High-End Wheel Owners (CSW V2 and Above) Please Chime In - Experiences, Info, Reviews

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, May 5, 2015.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Sweet! :)

I was very eager to try this at the time but couldn't wait any longer and went with the t500.

I deleted my comment about the 4Nm if back calculating based on fanatec's statement about 75% more power than the CSW B V1 and 7Nm torque for the V2 because i realised afterwards it said +75% more power and not more torque. My mistake. A percentage in power increase only translates to the same percentage increase in torque if the gearing/transmission ratios between motor and steering wheel are identical. And if i recall correctly, the v2 gearing/transmission ratio is different.

I do remember the torque/power fade problem of the CSR-E well. Glad it's no longer plaguing you. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
  2. TechAde

TechAde Registered

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol, fair enough. :p

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm pretty sure the G25 and G27 do much less than 4 Nm, the T500RS does a bit more than 5.0 Nm, and the CSW v2 does quit a bit more than 6.0 Nm. The following is what I've gathered over time.

G27
    - 2.5 Nm - 3.28 Nm ------ 2.5 Nm here, 3.0 Nm here, 3.28 here (quoted part which may originally be from here)

G25 - Not sure but I've heard multiple times it's a bit more powerful than the G27.

CSR / GT2 / GT3RS v2 - Not sure, but almost certainly more than the G25 and G27 (I have lots of experience with, both, the G25 and CSR). The same person who said 3.28 Nm for his G27 said 4.59 Nm for his GT3RS v2 here (quoted part which may originally be from here)

T300RS / TX
    - Less than the T500RS but still relatively powerful. 4.25 Nm - 5.25 Nm?

CSW v1
    - 5.0 Nm - 5.25 Nm ------- "My stock V1 was good for about 5 Nm of torque when cold at stall..." here, 5.25 Nm here

T500RS
    - 5.0 Nm - 6.0 Nm ------ I most often hear 5.5 Nm, I've seen 5.0 Nm, and 6.0 Nm here --- Techade's G27 measurment differed from David Tucker's so maybe 5.5 Nm is a safe bet considering all the numbers floating around?

CSW v2
    - 7.0 Nm - 7.3 Nm ------- Fanatec claims over 7 Nm here, 7 Nm here, 7.3 Nm tested here

AF Pro
    - 13 Nm ------ But possibly 16 Nm in some kind of other non-linear mode or something??? Please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll delete the "16 Nm" part

Bodnar
    - 16 Nm+ ------ Bodnar comes with different motor options (I don't know why nobody ever mentions this, it's even stated on their website)

OSW
    - 20 Nm - 30 Nm ------ Based on the most commonly used motors (MiGe 130ST-M10010 AKA "Small MiGe" = 20 Nm --- MiGe 130ST-M15015 AKA "Big MiGe" = 30 Nm --- Lenze (not sure model #) = 30 Nm)

The thing with the CSW V1 at max power (wether it's 5.0 or 5.25 Nm) is that it would quite commonly loose power due to head-fade unlike the CSW V2 as the following makes clear:
    source

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
  5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes, i got the numbers pretty wrong there. Thanks for sharing a more complete list of data sources and stall torque measurements of ffb wheels.

6. Z06Trackman

Z06Trackman Registered

My son (who really gets the Marussia F1 car around a track) and I did some serious testing at Silverstone on the max STC with our AF wheel. Silverstone is a fantastic track for winged cars, and it has a high speed turn that produces nearly 40 Nm of average steering shaft torque shown in Motec. In a previous post I stated that we had gradually cranked up the STC to 20 Nm. After extensive high speed curb hammering we found some hardware clipping with the STC set at 20 Nm as compared to when set at the wheels's rated 13 Nm. When we backed the STC down to 18 Nm, the curbs felt the same (although with lower forces) as when set to 13. Bottom line: I believe the AF wheel can be set to 18 Nm for STC without experiencing hardware clipping. The FFB was set to 0.85, which produced flashes of red on the software clipping meter when hammering curbs

I am not saying this makes the AF wheel comparable in torque output to the OSW wheels; it is likely that the STC for those wheels can be set much higher than the rated torque also. I will say this: with our current settings for the AF the grip required makes my hands hurt after a session in the Marussia F1. I can't imagine what it's like to drive the real car for hours with more than twice the wheel forces the AF makes!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I don't think that the steering shaft torgue that motec show is the torgue that drivers in real life experience, because F1 cars has power steering which are not simulated in rF2.

