me.

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

I know man, i feel you and your love, and i like it. I didn't said for nothing talk to the OSW guys, because they can offer you all the details you are asking for.

If you like so i'll help you. ;)

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Just asking about your reasoning and trying to help Spinelli just as you are trying to, but I just don't agree with that post that is all.
    Being a 'fake bootlicker' as you call it will not get you anywhere indeed. Also that I don't agree with you doesn't mean
    I hate your guts all of a sudden :p

edit:
    it means we're still cool you tosser!

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

I'm not sure if i get the last sentence of you right, but neither i hate something nor that it would be something new. There is just a reason why i'm silent. It never was pleasant to walk alone trough the fire, and i'm not going to lie just to please people.
    That is just not me. ;)

15. cookie

cookie Registered

Hi guys I see on the iRacing forums Ollie is going to make a kit for the OSW
    SIM-ple will be available in 3 packages:

Stand alone @ 115GBP inc VAT (Europe) / 160USD (Rest of the World)

Bundled with IONI Pro @ 285GBP inc VAT (Europe) / 390USD (Rest of the World)

Self-assembly DD FFB kit consisting of

Small Mige

Pre-assembled MIGe Power & Feedback cables

All-in-one board (Sim-ple for IONI)

IONI Pro

Ascher Racing MIGe mount

Holger's OSW Adapter with COM-B 22x32

E-Stop

Enable Switch

Ferrite Cores

600W Switching PSU

@ 725GBP inc VAT (Europe) / 1050USD (Australia & New Zealand) / 1025USD (Canada & USA)

All prices are delivered.

Cheers
    Ollie

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Do you know if that setup is capable of higher than stock Amps for the small MiGe motor? The guy with the Lotus 79 @ Mosport video runs the small MiGe at around 30Nm from running it at higher amps and says it's safe and reliable. Is the IONI capable if handling that?? Or do you need the Argon for that?

17. cookie

cookie Registered

yes with the External MOSFET Driver you can get more than enough amps to run anything.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Do you still use the IONI thing if you use an external MOSFET driver? Most of the threads are German and I am unsubscribed from iRacing so I don't know what OSW forum to join. They all seem to be in other languages :(

19. cookie

cookie Registered

If you're serious about building a OSW best join the iRacing forums there's so much info you can't go wrong.The external MOSFET driver is for the IONI to increase the amp capability.
    I'm building a budget OSW just waiting on the IONI, using a xbox bluetooth controller wired to paddle shifters. View attachment 16757 View attachment 16758 View attachment 16759

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

But you can't join the iRacing forums, or even read them, unless you're an active member. It's ridiculous...