Assetto corsa ,,,,

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Kek700, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Na, I didn't set up anything, just jumped into career mode and drove each next event that was there. Up to that point the variation seemed right (think a time trial was silver, so tried again and got gold, then raced and seemed to go fairly well, albeit losing to faster model cars). Then on the next track my time trial result and the race experience (both on the same track, I'm pretty sure) were poles apart. Maybe with more playing it would have all balanced out and felt ok, but as a one-off playing experience it was pretty offputting. Maybe I'm just too used to old-school levels, like the old NFS Porsche Unleashed which seemed pretty consistent. Except for a night time trial I remember struggling a lot to beat...

2. Filip

Filip Registered

Of course there are different experiences but yours are in minority. There is so much more to tweak in rf2 than in AC. Which is normal as it has more options and is more configurable.

Try doing poll on some general sim racing site which is "more consistent and easier to dial in". I know the results ;)

3. Louis

Louis Registered

4. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

new ui is gonna be like fresh air
    have faith

Louis likes this.
  5. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

@Filip
    Asking questions in unrelated threads and I also asked a question here about rF2's 'canned effects' I thought was Stefano don't forget...... So don't get me angry because I might ask a question......

But seriously. I was told there was nothing wrong with AC's physics since tire mod 5. I just didn't know how to drive. Now low speed skid is a known issue. In the meantime I got rF2, which has less traction and is more challenging to drive and all of a sudden I could drive quite well.
    I know nothing is perfect but just don't knowingly tell me something that is not true or I will keep asking questions.

And since this is an AC thread I do in fact like AC. There is a real good feel to it but I think it needs a lot more physics detail in general when compared to sims like rF2. Having said that AC is worth getting and can be a lot of fun.

But I did have to find a lot of settings tricks in ini files all over the web to help with mostly latency. The AI was so bad at one point it would pull in behind while catching your back bumper crashing you into a wall but of course it was just my imagination and stop asking questions about it..... Right?

I ask questions here in rF2, Project Cars, Real Race Room and RD without any issues just answers to some degree.

6. Filip

Filip Registered

But you were really repetitive (don't want to use harsher word) and imo rightfully banned. Just like another forum user here on this forum who was I believe also banned because he was asking same questions and writing mega posts on unrelated threads.

Btw what low speed problem in AC? Can you point me to devs post?

7. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I can't get into AC forum anymore so I can't look but I have read about people talking about it on other forums lately like it's common knowledge. I would imagine if you bring it up in the AC forum you would be met with childish pictures ment to discredit you?
    And it was this kind of behavior that kept me digging for an answer and re-explaining myself.

One of the last questions Stefano answered for me was all setups will work the same as in his office. If that were really ture then what is the point of getting an expensive direct drive wheel then?
    He said everyone would looking for tips to make AC work better.
    I'm thinking 'that's what the forums are for".
    The forums are not for misleading new people and making fun of them.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  8. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

i would have never believed that im here to defend assetto corsa :D but i know what you mean by low speed slip in ac.
    imo, the low speed slip is prominent only with high caster, stiff setup and (too?) high tire pressure or in most cases sum of all before mentioned.
    im NOT sayin it's perfect, not even close but i can understand why high caster and stiff setup/high tire pressure causes that in AC. in AC the cars seem to need quite a bit of roll (weight to out side tires) to get good turn in capabilities.

mostly i think the low speed slip is due high caster. and when you think about it, in slow speed corners you usually turn the wheel (and thus the tires) more than in high speed corners, and with high wheel angles the contact patch gets really small when there is considerable amount of caster.

i compensate this by letting the car roll a bit more in corners. also, on braking, you have to let the nose dive (perhaps too much in AC?) enough to keep weight on the front tires. as you lift off the brakes progressively, you notice as the nose raises back from braking, THAT is the moment when the slip starts to occur. especially if the wheels are all ready turned in to the corner at that moment.

like i said, it is far from perfect, but i still have to drive well, and according to all the "rules" of racing technique to get good laptimes.
    and since i had to put my USB 3.0 expansion card to PCI-E 3.0 slot for the rift to work properly, i lost half of my PCI-E bus width, and you know what that does for rf2 with triples or VR:rolleyes:
    That said, AC looks soooo good in VR:) that im not that sorry about not being able to play rf2 atm. (well i can..but dont want to lower graphical settings THAT much).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Louis likes this.
  9. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Rf2 suffers from the same low speed slip, but I don’t know to what extent is compared to ac as I’ve never played ac,

mesfigas likes this.
  10. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

same reasons for the slip in rf2 too, but in rf you have more ways to compensate it with setup as the "clicks" are of smaller increment and usually the is more setup options.

and another thing that still manages to boggle my mind: people have nasty habbit of increasing the caster to "make ffb better"! zeees, it's not there for THAT purpose:confused:..

