Can you drive an F1 car on the ceiling?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DJCruicky, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I already know, aero is OK. It's clearly visible that up to 90 deg. it works as should (towards surface) so with another 90deg. it will also work as should.

Yup, got confirmation - that's the reason, why we loose grip past 90 deg. They are aware of that and at some point, there will be a better implementation of track surface but that is not their top priority right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
  2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

This reminds me, I did crazy experiment in rF1 once, where I put wings that create lift to car instead of having downforce, I tuned it so that around 150kph light Kantti car had a lift off, was bit crazy thing, but indeed it was lifted off the ground, then speed decreased and it dropped to ground, not much of use for the car, but it certainly did work how I would except such to work in real world.

I think that this topic might give some ideas for ISI how to improve their engine in future so that we could re-create stunts for modern day machines, if that mod will not sell a lot copies of rF2, then I don't know what will, nobody hates stunts game ;)
    There was also Stunt car racer game and that is what was attempted to create for rF1, Hump back track is part of that project, those two are such crazy things that they would deserve a mod for sure, also such things probably allow ISI to perfect their engine further as more is found that can be improved.

3. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I think that could work still. It doesn't have any 90 degree slopes, just huge hills and banked turns, jumps and other danger. It was made for NR2003 and worked like charm.

1 person likes this.
  4. MJP

MJP Registered

Did the loop in a Spark F1, sorry for the crappy vid but whenever I try to get someting at a reasonable filesize it looks crap, if I go for reasonable quality the filesize is massive. Did want to do a slo-mo with outboard cam but fraps only does 30secs of vid, :(

No engine sounds cos I can't open the MAS file to extract it in devmode. :(

******************* update *********************

Just found out Afterburner captures videos lol, here's the SparkF3 (with sound thx jtbo) to replace the F1 vid and the related vids seem to be kosher now.

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

You don't need to extract sounds, I placed sound.mas to same folder where other car files are and then I did this addition to .sfx file and GTR has sound, should work same way with 60's cars, also most of the other stuff can be left to .mas files if .gen file is told about where and what .mas files are needed for the car:
    // NISSAN GTR FIA GT1
    // V0.41
    MASFile=nissan_gtr\1.0\NissanGTREngine.mas
    // ENGINE SOUNDS (INSIDE)

edit: Shameful people some are, in related videos I see some piracy stuff, hopefully ISI checks those out and slaps their asses...

6. oldschool1478

oldschool1478 Registered

I have not read all of the posts, so this may have already been mentioned.
    Why not make a long straight road, and slowly rotate the road 180deg. after full downforce is achieved?

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

No need to - we allready tested what we wanted to test :)

That's why I described it as a probable cause. If you connect a few facts it's almost obvious.

And of course it's obvious it's not their priority ;) At least we know this aspect of aerodynamics works properly.

8. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

A big thank you to Johannes Rojola for taking it on himself to make this test track. It was a worth while experiment.
    I gave it a good go, but like others have found, the RF2 physics aren't quiet there yet to handle upside down driving. Was fun trying but.
    Again a big thank you to Johannes, lots of rep to him.

DJ

9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I got an idea, what about if we make track from single plane elements that are tilted to 45 degree angle and are placed 1-0.1mm apart each other, you would of course need thousands of these.

Oh and another idea, I remember seeing angle in tire making tool/guide/files, I think it was 90, making new tires with 360 degrees might also work?

Edit: yeah, I remember right 90 degrees, 45 camber limit, change that to something better and it should work, quote from tire guide:
    I have a go at it after I have finished eatin.

edit2: oh yes, I need to compute tires with tgm tool, so it will be tomorrow until that is done, but if someone has machine with 4Ghz or something it could be done faster of course. How nice it would be to have possibility to run tire computing with Boinc or similar :p

10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

That is in relation to surface. Like the TGM manual says, more than 45 deg. you may need when doing 2 wheel stunts and for motorbikes :)

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

OR when putting road to million pieces that are tilted to angle but each piece so close each other than it makes smooth road, there you can have pretty weird angles, so tires should be made so that they can handle that.

Lamellar planes one after another at angle and so close each other than physics engine fails to see gaps, in practice you would be driving on edges of millions of road planes. It might be tad heavy of course, 10km is quite many 1mm gaps for example, might be bit hard for performance in max even with array command you can do it relatively easily.

12. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I have an i7 2700k @ 5ghz with 32gb of ram so can help out if you give me a link to any tools needed.

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Great, it is really simple, all you need is file I attach here and save that to rf2\ptool folder.

Then from rf2 launcher you need to go to advanced tab, write +ttool to dev mode command line, then back to simulate tab and start dev mode and tire creation tool starts.

From tire tool you can find file open box where you have to type name of tire file including .tgm extension and then hit open.

After that you need to go to bottom of menu system, sometimes it is easier to resize box bit smaller from top corner and lift it up from title bar so that you can see text run automated, pushing that button starts computing, when percent done reaches 100 you will need to save file to different name, I usually add just number to file.

Now as there are two size of tires in F1 car, it is needed to do same for other tire too.

14. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Ok cool just got back to my PC, I dont have a Ptool folder should I just create one in the Program files x86/rfactor2 folder or in the documents/rfactor2 folder? I have win7 x64 and the documents/rfactor2 folder is where all userdata, packages etc is and in program files its only core and plugins folder.

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Create it to Program files\rFactor2 folder (or where your rfactor2.exe is), that is where it looks for files, it might be that it gets created automatically when tool is ran, but can't remember, can't harm making one :)

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Has anyone done any further testing to see why the FISI is able to stick to the side wall of the tunnel even when it isn't going anywhere? This should not be possible in reality as there is no force that should be pushing it against that wall, only gravity pushing car down towards the bottom of the tunnel. My last test I was able to park the FISI at the 90 degree mark and the car would hardly move at all towards the ground.

17. martymoose

martymoose Registered

For some reason as soon as I open the tgm file and then scroll down the app crashs, I dont think my ptool folder is in the right directory I have tried putting it just about everywhere but same result. It doesnt seem to be loading the file properly from what I can tell. My UAC is disable Ive tried the root directory where the rfactor2.exe is and most folders but keep getting the same result.

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Have you tried not creating the folder and just use ptools to see if it creates the folder itself?

19. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Ok I deleted my folder and just saved a file to see where the folder was it created a folder called pTool and I was just making ptool so all good.

20. martymoose

martymoose Registered

looks like it will take a while so i will just leave it running and post the completed files here once done. Its pretty late so I need some sleep.