gJED feedback

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by 88mphTim, Sep 1, 2015.

1. caterkiller

caterkiller Registered

I noticed 2 almost-each-time crashes :
    - When setting Real Road textures and going to layer 6 texture
    - When exporting a SCN file with a huge number of objects : the SCN file is then truncated and unusable.

Here's the Windows event file : http://ti1ca.com/6vexkb56-gjed-gjed.evtx.html

Hope you can fix it very soon because I can't trust this tool for the moment, whereas I would love to use it all the time because it's a big gain of time.

2. Radar

Radar Registered

Hi all, just tried to use gJED for the first time since building the new machine. It's running Win 10 with 980ti card so it should work fine but I get the following error;

gMotor 2 Error: "Error creating standard default shader"
    gMotor 2 Error: "Error setting video mode"

Searching the forums and found many have had this same error, tried different resolutions, tried the shared folder under Core and under ModDev, neither work.

Tried installing the SDK again, this doesn't fix it.. I've been deleting the .ini file it creates so I have a fresh one each time I change say the folder locations.. Only thing I can think of (as this was working on my old machine (Win 7) is the Steam install..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Radar

Radar Registered

Managed to get this to work (if anyone else is having troubles). If does appear to be a Steam install issue. If I install the Lite and SDK to a separate folder (D:\rFactor2_SDK for example) the gJED works fine through this locations /Core/Shared shaders.

If I point the Steam version of the gJED to the same new install location it works fine also. If I point the Steam version however to the Steams /Core/Shared/ it fails.

This may not be the case for everyone, but this was the case for myself.

Running a clean install of Win10, new install of Steam and rFactor 2, so in other words nothing in the Registry to point to previous locations etc.

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

You don't need to download SDK with Steam version, it's all there already...

5. Radar

Radar Registered

I know that, the SDK was downloaded from the site as the Steam version crashes when you point the Core/Shared folder to the steam version, however it works fine when you point it to the separate SDK install from the download page.

6. redapg

redapg Registered

I just tried it out, to see if its the same here, but it's not.
    I would suspect it's (as in many other cases) a Problem with the Windows User-Rights (UAC).
    Here the Steam GJED runs without errors (except the crashings that also the Non-Steam Version has).
    And the Shader-Path leads to the Steam-Installations ..\Core\Shared folder.

7. Radar

Radar Registered

Sad gJED didn't get an update in the recent build release. Great program, would be nice to see animations or the loop cycle animations working even ie blinking lights. Looking forward to future updates with this program.

8. SimoG

SimoG Registered

I read in a thread that lightglow objects must be set with the shader High Luminance Sun. The problem is that in the Shader's list of gJed, there isn't.

View attachment 19477

9. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

A workaround:

Make a backup of your GJED file first !!! :)

Open your project with GJED without the objects that you want to have this shader.
    MERGE an existing gmt that makes use of the High Luminance Sun shader in your project.
    Rename the Material name with the material name you're using in blender. (and assing your texture if you want)

Save the GJED file

Open your project with the objects that makes use of the High Luminance sun shader and everything is done.

View attachment 19494
    View attachment 19495

10. SimoG

SimoG Registered

I will try surely

Edit: Work perfectly

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2016
  11. Gijs van Elderen

After using GJED for a while this is a resume of some things/concerns with work arounds.

- The "Mesh select" window is the same as the Outliner in Maya (Max, blender,...) It always closes when i select a mesh/object and press OK.
    IMO: It would be better to double click to select a mesh/object and leave the window open. Better work flow.

- The Quad alignement of billboard trees doesn't get saved in the GJED file. I always need to select the billboard mesh (above "problem") and click on the "1" before export. ==> View attachment 19508

- Texture filtering doesn't work as it should (set trilinear and rF2 will use the user setting): I've set 16x in the nvidia profiler for GJED and Dev mode at the moment

- Some shaders are missing in the list. (import/merge an existing .gmt that makes use of the missing shader.)

- Real road shader: Assign the 7th texture and GJED crashes: Click on the refresh button first, then assign the texture.

12. Gijs van Elderen

An other thingy.

