Released GT3 Update and (v1) BOP

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

the veh-files of custom skins must be edited

2. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

you will need to edit the custom skin .veh file , in that .veh file you will need to point to correct sound file for that car.

3. SnZX

SnZX Registered

Hello everyone.
    This is not a criticism or anything, just a simple question, but is this the right ABS for the new GT3? When I turn it down the front and rear tires scream/lock and when I turn it up the damn big kickback attacks my hands. Also, in an interview with some GT3 drivers said, "Basically, I rely on the ABS, so I don't lock the car much" However, this update seems to be just a little bit more demanding.

4. nounoubleu

nounoubleu Registered

I could only do a quick try of the Merc with the new tyres 2 days ago and faced the same issue. I was planning to open the hood of my skins.mas tonight.
    But usually sound name doesn't change. Did it change this time?

5. Simulation_Player

yes it did change this time, because gt3 cars are now using new sound engine. i believe old file was .sfx and new sound file is .json iirc.
    you just need to extract .veh file of new version car, and see what sound file it refers to.

nounoubleu likes this.
  6. Simulation_Player

i can't tell if "kickback" ffb is real or not but im pretty sure that at lower values the wheel should lock even with ABS. because IRL TC and ABS are not perfect like they usually are in games/sims, so with new TC and ABS physics i think RF2 is trying to get imperfections of real world TC and ABS. So you still rely on them but never 100%

7. nounoubleu

nounoubleu Registered

It makes sense . But strangely I did'nt have any issue with the Oreca.

8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Owen Pyrah and pkelly like this.
  9. Simulation_Player

probably because old sound file wasn't removed.

10. Simulation_Player

that methodology of getting balance is bit problematic imo, increasing front ride height increases drag and lowers overall downforce. if u want more rear end grip lower the rear if it isn't at lowest already and/or increase the rear wing. The drag cost is very low for rear wing.
    1-2 clicks less rear wing will hurt the grip more than give u more top speed.
    so on most circuit even at spa more wing will be faster and better imo, its not like that these cars hitting 300 + km/h anyways. their power is too low and top speed is too low for drag to really come into play , atleast thats with my testing.
    with car like fpro u got lots of power and high top speed , this is where even smallest drag change make bigger difference.

Owen Pyrah and pkelly like this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What version are you running? That almost sounds like the 1st attempt at a new UI from several years ago.

12. instinkt

instinkt Registered

tested only Aston, M4 and Merc
    overall changes are nice, that protection is annoying sometimes but nothing undrivable
    but I still don't like Merc, ffb is much more noisy in annoying way compared to these other 2 cars

and these leds looks little bit weird and I don't understand why they are placed so randomly in Aston I literally don't see them because my hud covers them :confused:
    especially weird since Aston had these leds on the dashboard previously, similar to GTE car and they were placed in ergonomic place so I don't understand why they just weren't "connected" to the system instead got replaced by these weird ones

edit
    M6 have it in even weirder place, lol
    especially when dashboard is HUGE and flat so easilly could be placed there like in most other cars

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My "GUESS" would be they implemented a 'once-size-fits-all' type of approach. I haven't yet locked in the difference between abs & TC, one is blue, one is yellow, I'm just going to have to expose myself more to the leds (yikes!) so brain muscle memory takes over.

14. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

ABS is yellow, and I find it quite helpful as a visual lockup indicator. I tend to reduce ABS / TC to the point where they can keep me out of big trouble, but still allow me to feel when the tires are breaking traction. The lights can really help with finding optimal settings, control and consistency.

pkelly and davehenrie like this.
  15. richirichi

richirichi Registered

Hi guys, it’s probably been mentioned, but every single custom skin has disappeared since the update, is there a solution? Also, I’m experiencing what most find, extremely unstable rear end, with massive tendency for (lift off) oversteer, generally I completely detach the rear ARB, dial up the front ARB a couple of clicks, & increase preload a couple of notches, which I often did before the update as well with all GT3 cars to get them stable. I find both Mclarens & the BMWs to be the most stable, currently.

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Your custom skins are probably back in the previous folders. You need to move the .mas (& .veh) files still in the old folder to the newest version.(currently v3.53) This will have to be done each time S397 releases a new version of any car, We can expect at least one more update when the official release occurs. Also some users have stated the sound has been lost on cars with custom skins. That is due to the entire GT3 fleet getting updated to use the new Sound Engine. If that occurs, each .veh file will have to be edited to point to the new sound file, however I don't know the names of the new files.
    Possibly some feedback left at the painter's download sites could encourage them to update their downloads to work with the new sound engine.

Reiche likes this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I was quite unimpressed by tires/car handling at first while testing in Nurburgring "no chicane" circuit. I don't know if it was just because first impressions are often unreliable or there is just something wrong with track grip physics in there, because on second track in VIR I liked the car a lot. I used later Audi model. Default setup, just turned TC off for more fun, soft tires and minimum pressures to mimic how it would be in serious races in rF2.

I think in VIR I still felt car a bit washy, soapy (quite a bit less comparing to Nurburgring), but it was about there close to my reality expectations. That soapy lack of bite seems to be more pronounced at lower speeds, so it tells it must be more related to mechanical grip factors. At high angles car seems to be quite out, which is very realistic IMO. At lower angles and even more so + at lower speeds feels like car can be driven very abruptly, I would expect there would be more tire bite at lower speeds, and tire slides would start and end quicker. Also as always before cars seems to be quite immune of longitudinal traction loss while just simply flooring accelerator. I am yet to try medium tires and hard tires, perhaps they would be closer to my expectations.

I like that soft tires on Audi has more rational tire wear for soft compound. IMO.

After VIR I think it is great improvement, was very happy there. For some reason couldn't feel much good stuff in Nurburgring somehow, have to test more tracks and also try more setup changes. It will be interesting to see onboards of aliens.

Edit: I like experience at Brands Hatch. Tried other compounds. Mediums seemed meh... same as soft but with less grip, although tested with default pressures which are for some reason elevated. I liked Hard tires the most, most enjoyable to me, best fun, big thumbs up. Although the wheelspins from flooring accelerator is just not happening much even with hard tires (tc off), is it good like that ?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    NIsmo97_ and davehenrie like this.
  18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

OK sus'ed the Radical! Without doing anything else to setup, just raise the front ride height as far as it will go, lower rear ride height as low as it can go... Thats it, you can now turn off TC and ABS, totall different drive! As in from being an uncontrolable school child, to a fully functional PHD student, just try it. Different beats, think its to do with the recent aero changes, and out of all the GT3's, from the research ive done (plus just look at the shape of it), this is probably the most aero depentant car! Even without wings and splitters, the bodyword of this car is doing so much!

pkelly and Danny Vincent like this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you're referring to the last update, there was no change to the downshift RPM threshold. They've allowed a small amount of throttle (5%) whereas before it was basically none (1%?). Very little difference from a driving point of view, but more tolerant of controller issues.

GrimDad likes this.
  20. richirichi

richirichi Registered

Ok, many thanks for the reply.