gJED feedback

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by 88mphTim, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

All the more reason for people to start making ORIGINAL content.... there are no excuses, no plugins to get in the way. Find a track, make it... use gJED to polish it up! :) Plus with Race Track Builder becoming better and better, it has never been "easier" to create content.

What's the point having ANOTHER generation of conversion after conversion.

Check out racingcircuits.info ..... plenty of places to choose.

2. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Your arguments are very weak IMO. You talk like another fanboy that is excited with new tools GJED and RTB.

Why does everybody have to take your way? How many scratch tracks have you made before recommending others to do so? I really think you have no idea of the amount of time it requires. A lot more compared to making a conversion as ISI proved with Sardian Heights ....

I repeat again ... The only complete software for making tracks is BTB from the same author of RTB which still is far from being at the same usability level. I own both and I can compare.

BTB only exports to rF1. What is your solution for this? You didn't propose any when I asked before. Those tracks are original content for their authors.

If I get permission from the author of an original track to convert to rF2 and the original project has been lost, we cannot go for it?

With the proposed scheme, original author apart from giving permission shall export to fbx upload it to the Internet. If it was hard to get permission before, this makes it much worse. And if the original project has been lost, bad luck!!!

The argument about not including rF1 export argumenting ripping issues is stupid itself since rF2 gmts and scns are importable!!!!. So I guess ripping rF2 is fine since all the required tools are offered by ISI: mas2.exe + GJED.

And I repeat again 3dsimed does convert from rF1 to rF2. 3dsmax can do it as well. WHY NOT GJED?

SUMMARY

-Easy to implement.
    -Useful for BTB owners
    -Useful for granted conversions to avoid bothering the original author with extra work or when origonal project has been lost.
    -Already reads rF2 format so copyright issues are no excuse.

Enviado desde mi SM-G130HN mediante Tapatalk

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

<cough>

4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

From now every post not related to gJED and its REAL functionality, will be removed by me.

If you want gJED to make coffee, adding powa to your car, playing random songs for your workouts... or importing clouds to make fresh water, let's post your thoughts in a different place, thanks.

5. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Ontopic. Gjed feedback.

- Material selection: Although the "pick from selected objects" is good and I would not drop it, it would nice if right click would enable object/material selection similar to 3dsimed.
    - it is not possible to know which is the selected material. Only objects are highlighted.
    - got a crash while swapping from one material to other from the selected material window. Going up to the main level and selecting works OK.

- Exiting the program by hitting ESC without confirmation is very unpleasant. All work done during the session can be lost by accident.

Enviado desde mi SM-G130HN mediante Tapatalk

6. caterkiller

caterkiller Registered

Hi guys. Feedback on v0.844, with a few wishes :

- Bug when multiple selecting objects to try to give them the same properties, example for casting shadows. Would be very useful for buildings and trees for example.

Object 1 casting shadow OK

[​IMG]

Object 2 casting shadow : OK

[​IMG]

Both objects selected casting shadows : NOK !

[​IMG]

Then if you select again one of these objects and try to play with caster properties it does nothing. You have to reopen the SCN again. Other objects still react normally. Bug was also present in 0.840.

- Request : is it possible to change weather or have a slider to adjust rain ? It would be very helpful to set the reflection mapper because with a shiny weather you dont see the result at all without launching rF2, set weather on rain and test... This would be a huge gain of time.

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

For someone who's a complete idiot at track modding (I can change textures, that's about it...) I'm wondering if I should try to get into this tool.

1) Will this allow me to improve tracks by adding shadow casting to objects which don't have it? A lot of conversions look bad because they are shadow-less.

2) Can I place objects with it, for example Marshalls?

Thanks guys.

8. caterkiller

caterkiller Registered

1) Yes, as you can see in my screenshots.
    2) No, it's mainly a material editor. 3DSimed is more indicated for this. But 3DSimed doesn't show correctly what the track really looks like in rF2.

I use both : gJed to make my tests, 3DSimed to really edit.

9. caterkiller

caterkiller Registered

Another very annoying bug : when the windows is resized, specially when using Aero Snap function, most of the time the 3D is not redrawed.
    The interface is OK, but you then have a grey window like if you have not opened your SCN file yet.

10. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

How do I load the GDB values in the Gjed? I'm messing with latitude and longitude parameters and it looks like the sun doesn't change the position based on GDB values.

11. caterkiller

caterkiller Registered

Still having a lot of crashes with gJed. Specially when trying to export the SCN and GMT files.

I also had a crash when switching from one layer to another when I was tuning textures layers for my real road material. It seems that gJed doesn't like when I put the "blank.dds" texture for layer 6.

12. KASCII

KASCII Registered

This is the export screen from 3DSimEd. All of the FBX exported formats were loadable by GJED.
    View attachment 18215

In each format the rotational center of the object I imported appears to be somewhere 100m behind my object in the attached images. Being that far behind my object this makes navigation next to impossible.
    D Key rotation
    View attachment 18216

A Key rotation
    View attachment 18217

I’m not sure what happened to my object’s pivot point? The result is the same whether I swap the Y & X axis in either the 3DSimED exporter or the GJED importer.

Also, I’m not a fan of keystroke navigation. For navigation, I’m used to Blender 3D. In Blender when holding the MMB (middle mouse button) and dragging in any direction the view can rotate around an object. Also when holding the MMB in conjunction with the shift-key, dragging the mouse will side-scroll in the direction of the mouse drag.

In trying out the FBX exporter in Blender 3D but the problem of the object's pivot point is still present. Not sure of the version of FBX files it's exporting to, although I believe the Blender exporter is still an Alpha?

I've not modded for rF1 or rF2 yet, but in the past my workflow included Blender->Collada->3DSimED.

Note: I just checked models which were exported from both Blender and 3DSimED to the FBX format, and when loaded into Autodesk's FBX converter program they appeared normal in it's viewer and was rotating around the object's center just as in the particular modeling programs. Not sure what or how any settings may need to be changed in gJed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
  13. stonec

stonec Registered

SimED has now thankfully been patched to work with gJED generated GMTs, just in case you missed.

14. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

The Shadow OUT defaults to -1.. when you select multiple objects.. edit it to the correct shadow out value.. Albeit it is still buggy as reloading later doesnt re-show the shadows.. even though the atributes are set.

15. stdave

stdave Registered

Originally Posted by stdave
    Ok I will post this again incase it got missed.
    There is no way to import .gen files. It is stated on the documentation page that .gen files can be imported. Theres no file filter for loading .gen files.
    As far as I know should be able to open .gen files but I can't so I'll report this to Joe as a bug/limit.

Thanks.
    I'm just enquiring if there is any progress on being able to import .gen files. This is important for car editting.

16. caterkiller

caterkiller Registered

What's this "Shadow out" value ? How can I know wich value is correct ?

17. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Does anybody know why this happens to me?

[​IMG]

It is happening apparently randomly. If I re-load the SCN from the very left "open" button, sometimes the textures are loaded correctly, sometimes it keeps everything white.

18. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

For some reason the fog was crazy, being set to maximum by itself. Changed my SCN parameters and it fixed.

19. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

I can't open .gen files? gjed version 0.844 WIP.

Wish list:
    - Undo button/list. :eek:
    - Right click to select an object/material. (Small objects are hard to select)
    - Ability to toggle "hide/unhide" or make an object visible/invisible to debug things.
    - Ability to swing around an object like the in game swing cam.
    - FOV adjustment.
    - Mouse sensitivity (doing it with windows at the moment)

20. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I just got a Surface Book to do work on. I'd like to be able to use it for some rF2 dev stuff. However, due to the crazy high resolution (3000x2000) on a 12" screen, the UI does not play well. If I have the scaling set to 200% (recommended default by Windows) the UI is totally unusable (literally). However, with scaling set to 100%, the UI is absolutely tiny onscreen, and really uncomfortable to use. With hi-resolution displays likely becoming more and more commonplace, I think this is something that will need addressing (make the UI work with scaling set in Windows).

Here's what the File->Open dialog box looks like with scaling.
    View attachment 18737

Note: The viewer UI is fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015