I have had my small mige osw for few days now, and i don't know why someone would want to have more torgue than 20 Nm. In my opinion driving starts to feel unpleasant all ready when the plugin shows that i have half of the force in cornering. torgue is not same as pleasure in my opinion. After some point atleast.

8. Z06Trackman

Z06Trackman Registered

One year ago my son drove the full motion simulator at the Ferrari museum in Marenello. They said it was the same as those in the drivers' homes which they use to practice new steering wheel configurations. They also said the the steering forces where halved from the real car for us tourist dweebs (they could turn it to full forces if desired), and the brake pedal forces were only 1/3 of the real car (the sim pedal was still very stiff). My son stuck with the recommended half steering force, and he reported the steering was incredibly heavy. He believes the forces now generated by my AF are about 1/3 to 1/2 of those he felt on the Ferrari sim. That would make the real car between 4 and 6 times heavier than my AF. When considering the 5g turns, the big soft tires, the small steering wheel, the front suspension geometry, and the need for light low power drawing auxiliary systems on an F1 car, it is reasonable to believe that those drivers are still managing a seriously heavy wheel.

9. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Ok. that's probaby true.

10. Ari Sherwood

Ari Sherwood Registered

Paul - do you have any photos of how you've reinforced your Obutto for a DD wheel? Thanks in advance!

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

12. Led566

Led566 Registered

Interesting.
    MOTEC torque sensor is before or after the power steering system?

EDIT: Nevermind...I was thinking you were talking about the "real" F1 thing, but you don't, weren't you?

13. Led566

Led566 Registered

I've used the Evotek last February in Verona.
    AFAIK it is the same they have in Maranello.
    It's not on par with my OSW, the max torque is 15 Nm as stated in Evotek website.

Anyway you give me an idea on what to do in the next weekend...I'm just 50km away ;)

14. Ari Sherwood

Ari Sherwood Registered

Thank Paul! I can see the pics. Looks like some heavy duty work there. Why did you reinforce the pedal area as well? Was that just to keep the pedal plate from tilting when you brake?

15. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

After reading your post I got to thinking and watching a few in car replays of real F1.
    With respect I seriously doubt that these guys are dealing with massive steering wheel torque values. They deal with massive G forces and their necks bear witness to that. I read that David Couthards collar size went down about 2 inches in the year he retired. The things that make me disbelieve what your son was told are
    1) the incredibly fast hand movements and correction that are possible (Daniel Ricciardos pass in S3 at Cota one great example.) If there were arm deadening levels of torque it just couldnt be done.
    2) The physiques of the drivers feature massively strong necks as mentioned but arm development is just average. Suzie Wollf is a great example, her neck got really big but her arms just normal.
    A GP of 90 minutes would be incredible if this were the case. They get out of the car exhausted but dont seem to have any issues with their arms.
    We look at tiny guys like Massa, Stevens they simply dont have superhuman arm strength. Vettel too.
    So the motivation or ignorance of the people running the place at Maranello is possibly to blame. Maybe they want to big up the F1 drivers? Dont know.

16. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

GP2 and Indycar are around 20 to 30nm and you can see that the steering is a lot heavier. I think with a wheel output of 20nm you should be fine in a sim. Of course in a crash you get higher forces, but we dont want to break our wrists, do we?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I was just about to say what you guys just did. F1 isn't so strong (relatively speaking of course), FR3.5 and IndyCars are stronger (and I guess GP2 as-well). Older F1 cars look really strong though about mid-90s and prior.

Group C, IMSA, etc. cars look pretty strong too.

18. Z06Trackman

Z06Trackman Registered

You guys could all be correct about the real life forces in an F1 car. It was ten months between driving the Ferrari sim in Maranello and my AF wheel. Still, the AF does 13Nm and the sim calls for 40Nm so that is 3x (according to the Motec data). For sure the sim operator at Ferrari said my son was using the 1/2 wheel force setting and my son said it was very heavy. I should've asked Kimi and Sebastian at COTA when I got their autographs a few weeks ago! I was too star struck to come up with anything more meaningful than, "Good luck tomorrow!". The were very nice and patient with fans; all smiles. I saw Kimi laugh at something one fan said.

19. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned