gJED feedback

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by 88mphTim, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

This thread it's a technical place for bug reports and feedback guys. Try to not start that huge OT on philosophy things. :)

I'm trying to collect a list of bugs from here for Joe, we really need a clean thread. Thanks.

2. stdave

stdave Registered

Ok I will post this again incase it got missed.
    There is no way to import .gen files. It is stated on the documentation page that .gen files can be imported. Theres no file filter for loading .gen files.

3. Tuttle

As far as I know should be able to open .gen files but I can't so I'll report this to Joe as a bug/limit.

Thanks.

4. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I can confirm I cannot open .gen either.

5. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

A suggestion: In materials editor maybe can add a small button ( or Right Mouse menu ) to open the texture in a predefined image editor like Photoshop. Maybe can set the path of our image editor in some preferences menu or video options.

Cheers

6. XurXiniX

XurXiniX Registered

Hello! Ok and now after all that.. can an admin, moderator, developer or someone similar to be the "father" of gJED tell us if we can open rF1 tracks if we use the correct folder and file structure? i see like the program loads the files and when shows ready i can move into different coordinates and altitude but seeing a grey screen, and I dont know if i'm making something wrong or i just can not do it. Sorry for my english it's not my native language.

Thanks in advance

7. Tuttle

No you can't import rF1 GMTs.

8. XurXiniX

XurXiniX Registered

Thank you for quick answer. Last question, have you in mind enable this in next versions of the program?

Cheers

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

This would mean anyone could RIP any rF1 track to rF2...please don't enable it!

10. Tuttle

No. People seems to think GMTs as a mesh standard, but they arent. They are output game files not intended to be imported back to a 3D editor. We are allowing rF2 GMTs import just because it is a transition phase but modders should start focusing on gJED to port .FBX into our tool to be then edited and used ingame. Thats the real purpose and goal of the tool; move away from 3d Max plugins and make people free to use whatever 3d software they want. The fbx import is the way to go. GMTs are the output, as before.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The reason for the confusion is stuff like this:

People not reading the further information think gJED is a converter.

12. Tuttle

That "conversion" he was talking about still needs a scene source, with originals 3D mesh. After that gJED is doing what the old plugin was doing, just in a way you can now setting and see things in real time and, most important, giving you the freedom of choice for the 3D software.

I'll be a broken record with this, sorry. :)

13. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I agree that the sentence of Tim was misleading since, in fact, many understood that the published content had been converted from rF1.

I don't think that someone that has developed a track for rF1 and not converted it to rF2, will now do it just because GJED exists.

How will the community then pay attention to those better looking rF1 mods if they are not the original authors? I don't get it.

What GJED does, can be done with 3dsimed where you can also convert rF1 to rF2. The only drawback is that it is not a free software. Visuals are for sure better with GJED.

So, like it or not, rF1 can and will be converted to rF2. And many of you forget about BTB users which can ONLY export to rF1. We are the original creators and need to buy 3dsimed to be able to convert to rF2.

I don't care if gmt is an output. I know it can be read and it would be a very easy and useful feature to implement.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

14. Tuttle

I find you guys are amazing! :)

Whining for years because you were forced to use 3DsMax and now that you've the tool to work outside 3DsMax... you are whining again because you want a rF1 to rF2 converter like 3DSimEd....and that's next to 2016.

Let me say I'm happy, really.

15. adamfarmer

adamfarmer Registered

This really isn't the place because it's for bugs, but the original rF1 track creators will surely still have their 3DS Max files?! If someone didn't care enough to keep them I doubt they've any interest in working on them again.

From my point of view gJED is incredible. I use Blender and had recently started a track for AC because I didn't want to work with 3DS Max. gJED has made my original goal of making an rF2 track possible again. And there's no way I would have tried to use 3DSimed (which I own) to make it! This tool is perfect in so much as it allows non 3DS Max owners to make 2015 standard tracks for rF2.

(when all the bugs are ironed out!!)

16. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

gJED or rFactor bugs?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm just pointing out why people think gJED is an rF1 converter. I know it isn't, but the fanfare around gJED made it sound that way if you didn't read the whole story. Don't shoot the messenger!

18. adamfarmer

adamfarmer Registered

I meant gJED bugs.

Further to an earlier post of mine... Setting up the scene in the Cycles render engine does actually work - and works well - because if using the Blender Render engine the first Texture name is appended to the Material name which causes problems.

What seems to work for say the road is to create some road and call it racesurface_01, create a material and call it road_trackmain_wet. Set up your 3 separate UV unwraps and rename them 1,2 and 3. Then export using 6.1 FBX (you don't technically even need to apply a texture). Import into gJED and the mesh will be grey, click on it then Materials and you will see road_trackmain_wet but with no shader applied - choose Real Road shader and set up as per the rF2 tutorial. The road will be almost white whilst applying all the textures, but save, then re-open REMEMBERING to tick the three boxes - and the road looks correct.

19. Tuttle

Adam, just to let you know actual internal version has those 3 load options checked by default, so you don't have to worry about since it is a very important setup for the workflow. :)

Also we now have realtime texture swap/reload, to check textures changes in real time, without closing gJED and to load different versions of the same texture to check which is the one working better. 90% of the bugs reported over here has been fixed already. :)

Keep reporting! :p

20. stonec

stonec Registered

Certainly it would be largely helpful to have the GMT conversion ability (rF1 and rF2 GMT format are quite similar, so if it reads one, it would intuitively seem easy to make it read the other one). Most of the content for rF1 was modded between 5 and 10 years ago. I can assure you that very few people spend their lifetime doing this kind of hobby, most modders have moved on to focus on work or family life since then. I've had very little success contacting the original modders of tracks. And even if they were around, I'd imagine a lot of 10 year old content will never be found or has been wiped from HDDs. So please consider this option again ISI. My last post regarding this topic. :)