Happy Holidays from Studio 397!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 23, 2016.

1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Exactly! One of many things that have to change with S397!
    I hope(d) for a better quality of content with the new owners, not the same!

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

So the sound should be "pre-muffled" so it is as though you ARE wearing one.

3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

No, it should be the real thing, if people want to feel more in a car then they put a helmet, does look strange tho

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah I second that. When the original samples are used (e.g. Corvette C6.R, Nissan GTR, FR3.5 2014) the quality can be really good. The best samples in rF2 are at least on par or better than what I hear in other games like AC (only R3E is ahead of everyone in this department). I suspect those are the ones recorded by Greg Hill who is considered a guru in this field, as his credits are mentioned in rF2. But since a few years ISI hasn't invested much in getting new samples, which I suspect has caused this inconsistency, whereas other sims have steadily improved their sounds. Stock cars, Howston and all the recently released cars use some fake mix of samples, the only exception is USF which sounds really good.

peterchen likes this.
  5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Rubbish. We should have real sound without needing to put on a helmet playing a COMPUTER GAME.

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That's the point ;)

7. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

I've just put "VRH34B" into a youtube search. First video:

Onboard:

If i look at the cockpit: This one comes nearest.

This one is just cool. :)

The rF2 car comes closest to "the sound" is the URD LMP2, but it needs the off throttle bang, bang. But this is a different sound-sample the car already has. ;)

TJones likes this.
  8. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Personally I hate the in car sound of the Nissan GT500. Gives me a headache after a hour or so of driving it. I do use head phones when driving. Wife hate the car sounds at the best of times. The sound reverberates like you have your head in a drum. The head phones aren't a cheat set. 7.1 sound compatible logitech G430. Not to be sneezed at!

This is however not the only thing wrong with this car. Visually it's not that great either. Another common thing with ISI cars the clay model is reasonable but they tend to go backwards from there. Mapping, Texturing, Arranging and render to textures (OA) or shading. Alpha set up or use of alpha are more often than not badly utilized.Though tried, inaccurate liveries or should I say incomplete. The GT500 is no exception I'm afraid. Basically it ugly through no fault of rF2's graphics engine.

BUT! To be fair these are ISI issues and this car is or was up to the textured stay long before Studio 397 took over the reigns. So it's gone under the radar as just another ISI not so well done car.

However! a not to Studio 397, IF! you are going to start doing paid DLC's and I am a advocate for it because you need an income to keep financing the future of rFactor2. I get that, but your content quality has to reflect that also. If I had paid for this mod (car), I'd be really pissed and feel ripped off! Wanting my money back.

We have third party FREE to use content that "is" all so far above the quality shown by ISI content and that's not just cars, but tracks also. Admittedly there are exceptions to the rule.

I was all so purposefully set right as to what the difference is between Professional and Amateur. The Pro is paid and Amateur is not. From what we've seen so far in rF2 content, there are Amateurs in the comunity that should be Pros and the reverse. It takes as long to do a bad job as it does to do a good one. Rushing doesn't save time, it waists it.

I for one really hope that Studio 397 100% scratch built content will improve 100 fold over what we've seen so far and really show what rF2 is really capable of graphics wise as well as the rest.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

If they include any recent content in the planned DLC I'm sure the car models will be a lot better, simply because I remember seeing preview screenshots of GT500 posted in summer 2013. It means development probably started somewhere in 2012, so it took 4(!) years or more to release this car. By that time the graphical standards and GPU power has increased massively, so as long as we don't have to wait 4 years with S397 for a car to go through the entire development process, it should be more or less fine.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

You notice that this suggestion was for an addition or option. It shouldn't be forced on people who prefer the "normal" sounds, but would be a nice option for those who want the helmet effect. No need to squabble over it as if it's an exclusive choice.

Woodee likes this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have no reference, just my ear. This seems to be an exciting car but I don't hear that from the cockpit. Perhaps I have been tainted by years of sims with raspy generic in-car noises. When I first posted about the car, the in-car sound jumped out at me. Is the sound wrong? That I cannot say. I just want a little more. Will it stop me from driving it? Not in the least.

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

O ab
    I absolutely agree. I didn't mean to impose it as a hard coded feature for everyone.

It shouldn't be different from other options like hiding the wheel. VR users will likely prefer to see the wheel while the ones using a cockpit may prefer hiding it.

13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Can you please point me in the direction of links to these "third party FREE to use content" . That is far above ISI quality content.
    I really like some of the vanilla and mod content but some of both are pretty bad (still better than i could do , but i dont do .lol) and would like to get some of your suggested mods.

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Totally off topic Gui, but I did enjoy the track and car, the GTO I was driving had a constant flame exiting the side exhaust pipe. Like a continuous backfire. The AI cars did not have this.
    now, back on topic.
    The sound in the cockpit SHOULD be different than the sound heard from the outside. ESPECIALLY in a closed cockpit. Now I assume there are differences between cars with front engines and those that sit behind the driver with a bulkhead separating the cockpit from the engine bay. I think the loudest in-car sounds I remember watching on TV was the Aussie BMW Touring cars of the mid to late 1990's. They had soooo much transmission whine you could not hear the engine at all. I used to hope for that type of sound in a cockpit until somebody made one, BOY was it obnoxious!
    A few posts above they mentioned the URD LMP2 car. I think he meant the Enduroracers LMP2 Nissans. That sound package has vibrant exterior sounds that mesh well with the interior ones. When those cars were first released, I kept choosing one of the older open top cars, just to hear the sounds while driving. I think I will go back try the closed cockpit Nissan P2 and then load up the GT500 so I can freshly compare the two sfx.
    maybe somebody could download one of the noise level meters and see what the difference in volume is between most ISI/S397 and other mods.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It was your original suggestion I was referring to. It was respectful. Others were responding as though it needed to be one or the other or as if one was right and one was wrong.

Euskotracks likes this.
  17. RNelson

RNelson Registered

Wouldn't the in-car sound from the drivers perspective be extremely muted to allow them to communicate with their teams over the radio? So, what we are really asking for isn't what the real-life driver experiences at all. In the name of realism, we want the grunt of un-muted sound which isn't what the driver really hears. This is another version of the ffb debate where we want everything to translate through the steering wheel when, in real life, that isn't what happens.

MarcG likes this.
  18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The engine sound heard from cockpit is what should be reproduced, the additional layers of buffer such as helmet or ear pads, could be reproduced/faked at home if the user really wanted. Put on a helmet or some rolled-up cotton in them ears :p.

peterchen, MarcG and Will Mazeo like this.
  19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

The choice / upgrade to have the option of both would be a good.