gJED feedback

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by 88mphTim, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

When you change a GMT propertie as "no render", it's really hidden but when you disable "no render" the object doesn't appears back.

2. Kendo1978

Kendo1978 Registered

shame you still need 3DSimed.

When Montreal was released ISI said a "total novice" had done the conversion in a few hours which seemed to imply GJed was going to be a user friendly tool that people could easily use to bring their RF1 content over.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Yup unless you magically had access to the original 3D art (which I suspect the Montreal modder had), you would still need 3DSimED to do a conversion of GMTs from rF1 to rF2 format. SimED is still a powerful tool for doing most of these things, so it's a bit uncertain to me what gJED offers above it.

4. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

From what I have understood you don't need 3dsimed. You just need to use the correct folder and file structure.

I think that ISI should create a video tutorial explaining how to do a simple conversion for less experienced users.

Brendon Pywell with RTB now and BTB before has produced very useful video tutorials that avoid many questions and frustrations.

Enviado desde mi SM-G130HN mediante Tapatalk

5. stonec

stonec Registered

If it doesn't read rF1 GMTs (which are different from rF2 GMT format), then 3DSimED is still needed. I will do test later today to verify.

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Just exported my first gmt file in gJED (some billboard trees) but I can't open it in 3dSimEd? Can anyone confirm this?

7. Kendo1978

Kendo1978 Registered

Yeah I'm holding out for some proper documentation or a vid tutorial, the Wiki page is a bit too vague at the moment.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

gJED is not merely for conversions.... that would be selling it short. gJED bridges the gap for from scratch versions that don't need to be modelled in max with their plugins 2012 or earlier.

Build a track from scratch and gJED will come into it's own. Why are people stuck at "convert this", "convert that" mentality ... think originally... and create something new. We have had years and years of the same old rehashed tracks. There are SO MANY great undiscovered tracks out there that could become our new CLASSIC SIM TRACKS! Hidden gems if you will.... just have a look at these: http://www.racingcircuits.info/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2015
  9. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

To my knowledge it does not support GMT from rF1.

10. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I've tried about 10 different files from different mods and nothing. acts like it's importing but doesn't one file gave the wrong kind of gmt error. I may be doing something wrong... but don't think so.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

What do you mean by "scratch conversion"? I tested with rF1 GMTs and it doesn't work, it complains about wrong GMT version. Surely with 99% of rF1 tracks you want to convert, there is no access to the original geometry, so this feature is kind of essential. In the ideal world people build new tracks from scratch, but that's something that takes years to finish with today's standards and very few are up to the task.

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I meant "from scratch version". Starting from a blank slate.

You sound defeatist by saying few will be able to make a track. I see it different, I see more potential for more people being able to try and make tracks than ever before.

13. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

For many people it would be a good starting point to familiarise with track modding if GJED would support rf1 gmts as 3dsimed does. All the other required files (AIW, CAM and GDB among others) are already created. They just would need to put them in the correct folder structure.

BTB users also can only convert to rF1. 3dsimed would still be required and therefore GJED would only add better visuals for final fine tunning.

As I see it, GJED will not make many users make the jump to modding since a great knowledge is still required to create content to put into it.

14. stonec

stonec Registered

I can confirm this as well, you cannot open gJED edited GMTs in SimED.

15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Don't want gJED to give anyone a chance to make shoddy rF1 RIPS. ORIGINAL content is where it will be! Step outside of the box for once people! Why be stuck in last gen when you can be making things to current gen tech. Too much reverse engineering when people can be spending the time making ORIGINAL content.

16. stonec

stonec Registered

So why then did ISI just release shoddy rF1 rip of Montreal? :) rF1 tracks can be used fine if they have high enough mesh density etc, that's why we need gJED to work with rF1 format. You can live in your dream world if you wish, but since days of feels3 (who was contracted by SimBin), there hasn't been anoyone around building high-quality original tracks for rF2. Even ISI take half a year to release a fully new track and they have two men working full time. You fail to see the complexiy of building tracks from scratch in 2015 standards.

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

No I don't fail to see it.

10 years since rF1 was released.... means rF1 content into rF2. It wasn't supposed to be something revolutionary, I think you missed the point of the whole 10 year anniversary thing.

Why make gJED backwards compatible? Encourage people to create original content is the way FORWARD.

Convert rF1 content with 3dsimed if you wish. "oh look.... ANOTHER version of Monza from 10 years ago... oh look ANOTHER version of <insert overplayed, overused track name> from 10 years ago.... you get the picture?

So what if it takes half a year. Do you think these things take 10 mins to knock up? I'm starting to learn the stuff now... release a track to myself... it'll be great fun!

18. Kendo1978

Kendo1978 Registered

I've got a few RF1 tracks I enjoy that were previously converted from GP4 and Race Driver so I am hoping to bring them over to RF2 :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Get off your cloud woodee

20. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

If it's your work, you'll have the 3D files and be able to import easily... If you're interested in porting rF1 to rF2... There are plenty of methods.