11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

low speed slip is by far more natural in RF2 than any other game

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  13. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

sure it affects steering torque, but the increased steering torque is a side product of the increased caster. you DONT use caster values when setting up a (real) car to make the steering feel stronger, duh.
    therefore the fake caster for non DD so it wont be needed to change (mess it up) in the CAR setup, and still get decent ffb strenght.

in short, if your steering inputs feel nervous and difficult to aim (to the apex) on corner entry, lower the (caster) value.
    if it feels unstable and hard to control on corner exit, increse the value.
    naturally compensate the changes in camber and toe if needed.

ApexModding likes this.
  14. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

YES because of the better tire model. especially when the car is bounching, ie the contact patch surface area is very alive, the benefits of the dynamic rotating and flexing tire model are very noticeable.

if it feels bad, thats because of too high caster, too high tire pressures, too stiff suspension or all of the above (wouldn't count out too high camber values either). takes time to make the setup right in rf2, which IS awesome!!!
    in assetto corsa i can pretty much use the same setup everywhere, which i dont mind atm cause i have very little time to race due work and other stuff. but i shouldn't be able to do that really...

Rui Santos likes this.
  15. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Of course in real life caster wouldn't do that, but for the sake of a game... it made the once crap f2 feel like a real steering rack. I manipulate caster to get stronger aligning torque that's all...

16. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

it would. it has the same effect in real car too, but it's not used for that obviously.
    And I understand the point of making FFB feel better with higher caster angle. but it should be last resort. There are other ways to do that:

In controller json:
    - try increasing "Steering resistance coefficient" (mine for -76 March is: 0.19997)
    - try increasing "Steering resistance saturation" (mine for -76 March is: 0.19999)
    - try increasing "Steering spring coefficient" (mine for -76 March is: 0.048)
    - try increasing "Steering spring saturation" (mine for -76 March is: 0.55)
    - play with "Steering torque zero-speed mult to get slip resistance right (understeer)
    - with higher values in the first 4 needs very exact "Steering torque minimum", meaning you propably dont get it right with the in game adjustement (too big steps), so do it in the controller json aswell.
    - With "Steering torque sensitivity" you can adjust fairly well when the understeer slip becomes noticeable. start changing 0.005 at the time
    - with these kind of values, i've noticed it's better to use high Wheel FFB setting (115% in my G27) and use lower in game values (0.4-0.7)

Otherwise with too high caster angle, you end up having a car that's hard to aim to apex (really nervous and not linear feeling steering) and timing to turn the wheel has to be right to the hundreth of a second).
    And a really easy car to aim out of the corner (usually makes most drivers shooting out of the corner with oversteer power slide, which cost you time).

I have controller json file for every car that i drive. usually can use 1 of two files (of which either is close enough to start to build dedicated to certain car) that i modify just a bit. I have heard said that so little difference (decimal changes) are unnoticeable but i beg to differ.

Best of luck if you decide to fiddle with these settings;)

***DISCLAIMER*** These Controller settings are for rf2, Not for Asetto Corsa!
    Wrong thread i know, but since we were talking about caster used for FFB here...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    vegaguy5555, Seven Smiles and Emery like this.
  17. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

That kind of explains why zeroing out alignment in AC feels better?

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Not sure if messing with JSON is really a better solution than just adding caster. For example "steering spring coefficient" is an artificial wheel centering spring effect, which is even less realistic than a true force from caster. And the "steering torque minimum" setting is meant to compensate for dead zone or moment of inertia from weight of the wheel frame, so it's only supposed to be set once for each new wheel.

patchedupdemon, LokiD and Louis like this.
  19. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

so you've tried it?
    and steering torque minimum has to be changed when overall ffb strenght is changed.
    say you have overall ffb strenght (ingame) 0.90, and you have set minimum so that it doesnt oscillate but has no deadzone either (which is the way it is supposed to be set) and you increase it to 1.30 you will notice that oscillation starts to happen. so you will HAVE TO chance it accordingly.
    you really souldn't say stuff that you havent tested just out of opinion.
    secondly, if you are willing to sacrifice car behaviour over more powerfull ffb, be my guest.

And i know messing with these settings is "opening a pandoras box" and it takes a lot of work to find the sweet spot when everything is balanced (all forces are felt and in harmony), and on top of that, changes in car setup might steer you off of the harmony, so it is truly a PIA.
    BUT perfection in everything requires a lot of work.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  20. Louis

Louis Registered

what i want from assetto corsa in rf2:
    - adjust ffb per car during gameplay (slip, rumble strips, gain, road feel settings)
    - graphic quality through windscreen (only)
    - loading times

mesfigas and Kelju_K like this.