Released GT3 Update and (v1) BOP

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Rear ride height is quite high on it, i found lowering it helped, and brake balance brought forward a bit tamed it

Pawel44 likes this.
  2. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I've always found the Radical to have a pretty unstable baseline setup, so im used to adjusting it quite a lot, but yes, this is definately the most unruley car I've tried so far. Locking up diff, lowering rear dampers, ride height, springs, adding more wing, and (this helped alot) lowering rear camber

pkelly likes this.
  3. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

This was a spicy read, chill out guys.

GrimDad likes this.
  4. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

I only have the Porsche. I've found myself slackening the rake off (raise front a few clicks) a fair bit to make up for the lack of subtlety in my inputs. Kept spinning the car on entry when braking aggressively. Sometimes close to midcorner on fast corners too.

Is lift off oversteer a thing for all cars in the update? If so, what is the reason behind this? Changes to aero pitch sensitivity?

I've also noticed the increased inertia. Slides sometimes last longer than they would have previously. I've also had a couple of tank slappers where before I could have just straightened the slide and fired off down the straight. I think overall the update makes me feel like less of a super hero in the car ha.

Would be interested to know if this is a common theme across the cars, what causes it and how people are working around it. Like is everyone reducing rake a bit to get some stability back?

NIsmo97_ and Simonk like this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't know how much the Porsche drove like a Porsche before, but the behaviour you're describing sounds right.

Owen Pyrah likes this.
  6. pkelly

pkelly Registered

I found the Radical setup to be very sloppy and tried a few things to get around Bathurst with minimal body damage. Still not feeling a safe drive. The Ferrari setup was also a handful there but I set a new personal best time with the Merc and Aston. Think I'll treat myself to a wee scotch:cool:

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The Ferrari with the old tires was like that and still is.. It wants to slam into the inner hillside at Forest Elbow and also uphill at the Cutting corner. I'm glad I'm not the only one...

pkelly likes this.
  8. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Yeah me too. Was feeling a right loser after the 4th time I spun myself mid corner. I think we need 'gentleman driver' baseline setups ha. I'm sure the existing setups are awesome for those who have the control.

9. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Had another go just now. Loaded up Canadian Tyre Motorsports Park, despite never having driven it before. Bloody love that track, it's full of fast corners and suits me to the ground. Anyway, it's a great test of high speed stability. Especially that long right hander at the end of the lap. You're 6th gear on entry and trailing the brakes towards where it tightens up into a left gooseneck at the end.

On stock setup I was just losing it at midcorner. Car letting go and spinning off the track. I hiked up the front by 5 clicks to 60mm front and 62mm rear. Think there's more that could be done, but this change alone transformed it for me. Gave me confidence in the front again, without fear of the back end wanting to swap all the time. A beginner's setup I guess. But I figure if you are tip toeing around an aggressive setup you're not getting the most of it anyway. So I only go more aggressive if I find myself desperate for more rotation. In this case I still have plenty.

So, being able to drive the car again I found I love it. It's a step towards ACC in terms of the weight of the car. But the tyres feel great! Something I love about rF2 is how you can feel the front load up through the wheel when trail braking. The feeling of weight transfer is brilliant. Think it must be the best 911 GT3R in sim racing now.

pkelly likes this.
  10. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Really enjoying the new tyres on these cars they give very nice feedback.
    Great job on this update.
    Thanks for the speedy fix to the Bentley 2017.

11. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Mostly i start rFactor2 then at first click it goes unwanted to Multiplayer (LAN) says "no server found" does nothing and waits for many many minutes, without reacting to any keystroke or mouse backwards click.
    Then it comes back to life, .. it is anoying. Am i the only one with this?

12. Comante

Comante Registered

Try to repair your intallation, check your file integrity, this is not normal (obviously).

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, that's just you.

You should delete the various cache and possibly shader files. rF2\Bin\Cache for starters, the less important folders in Userdata\Log, that sort of thing.

14. Pawel44

Pawel44 Registered

It was enough to higher the rear wing. I immediately get used to new driving and FFB. It's even better than before.

Danny Vincent and Owen Pyrah like this.
  15. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Yes, pushing aero balance more rearward seems necessary. To keep the rear more planted and less oversteer prone. Can get this through:
    1. Raise rear wing - increase overall downforce, but also moves the balance rearward. Adds drag too.
    2. Lower rear ride height / raise front ride height - leaves overall downforce about the same, but moves the balance rearward. Same overall grip/drag, just moving grip from front to rear.
    3. Stiffen front shocks - reduce amount the front end drops at high speed from the downforce. So reduces oversteer in fast corners, but not so much at medium speed. May also be too stiff then in slow corners.
    4. ???
    I'm not great with setting up a car. I haven't spent much time yet either. But like you, I found just changing one thing (in my case front ride height) was enough to calm down the oversteer and make the car easier to drive. Now with a similar balance to before the update, I agree it is an improvement.

In my case I adjusted the front up 5 clicks. Which is similar to dropping the rear like 10 clicks. Which is a pretty drastic change. But the final rake (60 front, 62 rear) seems reasonable. Think the stock setup was 50 front, 62 rear from memory. Making me wonder if maybe we had very aggressive rake before because the tyres/aero allowed it. And that now we are forced into more realistic rake. I don't know real world numbers, but 50/62 seems a bit extreme and 60/62 seems more like it. Maybe proper drivers would use something like 58/62.

Would be interested to hear what the main difference is and why it's made all the existing car setups very oversteer prone.

pkelly and Pawel44 like this.
  16. Havner

Havner Registered

Not sure it actually applies to the real car but in ACC:

So at least it’s consistent here. Poor default setup though.

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/the-ferrari-488-gt3.58046/

Owen Pyrah and pkelly like this.
  17. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

Chill out snowflake. Admin or not, no one should have to take that kind of shit from anyone.

marmagas likes this.
  18. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

My apologies for my earlier comment about the Mercedes.
    I just drove it and it feels like a different car. Very nice improvement!
    On the first try on release there wasn't any feel to the front end now it feels way better.
    Did you change something?

rpm on downshifts seems exactly the same to me. How much did it change?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  19. JERACERX

JERACERX Registered

I found a bug with the Porsche and Merc that custom skins on them don't have sound, the Merc has no sound whatsoever, and the Porsche only has gear whine

20. Patrick Schindler

Patrick Schindler Registered

Me and my team also tested some cars at Daytona. Honetsly I'm a bit disappointed. Some cars are now really difficult to drive on the limit. In some cases I would say nearly undriveable. Even after setup changes.

The new Audi has a crazy Lift-of-Oversteer now. Even with full Preload, zero rake, hard spring in the front and soft spring at the rear, Stiff ARB at the front and Soft ARB at the rear. I was able to do a 43.9 (max 43.7) with full tank but I didn't think I would survive more than 5-6 laps with it.
    Not as bad it is with the Bentley 20 but there's also a sudden loss of rear grip, when trailbraking hard and deep into a slow corner. Here the most unusual thing was the acceleration out of slow corners. I used TC4 with Cut 4 and Slip 6 and out of T2 and the car just wants to kill you when pushing the throttle. We think it has to do with the angle of the wheel, cause the effect occurs when the wheel to some extent. It feels really weird so I assume that maybe there is something wrong with the physics. My best lap was 43.6 full but nevertheless it would be cool with someone could look over that.
    The other cars I tested (M4,M6, Porsche, Aston) are much easier to drive. I still had my problems with the ABS but it was way better to drive.

NIsmo97_, Simonk and richirichi like this.