Happy Holidays from Studio 397!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 23, 2016.

1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Ah, don´t know if it was mentioned before (scrolled all pages here but no), but what has happend to the side mirrors?
    They are not rendered, just the mirror-plane itself (looks like virtual mirror). What is this?

2. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Have you checked your graphic settings and that the player car is on full settings? Also check the auto detail FPS setting. I've seen this glitch in one of the yt videos but haven't come across it myself yet.

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Ah, ok! Thanks! Indeed, I don´t have it on full.

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I never use the rear floating camera view, so am non-plussed about the difference between the sound of the engine in that view versus the others. By far the sound issue that ruins the experience of these cars is the shifting sound from the opponents being set way too loud and transmitting way too far. The opponent shift sound is louder the one coming from your own car for goodness sake.

The engine sound itself has started to grow on me a bit, though it is an acquired taste I agree. But I wish I could hear more of it over the cacophony of gear snapping from all the cars around me--even those not within sight or close range! How is the shifting sound of the opponents louder than the engines from the opponents?

Alex72 likes this.
  5. Emery

Emery Registered

Is it gear change or is it backfire?

Alex72 likes this.
  6. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Sounds seems good.
    Make your own opinion.

MarcG likes this.
  7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Well I for one speak especially of onboard sound.
    Its simply the FR 3.5 distorted. No tranny sound at all, all very "cheap".

8. I_Bellett

I_Bellett Registered

@GaetanL
    The engine of GT-R of the video is NRE(2L L4 Turbo) and is not VRH34B.
    VRH34B(or VRH34A) makes such a sound.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It's both, but in both cases I would expect to hear what's coming from my own car more prominently than from distant opponents.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The exterior sounds are fine. I understand the interior noises are considered muffled by helmets and earplugs etc, but the in the car sounds of the GT 500 Nissan seem TOO muffled. And the gearchange noises, at least when downshifting, we are hearing the backfires pop-pop-popping when the car is shifted. (not the mechanical engagement of the shifter lever/dogs/gears.(reminds me of Zytek engines)

11. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Out of interest, what sound references are you guys using to compare the sounds to when deciding the in-car sounds are too "muffled"? It is a serious question since there are very few clips available that feature the VRH34B engine in an in-car view that are not a) heavily distorted and b) mixed with japanese commentators talking. Unfortunately we do not have access to the real car to sample from it.

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

The external sound is what bugs me more, it is totally wrong

If it was the 2014 car would be easier to get these onboard sounds

I'll contact the guys at Racing4Everyone to see if they still have videos like these from 2013

13. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Well, that´s......bad!
    For me this is part of a licensed car! Sound is also a kind of "data" that is needed to simulate the car correctly.

I just hope this will change for future cars. Look at Sector3. How they do it?
    Real car, real samples. Simpel as that.
    I just don´t want half arsed crap anymore! Sorry, but had enough of that with ISI.

Guimengo and Fretch01 like this.
  14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Ask Sector 3 to license cars in Japan and they'll have the same issue ;) AFAIK the Japanese are not much cooperative on this stuff, at least this is what I heard, one of the reasons the HSV010 never appeared in iRacing

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

In the meantime, is the opponent volume level properly balanced with the player volume level in S397's opinion? If not, it's probably a 10-minute fix and quick Steam update from being resolved. I can't even judge the sound properly to have an opinion (unless I drive alone on a track, which I never do) until I can properly hear my own car.

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

The ability to control this in realtime would be nice :D

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Capturing sound from onboard video which is heavily compressed, miked from the wrong place with inferior equipment for a first person sound sample is so wrong. Sound from in cockpit wearing a helmet sounds a bit different to someone listening without helmet and not from in cockpit. I know this from how different my bike sounded on warmup to when I raced it with helmet on.

18. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Maybe it coule be agood addition to have the possibility to recreate helmet effect on onboard sound. I understand it would be a simple transformation applying some variable attenuance at the different frequencies of the audible spectrum.

It probably adds immersion now that VR is coming.

Woodee likes this.
  19. stonec

stonec Registered

My sound reference is the FR3.5 2014 car that also uses a Renault engine. To my ear ISI used the same sound sample in GT500 (compare videos below). The difference is, FR3.5 samples are pure and original, GT500 sounds like someone quickly put it through some Audacity filters to hide the fact that it's using the same samples as FR3.5. As a result a lot of the dynamic range and bass are lost in the altered sample, again judging only by what I hear as I have not compared to actual samples in any software. I would have much preferred if just the original FR3.5 sample was used in the GT500.

A lot of the cars in rF2 are not using original sounds. For example Marussia F1 that was licensed and regarded as highly realistic used the same sample as all Formula ISI cars use.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Well I don't wear a helmet when I'm playing a video game so I don't care for this at all, just want the correct sound :)