When i switch tracks in GJED: Reset Cache. (Just to be save)

View attachment 19554
    [​IMG]

Reason for this is because some stuff off the previous track are applied on the new track i'm loading in GJED.
    I've notice this with my track. It doesn't have the reflection mappings set yet. And the reflections mappings from the previous track were applied on my track and GJED would crash when exporting the .scn file. I needed to manually remove the reflection mappings and save the GJED file... Reset Cache and open my track again and check if the reflection mappings are gone.

Maybe it's just because i have no reflection mappings set. But just to be save i Reset Cache if i want to load another track. If it's the same track i don't need to do this.

I don't consider this as a bug. Just i thing you'll need to know. :)

13. Gijs van Elderen

Question:

The "Deformable=True" for realroad surfaces. Is it requiered?

Because it can't be done with GJED. GJED will do strange things if you tag the racesurface d
    eformable. However: In dev mode the real road is working as it should without the deformable tag. :)
    Note for cars: tagging the defomable tires as deformable in GJED works without strange things.

Same thing with the Pit and Xsector planes.
    "Response=VEHICLE,PITSTOP" : It's not an option in GJED, But on the other hand. The sector planes, pitin and pitout are working as it should in dev mode.

Will it be different in game?

14. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Yes, if you dont tag your RaceSurface_XXXXX as "deformable=true" the realroad won't respond to the cars running on. gJed does nothing with realroad shader, but you can see it working in the executable ModDev core.

I suggest to create a auxiliar text file with all tags inserted if gJED is not able to:

Instance=RaceSurface_01
    {
    MeshFile=RaceSurface_01.gmt Deformable=True CollTarget=True HATTarget=True
    }

You'll have to insert the tags manually just once, after that you copy and paste to the true SCN file after export your objects. The same goes for XPITIN XPITOUT tags (Response=VEHICLE,PITSTOP) and Xsectors and Xfinish (Response=VEHICLE,TIMING), once you have the instance correctly tagged in your auxiliar TXT it's a matter of copy and paste.

15. Gijs van Elderen

In dev mode those tags are not required and everything is working as it should.

I thought dev mode would be the same as in game. Anyway, good to know. :)
    i'll leave everything as it is until i package it.

Thanx.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2016
  16. Radar

Radar Registered

How is the development going with this tool? Will we see the new shaders in the list and various little bugs fixed in the next build update ?

17. Gijs van Elderen

FIXES:
    -------------

- Anisotropic filter setting fixed for gJED GMTs.

I've openend the FBX and (first set all BB allignments again...) Exported the whole thing. Checked the track in the scene viewer... and everything is working...
    :eek:

[​IMG]

Nvidea profile back to default and i'm using the ingame settings.

Next thing to fix... is Texture animations... :D. I can't set up the starting lights as it should. I will make a new thread about it...

18. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I seem to have consistent issues with gJED and custom shaders.

I have gJED pointing to ModDev/Shared, which is where I'm working on the shaders, unpacked in a .mas, because I'm continually editing them. Most of the time the track never loads (when trying to open from the .scn), and all I see is the plain grey background, and the ToD clock starts going. Sometimes, I'm lucky enough to get an error that says that it couldn't load a certain .gmt (I think it gets this far if I have the Viewer running already, with that .scn already open). However, when I try to load that .gmt directly, it opens fine (just without any of the instance settings).

Please let me know directly if you need any more information; I'd be happy to help out in whatever capacity I can. I'd love to see this tool developed further, but so far, it seems quite buggy/incomplete.

Thanks!

edit: just tried opening Joesville, and it does not want to even open that from the .scn.

19. Gijs van Elderen

Joesville opens fine with the default shaders.
    I don't know if it helps. But you could try to Reset Cache and the .gmenv files, delete them if you don't need them. (If you do need them keep a back up of a working .gmenv file)

gJED crashes if your doing something what you shouldn't do... This is part of the process of trail and error.

Reset Cache and restore the last working .gmenv file... And your back on track.

View attachment 20332

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2016
  20. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, no dice. I even tried removing my shaders; I pointed it to the Core\Shared (since I've got the Steam version); nada.