Released GT3 Update and (v1) BOP

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

The values of rear wing is not actually angel of rear wing. so P0 is not actually 0 degrees.
    There are some cars that shows actual degrees of rear wing....but even then you can't be sure if it is actually the angle of rear wing.....it is just a values given to corresponding wing level.

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, I found there to be slight amount of float. I disagree though that it spoils the handling. If anything to me it makes driving easier, because it is more agreeing with classic racecars driving technique which is what I am more used to. Perhaps if you are more used to more strict on rails type of handling that sharper tires tends to require, then bit of float makes it harder to you.

You just need to get used to bit more yaw control, when car seems to yaw it actually helps to turn, especially if it is neutral steer and not an oversteer. More speed adds more aero stall due higher yaw, I still get quite a bit of yaw pushing hard through Hawthorn Bend in Brands with Audi. Happens more on slower turns, less influence from aero. This is where that sense of float comes, it is when you are past peak slip angle/ratio, but you still are in quite decent control, still keeping the pace up.

I think they should be sharper still. Aero is probably good. But tires, who can tell ? I would expect at turn like Hawthorn Bend to be very tense to keep car within 1 or maybe max 2 degrees of slip angle around peak angle. And at turn like Druids to be tense to floor the throttle before getting car straight simply because it is a bit strange to me to have full acceleration while still maintaining quite a bit of cornering while having TC off. But perhaps my expectations are incorrect.

Still cars seems to feel a ton better than before. So excuse me little nit-picking.

3. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Having a 'dead zone' can help a little... but to be clear, the gear protection 'debate' isn't about people having issue with their pedal... if that your take... you might have missed the point... which I can't blame you... it's often all over the place in forums...

it's that we can't downshift while blipping the throttle... which doesn't make sense... still don't believe any driver would want to drive a car this way in real life or in sim for that matter... but even if it's exist... it's not the only 'tunning' most of the gear protection seems to allow for blipping... thank god...

Let's not forget... that for people that use their left foot for braking... it's common to have their right foot... just within the gas pedal reach... so much so that it's natural to press it slightly... even more so in the heat of the action...
    I already had a 9% dead zone... while testing the porsche and still it was happening... Should I go to 20%... at this point It would ruin the experience... and again it's not a 'deadzone' issue anyway... it's about... 'are we allow to blip the throttle on gear protected cars?'

So let's make it very clear that not being able to apply throttle during downshifting lead to extremely weird and unnatural way of driving... possible to get use to... sure... but why would anyone choose to... is beyond me... and I'm not the only one apparently, you could watch 50 onboard vids on Youtube... you'll find almost every single car with gear protection... still allow drivers to blip the throttle (thanks god...again)... so why not choose the most natural 'form' of gear protection... especially in the context of simracing where everybody have different material and driving style... it's not like the real thing where you can tune ( I assume)... per car... per driver...
    And BTW if we really have car out their with spec that doesn't allow any blipping... what a way to destroy a car... gear protection should be about help / protecting the engine... not at the cost of destroying the experience... as a driver I would plainly boycott the car.

Having said that... a lot of basic question still remain pretty vague... at least for me... would be nice to have more infos...
    Is their a 'throttle' limitation... only a 'rev' limitation... a combination of both... on the majority of the real car implementation...? are the gear protection tunable...?... are they mandatory... per serie or per constructor?... etc...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Highlandwalker and Andregee like this.
  4. NIsmo97_

NIsmo97_ Registered

I also tend to prefer tyres with a bit more give, I like driving the oldies too but I just can't seem to comfortably use that floatiness to my advantage on the newer cars.
    Unlike the older cars/tyres, I feel the need to back off a fair bit to correct that floatiness. How easy it is to get the car to start floating versus how many corrections I need to do to keep the car in check doesn't feel quite right.

But I do still agree that almost all the GT3s are better than before, the only exception being the BMW M4.
    The GT3s felt pretty understeery and on rails before, they were manageable but felt somewhat strange. The M4 felt really good though, the tyres had bite and pushing it a bit over the limit into and through a turn felt great, no complaints there.

I know I keep bringing up the BTCC cars and the 911 GT3 Cup 992 but it's because these should be using the same tyre model and feel absolutely stellar.
    The BTCC cars, for example, should be about the same weight, if not a bit more, less aero, higher center of mass and narrower tyres but drive much more planted than the GT3s and GTEs.

5. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

The only times I'm having issues with shifting (GT3 cars) is when I'm making input mistakes (not off throttle 100% for down-shift / on the throttle for up-shift / just wrong RPM range). Now that the margin for error has been increased, I rarely have issues but, there are still cases where shifting within these parameters has not yet become second nature for me.

It may be worth mentioning possible controller behaviors where the throttle signal is jittery or slow to reach zero-point. Also consider that there are two variables involved (Raw signal / Effective or filtered signal) for each control. If not optimized, results may cause errors where the margins are not sufficient.

Another possible variable is with controller firmware. When I used Fanatec pedals, there was a case where I had controller assignment issues in rF2. The solution was to update / reinstall Fanatec firmware, whether due to some update or file corruption. Such issues can present in seemingly nonsensical ways at times, making troubleshooting challenging.

When such issues are absent, driving these cars can be quite rewarding. Adapting to the new tech is a challenge for some of us "Older folks" so, I'm pretty sure the rest of you can handle it. :p:D

pkelly likes this.
  6. JanTer68

JanTer68 Registered

GT3 DSP is not hardware issue. In the GTE funktions DSP wonderful.

Highlandwalker likes this.
  7. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Because it's not the same DSP. I think you've skipped all the explanations given.

8. JanTer68

JanTer68 Registered

And that ist my problem. Why are GTE DSP and GT3 DSP differing??

9. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Different cars and different categories maybe? Why should they not? Do you really know?

10. JanTer68

JanTer68 Registered

488 GT3 is the base for 488 GTE, also 911GT3R is the base for 991 RSR GTE. Same engines, different DSP?

11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

anyone notice that the Engine sound of BMW M4 GT3 is breaking like the car does when is about to run out of fuel ?
    a weird sound not sure if it suppose to sound like that.
    i use the headphones profile in sound settings

12. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Reported in "Bugs" forum already, along with some other car engine sounds.
    Dev's are looking into it.
    If you find something that triggers it / fixes it, please report it in the bug section.

mesfigas likes this.
  13. Havner

Havner Registered

I just launched the GT3 update and even before I started driving I honestly lack words...

Some of you mentioned the highest realism, striving for making the cars as they are in real life, official manuals, official information, working with manufacturers and then you see this. Ugly ass copy and paste TC/ABS/slip lights, same in every car. Especially when most (all?) of those cars have their own lights for this purpose.

No, instead of using them to their purpose you do the cheapest copy and paste implementation that's completely not prototypical. Wow. There go realistic dashboards. And I hoped one day to have nice dash screens. I suppose next time you're gonna update them you're implement just one and put it in every car. Exactly like you did here. Why bother?

14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

RaceNut likes this.
  15. Comante

Comante Registered

Do you know "placeholder" ? This is still a release candidate, not the official release, it is possible that if and when this feature is considered "ok" there will be proper lights placements.

16. Havner

Havner Registered

Have you seen word "placeholder" in the changelog? And do you really believe this is going to change in 10 days?

And the same with TC options. Not all cars have those TC options available. It seems that all those electronic addons (and who knows what else) are made generic throughout the whole series, not actually per car specification. This may even be beneficial for online racing but sure as hell is not prototypical and realistic according to car manufacturer information.

17. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The Light function was introduced a few builds before and has nothing to do with a release candidate

18. Reiche

Reiche Registered

I’d be surprised if there is a big variety of systems out there, both ABS and TC. For ABS take Bosch, for TC I could find Racelogic, Life Racing, I guess Cosworth could be in the mix too. Driving aids should fundamentally not be a performance separator, so within one category of cars the systems (if there are multiple options permitted, maybe there are like homologised systems?) should act in a very similar way.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

"OMG this is so wrong there's no way anyone would ever do that and I know best"

So anyway, here's a bit of info:

upload_2023-2-11_11-25-5.png

upload_2023-2-11_11-25-18.png

So, it's quite feasible, and they chose to do it in a uniform manner.

pkelly and Simulation_Player like this.
  20. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

indeed better have 2 BTCC cars with real life dashboards instead of full series with the same generic dash