Assetto corsa ,,,,

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Kek700, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

I am actually baffeled even more when i saw people who's knowlidge i appreciate, defend caster usage for better ffb.

Perhaps a simple fake caster slider for ffb purposes in game would solve this dilemma?

Tweaking those controler files is so much work. Having a controller file open in notepad++, tweaking it and reloading it to game as you make setup for the car. And usually at some point this method crashes rf2.
    And i have been doing this controller file tweaking since rf1 times, and continued since the release of rf2. Still it is lot of work for me, even when i have a clue about what im doing, in terms of how i want the ffb to be like.

It simply reduces the amount of cars i drive in the game. I wont bother for a car that doesnt excite me in some way..

But i cant compromise by increasing caster for ffb purposes. I just cant. It is against everything i know about setting up a car. All the study about the subject thrown away. Thats how i feel about it.

Maybe a simple poll: "do u use caster for ffb purposes?" in rf2 general dicussion section, would give the devs some idea how widely this method is used.. Im sure they would want the caster setting to be used for the purpose it is there for...

Edit. Poll created, submit your answer here:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/caster-setting-usage-for-better-ffb.61107/

And lts leave this thread for AC ;)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Louis likes this.
  2. Louis

Louis Registered

im ok with that but my answer wasnt related to caster discussion
    Its because i played ac yesterday after ages not messing with it and i found that ffb per car awesome to have in rf2.
    G27 user here and i love rf2 ffb to open wheels but sometimes i got too many ratling on rumble strips apart the ffb feeling great on road.
    Besides that, i wasnt able to find a good g27 settings to open wheels in ac (found pretty decent for "closed wheels", road cars.... I dont know how to call). So if someone knows good g27 settings for Ac that match rf2 openwheels ffb standards, please share

3. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I just had to go back to the original post and see what started this conversation and I to laugh out loud.
    I am, supposed to be, the only one with problems...... according to the guys in the AC forum.
    ......shakes head

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The latest blog from Aris about Tires is a great read, here's what I posted elsewhere:

That was very informative in so many areas, yet at the same time very familiar to me with my experience of watching (V8)Supercars over the years when talking about low pressures = damage, slicks on wet surfaces, wets on drying surfaces etc etc
    Also the following responses from Aristotelis in the thread paved the way to further understanding of how much effort the Kunos team have put into the Sim, a better understanding of the Dynamic Track and the good fact that AI use the same Tires as us.

What I do like is the approach is to force the Drivers to understand the Setup changes with relations to the Tire in a more Realistic way and not with 101 HUDs/Apps telling you what even NASA couldn't tell you!
    Since going to VR I've even done away with the most basic HUD information (never used detailed anyway) and that has opened my eyes to the actual realism of setting a car up properly, by driving it and "feeling" what is going on, then using MoTeC if needed just as any driver would when he/she returns to the pits.

I think this area has been over abused with HUDs/Apps in recent years and Sim Racers have effectively become lazy, instead of Learning the proper way they're learning through fake methods which in turn doesn't actually teach them anything, they in turn think they're fast when in reality if you threw them in a car with no Information they'd be lost.

Basic information essentially forces you to better understand what's going on, why making a ride height change of 0.1mm makes such a big difference, why lowering tire pressures by 0.5psi on the front left helps in some corners and throws you off in others. All these minute changes can have a massive effect on the driving and that is where the driver should be learning about the car, not in some real time App - concentrate on the feeling and you'll learn better that way.

I can tell I am going to thoroughly enjoy this title and the progress through Early Access, Kunos know what they're doing and they do it well.

Ernie, Mister Bronze and Mibrandt like this.
  5. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

all games uses such physics mate
    for me the big deal will be Rain physics and Aquaplaning behavior plus the Wet physics that i dont like so much in assetto corsa atm
    i hope for a big improvement as well

6. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I don't feel much when I change tire pressures. I even tried lowering one front tire while increasing the other and the car still drives straight in every sim. For me, sims in general need much more detail.

Nielsen and patchedupdemon like this.
  7. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Real cars do. I had 10 psi in one of my fronts (the other was 18 as it should be) on my Caterham and didn't feel anything.

8. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Probably nothing comes to your steering wheel but it doesnt mean that different tire preassure doesnt affect car behavior.

Louis and ApexModding like this.
  9. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

I agree fully with you here.
    Thats the reason its rather exiting if the ACC tire and physics hype is more than hot air.
    Because if they are able to distinguish between the mentioned advanced springs and tire params - and nail the car behaviour dependent of them :) - then they will be much ahead of the current status of other racing sims development level.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  10. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

To me those blogs don't mean much until I get to try the game. Reminds me of all the scientific talks on PCars2 and that game drives like sh*t. Of course, I'm not comparing ACC with PCars2 but I don't get too excited about all the talking.

Louis likes this.
  11. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

You are right.
    Talking about the pudding doesnt mean a thing.
    Its the eating that proves things:)

Hehe it reminds me of iRacing.
    After spending 5+ years in that sim hearing/reading all Kaemmers BS about how incredibly advanced iRacings tire model was/is - and every day being able to actually feel how lousy this joke of a tire model does behave on the track.
    So Im looking forward to be able to "taste" ACC :)

12. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I will support Kunos for sure. A very exciting time for sims indeed. Hope they add something no one has thought of so far?:)

mesfigas likes this.
  13. Louis

Louis Registered

If rf2 doesnt exist, i could play Assetto Corsa and like it a lot.
    Just tried 1988 McLaren in both platforms and, despite nice graphics of AC, i cannot play after playing rf2. I tried. No matter settings. Maybe with a new steering wheel i will try again but now is impossible.
    edit: welcome to 2013

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    fsuarez79, vegaguy5555 and mesfigas like this.
  14. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

There must be an inside joke with AC? And unless you're a good moder or coder AC falls short of rF2.

Louis likes this.
  15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Kunos are not going to talk down their own sim, marketing machine has been going on for a while now
    I'll give ACC a miss but I'll read feedback

16. Emery

Emery Registered

Depends on the tire construction vs. the car weight. Modern race tires which are made to withstand high downforce are not going to be load sensitive, so the car is very likely going to drive straight until the tire is nearly flat. Same with many street tires that have stiff sidewalls, where a 300-pound gorilla can sit on an unmounted tire and it doesn't collapse.

Do that with old 2-ply or 4-ply bias racing slicks, however....

What the tire pressure differences will do, however, is add excessive heat and then the tire eventually delaminates or you notice the lack of grip.